Options

Categories and Gallery Managment

PB MediaPB Media Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited October 23, 2008 in SmugMug Support
The current way to manage categories and sub categories is pretty clumsy. In 'customize gallery', there's a bunch of random categories which means searching through all them to find the custom categories. The random categories should be removed or at least separated.

Instead of the drop down menus to create, delete, and rename categories on the 'custom categories' page, having all the categories and subcategories in a list/table in an outline format on a single page with categories furthest left, then subcatagories or galleries, then galleries in subcategories, (even those sub-gallery pages, so it's no longer a hack) with icons to delete, rename, or edit would make category and gallery management so much simpler.

I started this thread because it's frustrating how long it takes to reorganize categories and galleries and also because of a bug. I can't rename a Category to a name I've used in the past. Renaming Sportss to Sports, it says "Erg...You already have a category by that name." I don't.

Pricing should also be done this way, maybe in a tab of that page. Having to set prices for a gallery, then apply prices from that gallery to other galleries seems more complicated and confusing than it should be. It would be nice if you could have different pricing sets...ie: Sports, Fine Art and apply them to certain categories, sub categories, and galleries simply, in that list.
my smugmug: PB media

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    PB Media wrote:
    ... Renaming Sportss to Sports, it says "Erg...You already have a category by that name." I don't...
    Sports is one of the default Smugmug category names and you can not
    rename or delete them.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2008
    Oh. Is there a way to put my probably 50 galleries from Sportss under the Sports Category? Doing it manually would take a long time...
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    Does anyone know?
  • Options
    mike_floodmike_flood Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    sub-galleries
    PB Media wrote:
    The current way to manage categories and sub categories is pretty clumsy. In 'customize gallery', there's a bunch of random categories which means searching through all them to find the custom categories. The random categories should be removed or at least separated.

Instead of the drop down menus to create, delete, and rename categories on the 'custom categories' page, having all the categories and subcategories in a list/table in an outline format on a single page with categories furthest left, then subcatagories or galleries, then galleries in subcategories, (even those sub-gallery pages, so it's no longer a hack) with icons to delete, rename, or edit. That would make category and gallery management so much simpler.

I agree. The process to great sub-galleries (which it's implied can be done)
    totally evades me.
    I have a Gallery Catagory named "Trave" In travel I have a Gallery named "Hawaii" In that gallery I'd like to have a sub-gallery named " Flowers & Foliage"

So far I haven't figured out how to do that.headscratch.gif
    :thumb Best Regards,
    Mike Flood
  • Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    mike_flood wrote:
    totally evades me.
    I have a Gallery Catagory named "Trave" In travel I have a Gallery named "Hawaii" In that gallery I'd like to have a sub-gallery named " Flowers & Foliage"

As I understand it, you can't. You can have have the "Travel" category, then a sub-category called "Flowers & Foliage" into which you can classify different albums
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    mike_flood wrote:
    totally evades me.

So far I haven't figured out how to do that.headscratch.gif

No galleries within galleries. The only way I know to do what you are trying to accomplish is to create Hawaii as a sub-category under the Travel category. Then, you can have multiple galleries under Hawaii ... "Flowers & Foliage", "Landscape", and what have you.

If you want to see an example of how that works -- see my Europe Category (http://eenusa.smugmug.com/Europe) Each of the trips to Turkey is a subcategory.