Good Compact P&S?

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited October 24, 2008 in Cameras
I am in the market for a good P&S that is small / lightweight. I want to start bringing a camera with me when I ride but don't want to bring my DSLR. I have used my phone in the past (see below) but would like something much better. The problem is, most P&S cameras I have used or seen shots of that are in the size range I like suck. They always blow highlights in sunny weather. Shutter lag isn't a problem, although if there is a P&S that is fast, that is a plus.

It also doesn't have to be high on the MP scale. Anywhere between 5-10 will be good if the IQ is good.

So, what's out there?

Want much much better than:
1020081636.jpg

1020081637a.jpg

Comments

• chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Canon G9, or the new G10.

This G-series is an excellent high-end P&S camera line with beautiful imagery and lots of flexibility (easy automatic, coupled with likely the most manual control you'll find in a P&S should you desire). If you happen to already shoot Canon (which it appears you do looking at your smugmug gallery), then it's a bonus since it decreases your learning curve (same language, similar menus, icons, etc) and uses the same software as your dSLR.

Also, the higher-end models in the Panasonic Lumix series are top notch.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    If the G series are too bulky or pricy for you, I highly recommend the Canon SD8XX IS cameras. These have great lens and optical image stabilization that works really well. I have the 800IS.
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    jsedlak wrote:
    I am in the market for a good P&S that is small / lightweight. I want to start bringing a camera with me when I ride but don't want to bring my DSLR. I have used my phone in the past (see below) but would like something much better. The problem is, most P&S cameras I have used or seen shots of that are in the size range I like suck. They always blow highlights in sunny weather. Shutter lag isn't a problem, although if there is a P&S that is fast, that is a plus.

It also doesn't have to be high on the MP scale. Anywhere between 5-10 will be good if the IQ is good.

So, what's out there?

What price range?

Sadly, all P&S tend to blow highlights out-of-the-box, partially because they come from the factory set to overexpose - it apparently is what the manufacturers think the target audience wants. Canon and Sony, in particular, are noted for blowing highlights. I've gotten around this by typically shooting with -1/3 or -2/3 EV.

Panasonic Lumix LX3 & Sony DSC-W300 have been getting good press. If you want a digicam with a lot of range, many people are happy with the Panasonic TZ5, which has a 28-280mm zoom lens.
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    If the G series are too bulky or pricy for you, I highly recommend the Canon SD8XX IS cameras. These have great lens and optical image stabilization that works really well. I have the 800IS.

Firstly, I really only have experience with the Canon line of P&S. That being said, I have a 870IS and LOVE it! It doesn't have a lot of manual control so if you are big on using manual controls you may want to go with the something in the A, SX or G series which will give you a little more control but all should be great cameras. I've always loved my Canon P&S.
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    I am a major advocate of Olympus P&S cameras. I have had 2, my wife currently uses one, and I have had many friends & family use them. They are a better price than many other brands. I would recommend one of the Stylus line. They are more feature-packed, and are built very well. My wife has one with in-camera image stabilization that works extremely well - she LOVES it. The FE line is also great. I have used one of those. They are extremely affordable - and you won't find a digital camera that is easier to use. Both lines are very compact. You might also consider the Stylus SW line - they are indestructible. They are built to be able to withstand a 5-6 foot drop on concrete, and are crushproof up to 220 lbs. Would be good if you are taking it riding. I have never used one of these - so not sure about the IQ on them.

Here is a link to get more info:
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp

Here are some shots my wife took on a recent trip to England with her Olympus Stylus 760

400437156_iKbQt-L.jpg

400436669_6PBq2-L.jpg

400436033_zcH9U-L.jpg

400434882_Jt2Xa-L.jpg

400435483_4qqzE-L.jpg
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I have never used one of these - so not sure about the IQ on them.

The SW line is a fun camera because it is shock/fall proof and water proof but the image quality is meh... not something i would recommend to someone critical about image quality and performance, but rather to my little neice who keeps dropping it :D

I'm in a similar situation, also looking for good P&S (leaning towards G9/G10). heard some good stuff about the fuji 8000, and i can get it cheap(ish) (190 euro v.s 460 euro for G10) any ideas?
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I'm in a similar situation, also looking for good P&S (leaning towards G9/G10). heard some good stuff about the fuji 8000, and i can get it cheap(ish) (190 euro v.s 460 euro for G10) any ideas?

The Fuji S8000fd is fairly large-ish; it is a bridge camera. It also doesn't use Fuji's Super-CCD sensor, so it's high-ISO performance is pedestrian. Also, like most recent Fuji cams, it is reportedly prone to PF.

I loved my Fuji S6000fd.
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I used a Fuji S7000 for years and loved it. Fuji does make some great ones.
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    How "thick" are the G's? I want one that fits in my jersey's back pocket with food and/or wallet/phone/etc... Budget hasn't been decided yet... One of the goals is to be able to pop the camera out while riding to snap a picture easily. I go on very long rides sometimes (5+ hours) and thus I can't dedicate a full pocket to a camera.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    I really enjoy the form factor of the new Nikon CoolPix cameras (it's the only one I've used, so I'll spill it's guts.) It can fit into almost anything, is super light, and takes great pictures on the cheap (refurb's can be had for <$100.) However they do have their limitations - namely control. For outdoor riding weather shots this should be fine, but indoors and/or with flash they're just horrid (compared to a DSLR anyway.)

However, I've been eyeing the Olympus below:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1363

It's waterproof to 10m, shockproof from 2m - just think, if it slipped out of a bag and took a dive on the road it would be OK! Frankly camera gear around here gets some abuse - 2 year olds playing with it and younger brothers doing the arm-length poses driving any sane photographer NUTS. Therefore I try to look for tougher equipment to pass down even after a few tumbles and spills.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler