Options

Smugmug won't load?

fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited October 14, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I bought an account in September but recently I haven't been able to load Smugmug's website form my college. Can't even access my account through Macdaddy. The page jsut sits there till the connection times out. I've contacted IT and they claim it's not being blocked on campus and that it's a problem on your guys end.

Of course I highly doubt this since the blockage happened immediately after they installed a new filter here at the school, but just want to cover all my bases so I can show IT that it IS something on their end.
Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
16-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-105 4.0L
www.timkerigan.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    No probs on our end - but, what's your site name please?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Sorry, meant to include that: fullofpaint.smugmug.com

I should mention this this problem is true for any smugmug gallery, for example all the pictures linked from smugmug on this forum don't load either.
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    It loads and works just fine for me for whatever that's worth.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    yea I pretty much know that it's my college's fault but our IT department is terrible. They didn't even respond to my e-mails about this problem till 2 or 3 of us spammed their e-mail box with it as we all have smugmug accounts and all have this problem (This was after waiting like 2 weeks for them to get back to us). But I need to show them it's not SmugMug's fault so hence this thread.
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    yea I pretty much know that it's my college's fault but our IT department is terrible. They didn't even respond to my e-mails about this problem till 2 or 3 of us spammed their e-mail box with it as we all have smugmug accounts and all have this problem (This was after waiting like 2 weeks for them to get back to us). But I need to show them it's not SmugMug's fault so hence this thread.

If you want some evidence that it's their fault, then you probably need to diagnose it further to figure out what they are blocking and then show them that evidence. You may already know the answer to some of these questions, but here's the order I would attack things:
    1. Can you access the site at all? Is anything loading from your site at all? If not, then do go to a command prompt and do a "tracert fullofpaint.smugmug.com" and send IT the results.
    2. If some of your site loads, but not the rest, then you need to figure out what specifically is being blocked within the page.
    3. Can you see this image in your browser: http://fullofpaint.smugmug.com/photos/364202852_oi46h-L.jpg?
    4. Can you see this thumbnail image in your browser: http://fullofpaint.smugmug.com/photos/364202587_ffxdA-Ti.jpg?
    5. Can you see this script file in your browser: http://cdn.smugmug.com/include/js/yui_core-min-ffd8107fa87dac7244ce839b77d8676f.js
    6. When you go to this page, does everything look normal? Are cookies and javascript enabled?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    yea I did almost all of that actually like right before you posted that haha.

But thanks for the summary, I didn't think to check for cookies, actually not sure how that would affect things?
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    yea I did almost all of that actually like right before you posted that haha.

But thanks for the summary, I didn't think to check for cookies, actually not sure how that would affect things?

So, what were the results of the tests?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2008
    Couldn't access anything.

Just got an e-mail fro IT this morning saying they had resolved the problem though and I just checked and can now access the site again! thumb.gif

It had been marked as a Peer to Peer site apparently by the filter so it prevented any connection to the site
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com