Options

Staring out to sea

TA-2DTA-2D Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 19, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hi everyone im a newbie here and just wanted your opinion on a photo i took today, i know you guys know your stuff so any comments are much appreciated. I took this pic today its my son staring out to sea fom Ayr beach on the west coast of Scotland, i really like the photo, it was taken on my Nokia phone. Comments much appreciated. Thanks.

stormjn5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    TA-2D wrote:
    Hi everyone im a newbie here and just wanted your opinion on a photo i took today, i know you guys know your stuff so any comments are much appreciated. I took this pic today its my son staring out to sea fom Ayr beach on the west coast of Scotland, i really like the photo, it was taken on my Nokia phone. Comments much appreciated. Thanks.

That is pretty good picture for being taken from a phone camera. I like the shot and the composition.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif
    The sea and sky look quite ominous. Was a storm brewing?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I agree....this is a keeper :D

You have to wonder what goes though a childs mind when looking at such a vast body of water from his eye level.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Thanks, some interesting comments, i like the photo but just couldnt pin point what it was exactly that i liked, there was a storm brewing as it started to rain shortly after taking the photo, i like the comment:
    You have to wonder what goes though a childs mind when looking at such a vast body of water from his eye level.

I want to name the photo and would love some suggestions, Staring out to sea being the obvious, thanks
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Name/Title for the photo.....you could come up with so many, but I would concentrate on your son for the title and not the sea in my opinion. The sea speaks loudly all by itself. The fact that you can't see our son's face opens the door to may possiblities for a title.

Good Luck picking one thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    First, I have never seen such a high quality image from a cell phone. You could probably get a half decent 4X6 print out of this.

The composition, sea, and dramatic sky shows you have a good eye for photography.

If you like capturing images like this you need to get your self a DLSR.

Sam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 18, 2008
    The sea has always amazed me. Such a powerful thing yet so very calming at the same time. I can sit for hours and just watch the waves upon the shore. I wonder if a child sees the same thing?

Back to the picture. I very much like the picture. It definitely is something you'd want to keep. I do think a more horizontal crop would work nicely. I hope you don't mind, but I tried that. I've darkended the sky a bit as well as lightened the foreground.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    Thanks for the advice and i love what you've done with the photo, My cell phones a Nokia N95 8GB with 5 mega pixel camera although i think the stored image sizes was 980kb its such a pity as ive mostly always got my fuji finepix camera with me except on this occassion, id like to print it out 10 x 8 inch size but doubt the pixel quality will start to deteriorate at that size. Theres a local camera club that meet up weekly near where i live and ive always thought about going along, maybe i will now.

I have always loved taking photos and have a vast collection kind of like a photo diary of the last ten years, ive got eight albums each containing three hundred photos, all in order from back in '98 to the present day, just photos of holidays, birthdays, day and nights out, places ive been, people ive hung out with, my wedding, and son growing up, hes three now, i think it'll be something he will appreciate when hes older, im 30 years old now so its strange to look back to when i was 20, the things ive been doing and places ive been again as i said its like having a photo diary.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    TA-2D wrote:
    Thanks for the advice and i love what you've done with the photo, My cell phones a Nokia N95 8GB with 5 mega pixel camera although i think the stored image sizes was 980kb its such a pity as ive mostly always got my fuji finepix camera with me except on this occassion, id like to print it out 10 x 8 inch size but doubt the pixel quality will start to deteriorate at that size. Theres a local camera club that meet up weekly near where i live and ive always thought about going along, maybe i will now.

I have always loved taking photos and have a vast collection kind of like a photo diary of the last ten years, ive got eight albums each containing three hundred photos, all in order from back in '98 to the present day, just photos of holidays, birthdays, day and nights out, places ive been, people ive hung out with, my wedding, and son growing up, hes three now, i think it'll be something he will appreciate when hes older, im 30 years old now so its strange to look back to when i was 20, the things ive been doing and places ive been again as i said its like having a photo diary.

Wonderful that you have a photo diary clap.gif There is no better way to save those precious moments in your life.
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Welcome to DGrin! wave.gif As the others have said, you definitely have a nice eye for composition! I like you avatar, as well. :cool
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 19, 2008
    When the wee lad grows up, he'll be thankful you've documented so much of life.
    What a treat to look back over the years. Nicely done thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    Glad you like my avatar, i tweeked the colours using google picasso. Still thinking of a name for my photo, staring out to sea is a bit obvious and as has been mentioned in replys that the sea in the photo speaks for itself, i agree with Dogdots comment that the name lies in what my son sees/ is thinking so i thought of naming it "wonder" Suggestions welcome, you have a great forum here with very clever and friendly people.

Tried to post a larger pic of my avatar but having probs posting it on here.

http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0953pr2.jpg