Options

New Portrait Territory For Me - Looking for some feedback

lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited October 23, 2008 in People
New territory for me. I didn't have any experience in formal studio type portraits (am currently taking some lighting courses to try to learn the basics), but a friend, who was interested in getting some headshots done, was brave enough to let me give it a try. She also hasn't done any modeling before so we were the blind leading the blind!

We did various head shots as well as full body shots (the lighting was pretty bad on the full body shots unfortunately so going to try those again in a little while). We had tons of fun though and have already been making tons of notes about things to do differently and try for next time. The lighting equipment I have isn't the greatest yet. I have an SB600 that I use off-camera on a stand with an umbrella and for the inside ones there was natural light coming from a bit window to my right. I also had an old wardrobe frame with a white sheet to my left to attempt to reflect back any light to the model since the walls in the room aren't white. I also have a 5-in-1 reflector that I tried to play with a bit.

These were probably the best of the bunch. I still need to do editing on them.

I'd be interested in any C&C anyone has on any aspect of these before I go too much further.

#1 - inside
301989301_Zebtf-L-2.jpg

#2 - inside
301990795_oK3NV-L-2.jpg

#3 - outside
303710259_egFw4-L-1.jpg

#4 - outside
301994830_xmgin-L-2.jpg

#5 - outside
301996070_ft2GT-L-2.jpg

#6 - inside
303726235_LYLYR-L.jpg

#7 - inside
303703620_uutAp-L-1.jpg

#8 - inside
303704547_kGxXW-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

-- Lisa P.

Comments

• Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Those top two are pretty darn clear for 1/10th of second! I like #2, and imagine she does too.

You do have some light fall off on the bottom few. Her black top blends into the shadows here and there.

These shots should encourage you to try more...
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    Those top two are pretty darn clear for 1/10th of second! I like #2, and imagine she does too.

You do have some light fall off on the bottom few. Her black top blends into the shadows here and there.

These shots should encourage you to try more...

Thanks for the comments.

We were both surprised that we ended up with a few potential keepers out of the bunch. Our expectations were pretty low though..haha. I know that my SB600 isn't enough light for full length shots, so I'll have to invest in some more lighting. (soon I hope) And next time she's going to try some different colour clothing besides black as well. I definitely can't wait for the next time. :)

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    On images 6, 7 & 8 she is too close to that background. Step away about 4 feet. Good job otherwise.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    On images 6, 7 & 8 she is too close to that background. Step away about 4 feet. Good job otherwise.

Thanks for the advice, Seneca. I think I'm definitely going to have to get rid of the dining room table next time to give more room. Either that or finally clear out the room in the basement that I plan on using to more permanently set up for photography.....

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    I hope it's ok to bump this up once in case anyone who didn't see this on the weekend might have any more feedback/advice for me.

Thanks! :)

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    IFS08IFS08 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2008
    I vote for #7 and find #8 a little disturbing as if there is no point for the undressed nature of the model.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Eyes in Focus
    For a first try they are a good start. #7 is my favorite.

I like tight crops, but these a just a tad too close for my taste and some are a bit over exposed and others seem a a bit under. That all takes lots of practice and adjusting. You can watch your histogram as an aid to gettin the exposure a bit more right on although metering is a better way to go but no longer always needed.

The other thing I see is that the eyes aren't quite in focus and to me that is always number one - sharp eyes in the studio.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thanks so much for your comments and tips ISF08 and ChatKat. Very much appreciated! :)

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    lisap wrote:
    Thanks so much for your comments and tips ISF08 and ChatKat. Very much appreciated! :)

-- Lisa P.

The first few have too little space left over in the direction she's looking. Take it back a little in the direction someone is looking or something is moving.

6 is my favourite! thumb.gif

Malte
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thank you very much for the feedback Malte :)

-- Lisa P.