Up Stairs

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited October 23, 2008 in Go Figure
375814700_3mFZJ-M.jpg

I'm just starting to try this kind of photography. So far, I'm my only model. I fired my SB600 from the stairs to get the silhouette and shadow. Tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Caroline

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Hi Caroline, that's awesome that you're doing self-portraits!

However I'd love to see the image. :D If you're having issues posting, we have a tute here.
    edited September 19, 2008
    What a beautiful image! I love the processing, the shadow, the lines and the curves. Classic and yet modern at the same time.

I love it thumb.gif
  • JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    That is a great shot!!
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    375814700_3mFZJ-M.jpg

I'm just starting to try this kind of photography. So far, I'm my only model. I fired my SB600 from the stairs to get the silhouette and shadow. Tell me what you think.

Thanks,
    Caroline

Nice job, it is unique with a great pose to make the shoot interesting to look at.

I like the back lighting's effect as well as the sepia tone to make the picture emphasize the soft nature of your pose.

Did you use a wireless flash to light the furthest wall??
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    I'm glad you like the shot and the treatment. I thought it was the most interesting shot of the session. I had the on camera flash of my D300 in commander mode, and my sb600 flash laying on a step.

Here's another shot in the same location, totally different look. I really like the angles in this one. Still, the first one I posted is one I could hang on the wall.
    375814441_sihAF-M.jpg
    375814441_sihAF-Th.jpg

Gorgeous! Would love to see this shot bigger, too thumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    I love the over all effect but the pose of the the models right leg is bothering me..it ruins the silhouette on that side and the foot sticking out distracts as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Both of these are terriffic in their respective right. I'd be interested to see what kind of shadow you had on the wall to your right in the first tho...could be even silkier that way? Love the way your arm just dangles in the second! Good shots!

cheers, tom
    tom wise
    angevin1 wrote:
    Both of these are terriffic in their respective right. I'd be interested to see what kind of shadow you had on the wall to your right in the first tho...could be even silkier that way? Love the way your arm just dangles in the second! Good shots!

cheers, tom

To my right in the photo is the staircase (where I placed my flash), and not really much space to project a shadow. Plus, I was going for a backlit effect, and to get a shadow onto that wall to my right would require a light from in front of me. Maybe I'm missing your idea?

Thanks for comments! I really appreciate the feedback.

Caroline
    carolinepoe.smugmug.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    touche' ...clever..I didn't realize you were standing facing camera. So opposite of staircase I see a shadow on the wall with your hand touching it....often when I shoot these kinds of photos, the shadows come into my senses and make me want to just go for the shadow...

lovely silouette~
    tom wise
    angevin1 wrote:
    touche' ...clever..I didn't realize you were standing facing camera. So opposite of staircase I see a shadow on the wall with your hand touching it....often when I shoot these kinds of photos, the shadows come into my senses and make me want to just go for the shadow...

lovely silouette~

I understand. I also have a love of shadows.
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Really like your pics. I had to look closely at the first one, after seeing the second, to see you were wearing a corset. I like the lighting and softness of the first one.

glenn
    edited October 22, 2008
    glennp wrote:
    Really like your pics. I had to look closely at the first one, after seeing the second, to see you were wearing a corset. I like the lighting and softness of the first one.

glenn

Thanks, Glenn. I hope to work with a real model soon!

Caroline
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Gorgeous! Would love to see this shot bigger, too thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif - I downloaded the largest version of this you have available to get a better look at it - well worth the effort!

The processing - those elements of the background you have removed, those that you have kept, the subtle shadows on wall at your back - simply wonderful - very nice touch. If I were to pick at nits on this, I would remove the wrinkle in your neck just under your chin and then burn it a touch to match the tonality of the rest of your neck.

The pose - love the posture but not loving the stiffness of your right arm. Don't know how I would have done it differently if I were posing you (you don't want to see me in that pose :D) - but there it is.

While I really like the soft subtle approach of your first shot - this one, I think, is the real winner!
    edited October 23, 2008
    Scott (and everyone else)- I really appreciate your comments. I'm very new to processing, so the encouragement and critiques are great. I'm glad I'm doing something right, and I'm excited that I have a long way I feel I could go in improving. I don't have nearly as much time as I'd like to experiment. The occasion that these photos were taken we'd sent the kids off to grandma's house and had the weekend to play around. ("Are you ever going to put the camera down?", my husband would ask.) I'm not very comfortable on that side of the camera, and being on both sides is very hard indeed! But I needed practice before I felt I could start recruiting models to experiment on.

Caroline
    edited October 23, 2008
    Another from the series. Which treatment?

400946954_EhJqQ-M.jpg

Should I just make it look like the other similar shot? Like this?

401016206_t9tpw-M.jpg

Caroline
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    The differences look a little more subtle in this post than in my gallery, but the second has more shadow and is a little darker. Should I just make it look like the other similar shot?

Caroline
    In a word ... yes ... The lack of context as done in the first photo actually adds, somehow, to the strength of the shot. I think it has something to do with the fact that I, as the viewer, am forced to look at the lady in the shot and am not distracted by the wood the steps, the white of the wall, etc.

FWIW - I think your second posted shot is stronger/better posed then this third one. There's too much stress in both the arms of the third shot as compared to the second. But I may be in the minority in the opinion.
    edited October 23, 2008
    In a word ... yes ... The lack of context as done in the first photo actually adds, somehow, to the strength of the shot. I think it has something to do with the fact that I, as the viewer, am forced to look at the lady in the shot and am not distracted by the wood the steps, the white of the wall, etc.

FWIW - I think your second posted shot is stronger/better posed then this third one. There's too much stress in both the arms of the third shot as compared to the second. But I may be in the minority in the opinion.

I think I have to agree with all your comments. I like the tension in my front arm, but the back one is locked and looks awkward. Sometimes I just need help to put my finger on what's working and what's not. I tend to work intuitively more than technically. This forum is an awesome help. I may find a couple more shots to post from that weekend.

Caroline