Options

Please Help!

GeorgiaOnMyMindGeorgiaOnMyMind Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 19, 2008 in Technique
In an effort to take a moving water picture on our last vacation, my husband changed numerous settings on my camera (Canon Digital Rebel XT). Since that time, my photos have been consistently grainy even with a flash when I'm used to it taking beautiful pictures with crisp blacks. I reset the camera back to factory defaults, but I can't seem to solve the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have attached a photo that demonstrates what I am seeing.

Comments

• Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    I'm not really familiar with Rebels, but you might want to see if there are noise reductions settings that are turned off, and check to see if it is on auto ISO. Higher ISO = grainy.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Your image unfortunately doesn't have any of the file information that would make it easier to help! Oh well. It looks like the ISO setting is on too high a setting.

I look online on the canon website and took a look at the Rebel XT manual. See page 55.

ISO speed is automatically selected in the "Basic Zones". So what setting do you put the dial on top? Probably not one of the basic zones. Try pushing the ISO button on the back of your camera (just above the set button). Use the up and down arrows to pick something between 100-400. The lower the number the less grainy a photo will be.

Try this first, and see how it helps.
  • Options
    GeorgiaOnMyMindGeorgiaOnMyMind Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 19, 2008
    It looks like my ISO speed was set to 1600! I tried taking several test shots here in my living room to see if the problem was resolved, but all of them look identical to me. I will take more pictures outside later on with the ISO set between 100 and 400 (user manual said that was how I get it to do it automatically) and see how it goes. Thanks for your suggestions!