Options

Camera remote triggering with PW

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 20, 2008 in Technique
Finally managed to resolve my eternal question of how to trigger my Canon remotely.
PW receiver + mini cable + mini-to-submini adpater + ADIDT cable + camera

The missing piece was $6.42 mini-to-submini plug adapter. :rofl

It works, but the whole ordeal seems to be outrageously expensive and cumbersome, since you need anothwer PW tramitter to thigger this contraption and yet another PW transmitter in the hotshoe to trigger the lights.
I was lucky to have all the expenisve stuff in place already, but it made me wonder if Canon ever gave even a 2 second thought about streamlining the process... :rolleyes :scratch It shouldn't take $300+ and half a dozen parts purchased in 3 different places to activate a darn camera from 10 ft away...:deal
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 19, 2008
    Nick, you're just a step ahead of me.thumb.gif

Since Utah, I've been thinking that light painting would be ever so much easier if I could trip my Canon camera body remotely and not depend on a voice actuated light stand.

Do you have pictures of this set up or links?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    ...a voice actuated light stand.

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

I had to pause for 1/2 sec to get it. HarHarHar!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 20, 2008
    I think that phrase comes from Joe McNally. Or David Hobbie, I'm not really sure ne_nau.gif:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nick, you're just a step ahead of me.thumb.gif

Since Utah, I've been thinking that light painting would be ever so much easier if I could trip my Canon camera body remotely and not depend on a voice actuated light stand.

Do you have pictures of this set up or links?
    I followed this:
    http://blog.rrdphoto.com/2007/05/how-to-pocketwizard-remote-camera.html

I'm mostly thinking of this in terms of studio shooting, when the frame is often fairly static anyway, since it woud allow me to be close to my model and communicate with her easier, as well as play a much needed role of VALS myself. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Hi Nikolai,

Ouch. You need this: 260302278903 <--- plug that into ebay search.

And if expired then search "Pre trigger for Canon" and/or "CM-N3-P"
    (for Nikon use "Pre Trigger for Nikon" and/or "RZM3-P")

The OEM piece from PW is too expensive. The China versions available
    from China and some US stores should tun you under 25 bucks including shipping. It is one cable w/ no adapters.

Should fix the accessory issue.

Here's a pic of my rig. I labeled the switch.

398095990_gY7UG-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Hi Nikolai,

Ouch. You need this: 260302278903 <--- plug that into ebay search.

And if expired then search "Pre trigger for Canon" and/or "CM-N3-P"
    (for Nikon use "Pre Trigger for Nikon" and/or "RZM3-P")

The OEM piece from PW is too expensive. The China versions available
    from China and some US stores should tun you under 25 bucks including shipping. It is one cable w/ no adapters.

Should fix the accessory issue.

Here's a pic of my rig. I labeled the switch.
    David,
    thanks, I was mostly ranting about the need to waste another PW (two, actually) on this. Except for PWs the rest of the rig is cheap: ADIDT cable (ebay) is about $15 and is usuable on its own, the mini cord is about $10 and mini-to-submini adpater is $6 (both from local radioshack), so it wasn't a big deal.
    I hope to use it this week/weekend, so I may have a pic of it soon:-)
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    LOl...Yeah. Those PS are not cheap but they always seem to work. I have to remember that a RRS L-Bracket is almost as much. I have not been a fan of the PW MAX until this weekend when I ran into a great local photographer who was shooting dual D100s in a steroscopic rig and using the intervalometer feature in the PS MAX to do (get this) time-lapse, stereoscopic, Imax work. I don't recall all the post-processing workflow as it was rather intense. :-)

Nikolai wrote:
    David,
    thanks, I was mostly ranting about the need to waste another PW (two, actually) on this. Except for PWs the rest of the rig is cheap: ADIDT cable (ebay) is about $15 and is usuable on its own, the mini cord is about $10 and mini-to-submini adpater is $6 (both from local radioshack), so it wasn't a big deal.
    I hope to use it this week/weekend, so I may have a pic of it soon:-)
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    LOl...Yeah. Those PS are not cheap but they always seem to work. I have to remember that a RRS L-Bracket is almost as much. I have not been a fan of the PW MAX until this weekend when I ran into a great local photographer who was shooting dual D100s in a steroscopic rig and using the intervalometer feature in the PS MAX to do (get this) time-lapse, stereoscopic, Imax work. I don't recall all the post-processing workflow as it was rather intense. :-)
    Time lapsing I can simply do on my Canon TCN remote, that's not a problem.