Options

upload error

kristencatakristencata Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited October 22, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi,
When I try and upload my image (which I edited in photoshop) it goes through the process of sending the message, but then gives me the word "Error" when it should be uploaded. I have saved the image in several different formats (I.E. .jpg, .psd, .jpeg, JPG). I'm a bit frustrated b/c it's the image I would like to use as my banner...anyone have advice?

Thanks a bunch,
Kristen

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Hi,
    When I try and upload my image (which I edited in photoshop) it goes through the process of sending the message, but then gives me the word "Error" when it should be uploaded. I have saved the image in several different formats (I.E. .jpg, .psd, .jpeg, JPG). I'm a bit frustrated b/c it's the image I would like to use as my banner...anyone have advice?

Thanks a bunch,
    Kristen

If you go to your control panel, click on the stats tab, then find the link that says View Log. That might tell you some more information about why the files didn't upload. If you didn't just upload them today, then you might have to click on the "week" or "month" link at the top of that page.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    If you go to your control panel, click on the stats tab, then find the link that says View Log. That might tell you some more information about why the files didn't upload. If you didn't just upload them today, then you might have to click on the "week" or "month" link at the top of that page.

Thanks for you reply. I followed your directions and found that it says two different reasons for the error messages:
    1. upload problem: wrong bytes received
    OR
    2.upload problem: unknown video codec. Would you like a SmugVault?

I don't want to pay for smugvault...know what my next option is? I feel that it's something to do with my layers in photoshop or something.

Thanks, Kristen :-)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Thanks for you reply. I followed your directions and found that it says two different reasons for the error messages:
    OR

I don't want to pay for smugvault...know what my next option is? I feel that it's something to do with my layers in photoshop or something.

You should only be uploading a true JPEG image (or maybe a PNG for special purposes only) which can have no layers. You can't just rename a file to have a .jpeg extension - it must truly be a JPEG image. If you have a layered file in Photoshop, then you would do File/Save As and pick the JPEG file type in the dialog. That will then create a JPEG file with all the layers flattened (your working copy in Photoshop won't be flattened, only the JPEG that is saved out to disk). Is this what you've done or is there a possibility that you weren't actually trying to upload a legitimate JPEG image?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 21, 2008
    OR

Hi Kristen :)

Make sure that the file is in one of our supported file formats and within our size requirements:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos

If you continue to have problems, please let us know.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi Kristen :)

Make sure that the file is in one of our supported file formats and within our size requirements:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos

If you continue to have problems, please let us know.

Okay, I went back and corrected the way I saved the file. All is well now...please let me know what y'all think of it (bayouroadphotography.com). Still very much a work in progress, but I would feedback. Thanks to both of you for your help.