Options

Along Came a Spider (x2 Pics)

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited April 22, 2005 in Holy Macro
I got a spider, I got a spider whooohoooooooo!!!!!! :clap :clap
I love it when someone gives me a new bug :D

This spider was given to me by one of the Computer Guys at work, he lives on a property right by a Nature Reserve, so he gets all kind of spiders and bugs around his house, I begged him to take my bug catcher home and bring me back a little buddy to photograph :): and he did.

I don't know the name of the spider, but its legs look way too big for it's body, like they are over sized and out of proportion to the spiders body, I let it go the day after it was given to me :D

Shots were taken with a Canon 20D, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Aperature Mode, hand held, Natural light........... enjoy :D Skippy (Australia)

SpiderLrg3T_filtered.jpg

SpiderLrg2_filtered.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    absolutely wonderful!!!!!
    Skippy wrote:
    I got a spider, I got a spider whooohoooooooo!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gif
    I love it when someone gives me a new bug :D

This spider was given to me by one of the Computer Guys at work, he lives on a property right by a Nature Reserve, so he gets all kind of spiders and bugs around his house, I begged him to take my bug catcher home and bring me back a little buddy to photograph :): and he did.

I don't know the name of the spider, but its legs look way too big for it's body, like they are over sized and out of proportion to the spiders body, I let it go the day after it was given to me :D

Shots were taken with a Canon 20D, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Aperature Mode, hand held, Natural light........... enjoy :D Skippy (Australia)
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hi there Troy
    windoze wrote:
    absolutely wonderful!!!!!

I'm really happy with the Canon 100mm Macro, the more I use it the more I feel comfortable with it, I'm really getting the hang of it Troy, the bigger the bug the easier they are to photograph is what I am finding :D

Did you notice I cleaned my sensor???? clap.gif
    All by myself mwink.gif is this a happy face :D < ---- or is this a happy face rolleyes1.gif

Now all I need is more bugs :lol

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Great shots Skippy! Did you take the photos while it was captive, or after you let it go?
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Whoa those are cool! I can't wait to get a "real" macro lens and try stuff like this. Thanks for sharing!

AJ
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    I got a spider, I got a spider whooohoooooooo!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gif

Skippy! These are SWEET! Very sharp, nice light, exellent exposure, and good DOF. Not to mention an really cool looking subject.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    You win:D

You're bugs in Australia are way scarier than the bugs we have here!

Is this one poisonous?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Nice work skip thumb.gif

Thats a female wolf spider. Not very poisonous but in certain conditions i have seen 50-100 in one back yard. They live burrows & the best way to lure them out is to jiggle a bit of grass down their hole...it drives them crazy & they come flying out looking for a fight....make sure you get a slippery bit of grass.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    Skippy,

Nice ones thumb.gifthumb.gif

I replied to your thread over at STF :D

Hey, nice move with Simon clap.gif I hope he comes over, at least for a visit :D

Thanks for posting these super macros of this big ugly......lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    that's no spider it's a monster :uhoh my god it's *gross*
    you amaze me, girlie lol3.gif

congrats, nice job.
    sorry i blew off your last pm and i don't have it anymore :cry
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    way cool, skippy! the last little spider i found went straight down the dunnee lol3.gif if that's how you spell it... had an australian bio teacher some 16 years ago who taught us that?

shots like these have me craving a macro lens! hey, and congrats on your cleaning too clap.gif

sash
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Thanks Mick
    micknewton wrote:
    Great shots Skippy! Did you take the photos while it was captive, or after you let it go?
    I took them after I let it go........I was given the spider while I was at work, and because I work late, I let him sit on the kitchen bench in his contain, (which is actually quite big) over night.

I took him outside in the morning in an area where it didn't matter if he ran because there was only grass and I could keep taking pictures of him, he was very very co-operative :D

I never keep bugs longer than 2 days, if I can't get the shot I want, too bad, my loss, I let them go.

Usually I do shoot them inside the house, but this one was very very active and I figured I would be wasting my time trying to do it, so I didn't even attempt it. .......... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hey MuskyDude
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Whoa those are cool! I can't wait to get a "real" macro lens and try stuff like this. Thanks for sharing!

AJ
    The Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro is a wonderful piece of glass I tell you.
    When your trying to get in real close it will sometimes Hunt, but if that continues, I simply switch it to Manual, the lens is very easy to hand focus.

I really love this lens, it's not just restricted to Macro either thats the other good thing about it :D Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    #2 exactly what my nightmare was about last night :lol4
    great stuff thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Thank you Phil
    Phil U. wrote:
    Skippy! These are SWEET! Very sharp, nice light, exellent exposure, and good DOF. Not to mention an really cool looking subject.
    I'm lucky that the people I work with know I enjoy this type of photography, and will often bring something in for me to photograph.

I will take my bug container back to work today and give it to the Computer Guy to take home again and find me another bug :)

The Canon handles very well indeed, I have not been disappointed even when I stuff up, the stuff ups have great potention too :D

Thank you for your kind words ..... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hi there
    digismile wrote:
    You win:D

You're bugs in Australia are way scarier than the bugs we have here!

Is this one poisonous?
    Ohhhhhhhh yeah the bugs here will rip your bloody arms off NOT :lol
    They only look scarey cause it's a close up, these spiders blend in very well with their surroundings, when I was first given the spider my first thought was wow you can clearly see it's eyes clap.gif it's those eyes that make a great photo.

We do have poisonous spiders here in Australia, but you rarely hear of people dying from bites these days............ Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hey there Humungus
    Humungus wrote:
    Nice work skip thumb.gif

Thats a female wolf spider. Not very poisonous but in certain conditions i have seen 50-100 in one back yard. They live burrows & the best way to lure them out is to jiggle a bit of grass down their hole...it drives them crazy & they come flying out looking for a fight....make sure you get a slippery bit of grass.
    Ha Ha Ha .........funny you should say make sure you have slippery grass, the grass was indeed wet when I let the spider go rolleyes1.gif

I'd love to find more spiders, but it just aint happening at my place ne_nau.gif

Thanks for looking........ Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hi Steve
    Skippy,

Nice ones thumb.gifthumb.gif

I replied to your thread over at STF :D

Hey, nice move with Simon clap.gif I hope he comes over, at least for a visit :D

Thanks for posting these super macros of this big ugly......lol

Steve
    Thanks Steve........... if only I had a never ending supply of bugs, now how cool would that be iloveyou.gif I'd love it :D Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hey Mr Williams
    andy wrote:
    that's no spider it's a monster :uhoh my god it's *gross*
    you amaze me, girlie lol3.gif

congrats, nice job.
    sorry i blew off your last pm and i don't have it anymore :cry
    Thats okay Andy....... I know your a busy man.

Awwwwww don't you think my spidy has a cute faced eek7.gif l sorta didn't know what eye to look at :lol4 trust me I was looking at all them wondering where he was gonna try to escape to.

Take Care Andy......... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Thanks Sash
    sash wrote:
    way cool, skippy! the last little spider i found went straight down the dunnee lol3.gif if that's how you spell it... had an australian bio teacher some 16 years ago who taught us that?

shots like these have me craving a macro lens! hey, and congrats on your cleaning too clap.gif

sash
    Cleaning my sensor was more scarey than the spider my friend .
    You flushed it :flush you do know that spiders can swim don't ya mwink.gif and walk on water too for that matter :lol4 ya might wanna check under the seat next time ya need to go :lol . Take Care Sash...... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Wow great shot Skippy! I have bumped into one of these before...It was creepy to say the least...I was jumping out of my skin every time something brushed past me for a week:uhoh Oh the drama of being australian. Hey I've got plenty of bugs at my house for youmwink.gif Come and get as many as you like!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Can Ya Run Fast
    bfjr wrote:
    #2 exactly what my nightmare was about last night :lol4
    great stuff thumb.gif
    I love finding new spiders, didn't have to find this one someone gave it to me :D
    Funny........ I don't dream of spiders and such, I often dream I can fly though.

I was given the spider while I was at work so you can just imagine the reaction I got when I took it into the office where I work with 14 other women rolleyes1.gif

I don't know why they freak out, I mean gosh it's in a very secure container, not like I leave the lid off or anything..........hey that's a thought :D

Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    More Bugs???
    rahmonster wrote:
    Wow great shot Skippy! I have bumped into one of these before...It was creepy to say the least...I was jumping out of my skin every time something brushed past me for a week:uhoh Oh the drama of being australian. Hey I've got plenty of bugs at my house for youmwink.gif Come and get as many as you like!
    Ohhhhhh coolness, send em over clap.gif
    They frighten me too those big ones, I'm okay with them as long as they don't actually get on me rolleyes1.gif I just make sure I have everything I need to get the shot, including my little dental tools which come in so handy when needing to move bugs without touching or hurting them.

I hope someone can find another scorpion for me to photograph with this new gear.........thanks for looking........ Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    clap.gifclap.gif Yeah, I'd say you were comfortable with that 100.rolleyes1.gif Awesome stuff!thumb.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Skip...a safer way to get them out of their holes (than the jiggling grass method) is to get an eye dropper & put a tad of metho down the hole. They dont like the fumes & will come out & stand very still for a min or 2. The metho wont harm them as long as you only use a few drops.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 22, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Cleaning my sensor was more scarey than the spider my friend .
    You flushed it :flush you do know that spiders can swim don't ya mwink.gif and walk on water too for that matter :lol4 ya might wanna check under the seat next time ya need to go :lol . Take Care Sash...... Skippy (Australia)
    it would had to have been the david copperfield of spiders to fight its way out of a big wad of tissue while going down lol3.gif

sash
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Hi there Khaos
    Khaos wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gif Yeah, I'd say you were comfortable with that 100.rolleyes1.gif Awesome stuff!thumb.gif

I really do love the lens, and it does perform well, it's just time getting used to the camera, it's settings and the different lenses :D

I always look forward to finding a new bug :D
    Thanks for looking ..... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Hey Humungus
    Humungus wrote:
    Skip...a safer way to get them out of their holes (than the jiggling grass method) is to get an eye dropper & put a tad of metho down the hole. They dont like the fumes & will come out & stand very still for a min or 2. The metho wont harm them as long as you only use a few drops.

I noticed a heap of Trap Door holes and lids around the side of the house, might give that a try around there , thanks for the tip thumb.gif
    Skippy (Australia)