Options

All-Time Top Photos rating question

jimojimojimojimo Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited October 13, 2008 in SmugMug Support
For the photos in the "All time most popular" galleries, is the rating system set up to ignore views that originate from that gallery itself?
Thanks,
--Jim

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    I really don't understand your question ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    jimojimo wrote:
    For the photos in the "All time most popular" galleries, is the rating system set up to ignore views that originate from that gallery itself?
    Thanks,
    --Jim
    For any of the "popular" galleries a photo has to be voted on.
    See this help page.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-online-photo-album
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I really don't understand your question ne_nau.gif
    If the photos are ranked based on Hits, then once one is in the popular section, just by being there it will continue to grow in 'popularity' from people just cruising by that page, but maybe they don't like the photo at all.

So I'm asking if photos get in the 'popular' section soley by people visiting and viewing the author's own gallery where the photo originated, or if hits from the 'popular' gallery also count, which would tend to skew each photo's 'hit count' much higher.

Another repsonder said it had to be 'ranked' with the thumbs, but here again, photo's are rankable from the 'popular' page, so once a photo makes this page it has greater chance for higher ratings.

So in summary, how do photos get in the 'popular' section in the first place, and, once there, is their rating then subject to being skewed higher due to their existence on the popular page.
    Thanks,
    --Jim
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    jimojimo wrote:
    If the photos are ranked based on Hits, then once one is in the popular section, just by being there it will continue to grow in 'popularity' from people just cruising by that page, but maybe they don't like the photo at all.

So I'm asking if photos get in the 'popular' section soley by people visiting and viewing the author's own gallery where the photo originated, or if hits from the 'popular' gallery also count, which would tend to skew each photo's 'hit count' much higher.

Another repsonder said it had to be 'ranked' with the thumbs, but here again, photo's are rankable from the 'popular' page, so once a photo makes this page it has greater chance for higher ratings.

So in summary, how do photos get in the 'popular' section in the first place, and, once there, is their rating then subject to being skewed higher due to their existence on the popular page.
    Thanks,
    --Jim

It's not just "hits" that gets a photo there. I don't think Smugmug explains exactly what the algorithm is, but I believe it has more to do with when people vote "thumbs up" on it than just hits. So people have to not only see it, but make a conscious vote that they like it to get in the most prominent positions.

I've always imagined that once a photo gets into the popular section it does have some advantages because it is more likely to be seen (essentially, it gets advertised). But, over time, if you have other photos that people like more they do seem to slowly crawl up the rankings. I accidentally cleared the ranking on my top most popular photo and, while it took almost 6 months, it did return to near the top again.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    jFriend,
    Thanks very much, that is along the lines of what I'd suspected.

On a similar note--I'm new to smugmug and when I first saw that thumbs up/down icon I clicked on it because I though it was a single link which lead to a rating page with stars or whatever. But my click happened to be on the down thumb, and so I gave my own photo a down rating. I was not able to figure out how to clear it. How does one clear the rating?

Also, on the popular gallery, where can one find how many thumbs up/down a photo has, or is that kept secret?
    Thanks,
    --Jim
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    jimojimo wrote:
    jFriend,
    Thanks very much, that is along the lines of what I'd suspected.

On a similar note--I'm new to smugmug and when I first saw that thumbs up/down icon I clicked on it because I though it was a single link which lead to a rating page with stars or whatever. But my click happened to be on the down thumb, and so I gave my own photo a down rating. I was not able to figure out how to clear it. How does one clear the rating?

Also, on the popular gallery, where can one find how many thumbs up/down a photo has, or is that kept secret?
    Thanks,
    --Jim

I am not aware of any way to find out what the current thumbs up/down count is on photos. So far, it looks like Smugmug hasn't chosen to share it.

You can clear the rating by replacing the photo with an identical version. In my case, made a 2nd copy and deleted the original. I think doing replace photo also clears the ratings. And, rotating left and then right might also clear the ratings (if my memory serves me), but I haven't tried that myself.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question