Options

Need advice on Nikon Lens to buy

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited October 30, 2008 in Cameras
Can anyone recommend a Nikon portrait studio lens? I have a REALLY small studio and need a lens to be able to take group and full length shots in a tight space. The ones I have now just aren't cutting it. I am willing to spend what's needed to get a really good piece of glass. Any ideas?:dunno
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    You don't mention the size of space...but if the 18mm side of the 18-200 won't cut it, your prob not going to be in luck without being out of perspective. Even if the 18 would work, you're overall too close to give proper perspective. Apparently closer than appx: 15ft, and noses start to grow and other appendages change their relaitonship to the whole. I think I shot with a kit lens at 18mm and got pretty darned close..like about 6 ft...so how big/small is your available space?

cheer, tom

ps: yeah, I guess size does matter~
    tom wise
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    You don't mention the size of space...but if the 18mm side of the 18-200 won't cut it, your prob not going to be in luck without being out of perspective. Even if the 18 would work, you're overall too close to give proper perspective. Apparently closer than appx: 15ft, and noses start to grow and other appendages change their relaitonship to the whole. I think I shot with a kit lens at 18mm and got pretty darned close..like about 6 ft...so how big/small is your available space?

cheer, tom

ps: yeah, I guess size does matter~

i have to be inclined to agree. the wedding mill i shoot for has a small studio space (~10x12). i found myself shooting at around 50mm a lot for couples because of the space considerations. the 18-200mm vr isn't exactly a portrait lens, but you should be able to figure some optimal focal lengths within this lens' range. let us know what those are and we can try to narrow it down. traditionally, in 35mm format, the 90-100mm lengths have been made portrait lenses of choice.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thanks for the quick responses...My studio space is about 10x12 or so. I have been using my 50mm for some shots. I really don't like the 18-200. It is too soft for my liking. Kinda expensive but cheap glass. Lacks a certain sharpness especially after using the 70-200. I am mostly looking because I have some formal wedding portraits (6mos post wedding) So I would probably need to get the train in. I am thinking the 17-55?? what do you think about that? Anybody use that in a small space before?
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Other than extending the studio:D, how about the 35 f/2 if you're looking to stick with primes? Using your 18-200, what focal length gets you the shots as you want them to be filled? Use that as a guide to help you decide what lens(es) to use.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,815 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    ... I am thinking the 17-55?? what do you think about that? Anybody use that in a small space before?

The Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX is a great lens, very sharp, kinda pricey but worth it if you need it. You may see the need for some barrel distortion correction and vignetting correction at the wide end and wide open.

Like Nightowlcat just said, use the 18-200mm lens to determine your range and see for yourself if the 17-55mm range will cut it. If nothing else you will appreciate the Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G for what it is, a truly great lens.

http://bythom.com/1755lens.htm
    http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/231-nikkor-af-s-17-55mm-f28-g-if-ed-dx-review--test-report
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX is a great lens, very sharp, kinda pricey but worth it if you need it. You may see the need for some barrel distortion correction and vignetting correction at the wide end and wide open.

Like Nightowlcat just said, use the 18-200mm lens to determine your range and see for yourself if the 17-55mm range will cut it. If nothing else you will appreciate the Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G for what it is, a truly great lens.

http://bythom.com/1755lens.htm
    http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/231-nikkor-af-s-17-55mm-f28-g-if-ed-dx-review--test-report

I vote for this lens if it is affordable. I chose the tamaron 17-50mm f2.8 and it really is as sharp or sharper than the Nikon peice according to slrgear.com. That said, the nikon lenses have some kind of weird mojo in 'em and I think they look better, even if data suggest they are not as sharp. And of course part of the mojo could just be the way our brains are wired to recieve and interpret images....with either the 17-50 or the 17-55, you'll be able to shoot fairly correctly at 32-35mm...and have the ability to go wider if needed.

cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    LifeandLensLifeandLens Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    The other comments here are spot on. A few more details... to take advantage of studio backdrops and lighting you will ideally want to have your subject about 6 feet in front of your back drop. This allows you to blur out the backdrop with a shallow depth of field. This also provides enough room to light the backdrop if desired. (a nice colored gel on a darker backdrop can make a very pleasing effect). With this said, you may want to re-think your studio location/size requirements. (Sorry but this is reality!)
    50mm is a great focal length for shots with one or two subjects. Keep in mind that wider angle lenses go wider beyond your subject. In other words, your backdrop width requirement increases substantially with wider angle lens (another reason people love to shoot portraits with the 70-200, it gives great control over the background.)
    About the 17-55, a great lens. Another lens that isn't as fast or nearly as expensive but is very nice glass is the discontinued Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AFS ED G. This lens is not DX so if you move to full frame it will continue to serve you well. It can be found used. Don't confuse this lens with other 24-85s made by Nikon that are not as good.
    Last, about Tamron... some people have had good success. My experience says buy Nikon, you will not regret it.
    Best wishes!
    Tom Schauer
    Life and Lens Photography
    www.lifeandlens.com
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2008
    Can anyone recommend a Nikon portrait studio lens? I have a REALLY small studio and need a lens to be able to take group and full length shots in a tight space. The ones I have now just aren't cutting it. I am willing to spend what's needed to get a really good piece of glass. Any ideas?ne_nau.gif

I've been using a AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR for portrait applications in tight spaces. It's not quite as sharp as an f/2.8 lens but it's not as pricey either... about $600 give or take a few dollars depending on where you shop. It works quite well for portraits which is what I got it for, but it's turned in to my favorite walk-around lens now. Sometimes the 85mm high end doesn't quite have the reach I'd like but I use an old approach to correct this... I get closer to the subject. All and all it's been one of the better investments I've made. I would add that if you are able to wait just a bit, the price will probably start to fall off pretty soon. It's a relatively new product and the honeymoon phase pricing should start to decrease soon
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    For a tight space like that and if u're shooting DX format, my vote goes for the 17-55mm 2.8G, what a sharp lens, i must say i am really pleased with it!
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    Thanks so much for all the replies! I broke down and bought the 17-55 2.8. Will be trying it out in the studio on Sunday. An 8person family in a small studio space. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    Thanks so much for all the replies! I broke down and bought the 17-55 2.8. Will be trying it out in the studio on Sunday. An 8person family in a small studio space. Wish me luck!

Definitely let us know how you like the lens. I'm looking for more to use with my D300.

Caroline