Options

So how long does it take you to upload?

Cougar548Cougar548 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited October 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I just uploaded my first big gallery and I actually had to split it into two different uploads. I didn't get info from the first upload for I canceled it halfway through but I did get info from the second upload. It took 7 hours to upload 49 photos! That's almost 9 minutes per picture!

I took the pictures with my 5D (RAW), fixed them in lightroom and exported through the SmugMug plugin you guys provided. Should I have downsized them some or just left them the original size?

I just can't imagine trying to upload 200 pictures... at this rate it would take 2 days to upload! Help! :dunno

Comments

• Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Cougar548 wrote:
    I just uploaded my first big gallery and I actually had to split it into two different uploads. I didn't get info from the first upload for I canceled it halfway through but I did get info from the second upload. It took 7 hours to upload 49 photos! That's almost 9 minutes per picture!

I took the pictures with my 5D (RAW), fixed them in lightroom and exported through the SmugMug plugin you guys provided. Should I have downsized them some or just left them the original size?

I just can't imagine trying to upload 200 pictures... at this rate it would take 2 days to upload! Help! ne_nau.gif

Cougar - What kind of connection do you have? That sounds like a dialup connection.

I have a 10/2 FIOS connection, and it takes me an average of 55 seconds per photo to upload. The photos I've been uploading are JPG files of about 5-7 meg apiece.

How big are your JPG files? What uploader are you using?

Mike.
  • Options
    Cougar548Cougar548 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    I would go CRAZY if I had dialup! I actually have cable at 100mb/s, which is why the "9 minutes per image" is driving me nuts. I first used the SmugMug plugin available in Lightroom but then switched to the 3rd-party program "Send to Smugmug" by Omar Shahine.

As for my file size, I never really looked at it until now and the average file size is 6000KB....damn.

Looks like I need to shrink down my files some? Anyone got any tips on compression while still keeping the files a good quality. I'm just afraid to get them too small and then have them grainy. Thanks!

Chad

Cougar - What kind of connection do you have? That sounds like a dialup connection.

I have a 10/2 FIOS connection, and it takes me an average of 55 seconds per photo to upload. The photos I've been uploading are JPG files of about 5-7 meg apiece.

How big are your JPG files? What uploader are you using?

Mike.
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Cougar548 wrote:
    I would go CRAZY if I had dialup! I actually have cable at 100mb/s, which is why the "9 minutes per image" is driving me nuts. I first used the SmugMug plugin available in Lightroom but then switched to the 3rd-party program "Send to Smugmug" by Omar Shahine.

As for my file size, I never really looked at it until now and the average file size is 6000KB....damn.

Looks like I need to shrink down my files some? Anyone got any tips on compression while still keeping the files a good quality. I'm just afraid to get them too small and then have them grainy. Thanks!

Chad

When I export from Lightroom, I chose quality 10 (I think, LR is at home). I probably could chose quality 7 or 8, but 10 is what I've chosen.

Andy had a post a while back and I can't find it with regards to what size photos you should upload. I'll see if I can find it and send you a link.

Also, a suggestion, look at Star*Explorer for uploading. It works much nicer (IMO) than any of the other uploaders, including the one that works from within Lightroom. It's a worthwhile purchase, and it also has a trial period where you can try it out. I'm not the author, just a happy customer. www.starexplorer.com

Mike.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Cougar548 wrote:

Chad

Hi Chad,

You can save your files in photoshop at jpeg 8 which will reduce the file size dramatically. Your customers will be able to order full size prints and, if you set proof delay, you can replace any pictures ordered with full size images. This help page explains different file sizes and THis help page explains proof delay.

To help us see the quality of your connection would you mind running a line quality test for us? You go here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality
    Sign up and run the test. Registration there is free. After you run the test, copy the link to the results for us. That will let us know if there is an issue with the line preventing photos from arriving to our servers.

Try these instructions to run a traceroute on a PC:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2959046
    That will help us see if and where any problems may be.

You can email the results of the tests to the helpdesk http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

I will watch for your reply.

hth
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Seamus wrote:
    You can save your files in photoshop at jpeg 8 which will reduce the file size dramatically.
    In LightRoom that would be 80. Don't use 8 in LightRoom, since that will lower the quality too much thumb.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    In LightRoom that would be 80. Don't use 8 in LightRoom, since that will lower the quality too much thumb.gif

Thanks Ivarthumb.gif