Options

Just curious

OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
edited October 19, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've noticed recently that when I copy a link using the Share button, the link frequently has "-1" appended to the url, like this:

/photos/XXXXXXX_xxxxx-M-1.jpg

I usually do my links manually (not using the share button) so maybe it's always been this way and I just noticed it because I have the share button turned on in a unlisted gallery and I'm using it at the moment to reduce typos.

It appears that using or not using the -1 doesn't make a difference, the image looks fine either way, best that I can tell. But if I were to write the link manually as I usually do I would not be including the -1 as there is no way to see that without clicking the Share button (it doesn't show in the URL).

What is the significance of the -1? :scratch

edited: changed "private" to "unlisted", used the wrong term

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    If you watermark, rotate, replace, do a color effect, crop - those sorts of things - you'll get a -1, -2 -3 etc.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    If you watermark, rotate, replace, do a color effect, crop - those sorts of things - you'll get a -1, -2 -3 etc.

To add to this, just using a plain suffix (-M.jpg instead -M-1.jpg) without the number on the end will generally still usually get you the latest version. The suffix helps make sure the latest version gets there even if there are caches in between (browser cache, Akamai cache, etc...) that might have an older version in them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Thank you gentlemen, and thank you John for anticipating what my next question would be! When I first read Andy's response I didn't understand why the watermarks were still showing up on my blog when I didn't use the suffix, but I understand now. thumb.gif