Options

Airline travel and my camera

trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited April 23, 2005 in Technique
I am contemplating taking my camera on a business trip and need to know if the security screening in either the passenger screening or baggage wil do harm to my CF card or my camer? WHich is the best place to take it on a plane- carry-on or baggae? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
trippy64.smugmug.com
A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    The airport screening will not harm your cards or camera. I have done it sooo many times & many others on this board.

I would not travel on big tin bird if i could not carry my camera on. Seen way too much bad stuff going on with luggage from the window.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    trippy64 wrote:
    I am contemplating taking my camera on a business trip and need to know if the security screening in either the passenger screening or baggage wil do harm to my CF card or my camer? WHich is the best place to take it on a plane- carry-on or baggae? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I defenitely would keep my camera with me at all times. There is great opportunity to shoot from the plane. The world looks different up there...
    No way would I travel with my camera in my check in luggage. You hear of lost luggage all the time.
    Nope, my camera goes wherever I go...
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    photocat wrote:
    I defenitely would keep my camera with me at all times. There is great opportunity to shoot from the plane. The world looks different up there...
    No way would I travel with my camera in my check in luggage. You hear of lost luggage all the time.
    Nope, my camera goes wherever I go...
    Whst lens do find best to use with the plane windows?
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Whst lens do find best to use with the plane windows?

any lens would do, just make sure you have polarizer, so you can play with the colors above the clouds. I so far only used my normal lens, 28 to 200. When I go up the next time, I might try a fish eye... just to see what gives.
    I love taking pics out of an airplane. It makes me forget I am afraid to death on any plane

you can find some of mine here :
    http://photocat.smugmug.com/gallery/284671
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 12, 2005
    photocat wrote:
    any lens would do, just make sure you have polarizer, so you can play with the colors above the clouds. I so far only used my normal lens, 28 to 200. When I go up the next time, I might try a fish eye... just to see what gives.
    I love taking pics out of an airplane. It makes me forget I am afraid to death on any plane

you can find some of mine here :
    http://photocat.smugmug.com/gallery/284671
    Yup, I didn't even have a polarizer... some basic levels adjustment in post gave me these from a Drebel w/kit lens:

12015311-L.jpg

12015326-L.jpg

this second image in particular... I wish I could show you the unaltered version. It was so bad, that I just ran auto levels and auto color (an action I have) and I was literally shocked by the results! Holy cow, it's the city lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    all my gear goes on the plane with me. the security scanners won't hurt your gear or cards or anything.

on small puddle jumpers even! (boston)
    1571696-L-1.jpg

1571623-L-1.jpg

you'd be surprised at the quality you can get, too. this is printed at 36" x 24" and is hanging in my office - it's lovely lovely lovely... (sierra nevada)
    6080311-L.jpg

enjoy (flying) photography,
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 12, 2005
    trippy64 wrote:

Trippy, Keep the camera in your possession in the cabin.

A circular polarizing filter is nice, as has been suggested.

One thing you might add, that is inexpensive, is a rubber screw-in lens hood. They come in various diameters to filt the filter threads on your lens. ( I do not know the diameter of the threads for the kit lens on the D70, but it should be easy to find.) A rubber lens hood lets you place the hood against the cabin window to shade from glare, but will not transmit the vibration from the plane to your camera. They're usually less tha $10. Cheap, and they can screw into your polarizing filters front surface also.

Have fun on your trip and show us your pics when you return clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Here are the 3 photos that I feel came out great, there are a few more that camout out ok here. Otherwise, the lighting was bad and the rain was such that I couldn't even see the white caps I was assured were visible.

20267568-M.jpg
    I liked this photo taken early in the morning at horsetooth lake. Beautiful sunrise up over the valley.

20267613-M.jpg

I found this to be a unique juxtuposition of the hills and the farm implement.

20267621-M-1.jpg

A couple of furry friends checking me out.
    Please feel free to comment
    trippy64.smugmug.com

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    trippy64 wrote:
    Here are the 3 photos that I feel came out great, there are a few more that camout out ok here. Otherwise, the lighting was bad and the rain was such that I couldn't even see the white caps I was assured were visible.

20267568-Ti.jpg

Lovely thumb.gif where is this?
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Lovely thumb.gif where is this?
    see the edited post, I hit enter a tad too soon. It is horsetooth lake west of Ft Collins CO.
    trippy64.smugmug.com

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Trippy ..."life is like a box of choc........
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    Wow...I'm glad I didn't see that out of the window of my plane yesterday...
  • Options
    schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    Here's a few from out the airplane window. The first one is Hoover Dam and the second one is the Grand Canyon. Your shots will initally look washed out and flat but a small amount of PP brings out the color and contrast.

18216833-S.jpg

6025703-S.jpg
    Youth is wasted on the young!