Options

Help SmugMug evaluate a compression technology

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited October 21, 2008 in SmugMug Support
We've been meeting with an impressive team of guys who sell "perceptually lossless JPEG compression." My first two thoughts were, "The dgrin powers of perception are more powerful than you're used to," and "Haven't I heard this song before?"

But looking at their samples on 8x10 prints, we couldn't see a difference between the original JPEG and and their ~30% smaller images (in bytes).

We'd like to check them against images you provide. If you have a few images that you think would make good tests, post them here and I'll post their versions so we can compare.

What makes a good test case? Images with hard, contrasy lines on solid colors and images that contain red often show traditional JPEG compression artifacts.

334290495_zqEkV-XL.jpg

Dark mountains against a blue sky produce ringing artifacts where the mountain and sky meet. But maybe with this new algorithm, the differences will be seen on other types of images.

For some of your images, I'll produce 30x40 prints on both paper and Duraclear and show them around in a double-blind test.

Why would we do this? For one thing, if our display copies are 30% smaller and perceptually the same, our site will seem faster for most people.

Your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    HaighHaigh Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    You guys never stop searching for improvements! Congrats! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

If you´re thinking about using the compressed images only for scaled down displays on the site while keeping the originals for printing (which seems wise and inline with your current policy to me) then I guess your blind tests have to check perception on monitors as well as on print.

I know prints will really show the differences but if images pass severe testing for displaying but fail in printing tests, then the use of the compressor might still be a possibility. Display testing will also be a lot cheaper than print testing.

As a testing method, I suggest creating galleries with test images in all smugmug sizes comparing both methods. The friendly smugmug interface is a lot better for viewing and comparing sizes than the dgrin thread.

I also suggest applying their compression on originals of various JPEG compression settings. Some people out there use very high compressions and the added effects can be disastrous.

It´s also important to test the effect of the order resizing/compression. Compressing smugmug resized images may have a different effect than resizing a compressed image (size-wise and quality-wise). You´ll need to switch the images produced by the automatic smugmug resizer to do this in the gallery interface but that´s not a problem as you have the backdoor keys....

I also suggest testing images that customers have already mentioned when referring to compressions settings in Dgrin threads like these:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=85085
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51724

My 2 cents

Robert
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    Personally ... compression on images which will be used for web viewing? Go ahead. Heck strip them down to make it load faster and use less drive space ... I am all for it. Just keep it looking good mwink.gif

However, please do not compress the originals ... and use the originals for prints.

SmugMug is the best! Always improving. thumb.gif
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Baldy, I think you've got us a little confused here. You're talking about prints and you're talking about display copies. We all thought prints were made from our originals which means prints would have nothing to do with a new compression technology.

Display copies, however, have everything to do with compression and load time. So, are you only talking about the possibility of using a new compression engine for the generation of web display copies? If so, then I think you should do as another poster suggested. Find hundreds of troublesome images and put up a gallery where the display copies are made with the new compression engine and let us all look at them. I personally don't see compression artifacts as easily as some, but I do know there are some who see them quite easily.

If you really wanted a torture test, you'd put two copies of the image in the gallery right next to each other, one with the old technology and one with the new and add a caption that lists the filesize.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2008
    To use the technology for display copies, it would have to survive a lot of scrutiny, which is the place to start. If it doesn't survive that, no need to think about originals.

It would have to survive enormous scrutiny to think about using it for originals. JPEG compression levels have survived enormous scrutiny, but we haven't done anything about it even tho it's a very expensive decision. For example, there is no perceptual difference between a JPEG 12 saved in Photoshop with JPEG 9, except the JPEG 12 is 3 or 4 times the bytes. So all the pro print labs ask for JPEG 10, adding a point or two for comfort and safety.

We encourage JPEG 10 too for a variety of reasons, but accept JPEG 12 when we receive them and don't alter them. JPEG 10 benefits us because our storage costs are lower but also because we can process them faster. They benefit the person who's uploading them, because upload times get three times longer with 12 as opposed to 10.

My reason for wanting to make big prints is I want to know if it degrades, and how. With JPEG we know: it gets ringing artifacts in certain images.

We'd also love to know if there is any perceptual degradation on originals. One reason is we receive quite a number of images that are in a color space like CMYK or are larger than 48 megapixels, etc., and for a long time we rejected them, tormenting the majority of people who just want us to do the right thing, which is most often to process them anyway. Or we have to rotate and they've cropped, so lossless rotation is not possible.

But we often don't know what JPEG compression they used, so we have to pick a number. If we pick 10 we expand and degrade their images if they had picked, say, 7 or 8 like cameras use for many sport shooters. But we compress the original if they picked 11 like some fine settings on cameras, or 12 like many save as with Photoshop.

What if in those cases we used this compression technique?

Another reason for looking at originals is today's display copy is not necessarily tomorrow's. When we started, our display copies went to 800 pixels and were compressed more than the 1600-pixel display copies we have now and artifacts are more easily seen with LCD monitors, which weren't in use by high-end people when we started.
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    If you really wanted a torture test, you'd put two copies of the image in the gallery right next to each other, one with the old technology and one with the new and add a caption that lists the filesize.
    Yes, that's similar to the torture test I'd like to do, except I'd like it to be double-blind. I know some JPEG 12 images that look better than JPEG 10 images except when the test is blind.

I'd also like to start with a smaller sample set because we found before that when the sample set gets large, each image gets less scrutiny and the testers don't spend the time per image to find subtle differences.
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    This one has always had artifacts all over the place:
    137579222_NestZ-M.jpg
  • Options
    renstar wrote:
    This one has always had artifacts all over the place:
    137579222_NestZ-M.jpg
    Yeah, that's a very difficult photo. Highly saturated, high-contrast borders... Notice the original has artifacts:

380301849_e5sDe-O-2.jpg
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, that's a very difficult photo. Highly saturated, high-contrast borders... Notice the original has artifacts:

380301849_e5sDe-O-2.jpg
    Yeah, could be a function of the choice of compression I made back then ( I have no idea what it was). The high saturation is a function of my newbieness to digital photography and post processing at the time, but.. the artifacts in the display versions are worse than in the original. I was just curious if this new algorithm was able to not amplify the issue.

-r
  • Options
    ChrisP6ChrisP6 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    JPEG Test Image
    This one seems particularly challenged. It looks brilliant in the original RAW, but JPEGs really have a tough time with the blue gradient filtered sky. Chris.
    399434156_r8sBo-L.jpg