Options

Choose a bag for me

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 24, 2005 in Accessories
These 2 bags are the same price. About the only diff is that Lowepro (trekker) zips open away from you as you wear it & the Crumpler (brians hot-tub) opens towards your back ie from the inside.

Anyone have any experience which they liked more & why ?

Crumpler

Comments

• Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Lowepro....
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I don't own either but I was looking at the Crumpler bags including the Brian's Hot Tub yesterday at Calumet in Philadelphia.

I love the Crumpler bags. I have one (the "Tallee") and would personally like to pick up the Brian's Hot Tub for myself. I think their bags are made extremely well made and made "smart" too. Although I like Lowe-Pro, the Crumpler would be my choice between the two.

Anyway, they come from AU . . . :):

but actually made in Vietnam, I believe.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I own a Brian's hot tub and a lowepro trekker II, the crumpler is far more comfortable on my back. I took it on a few 2-3 mile hikes and it has quickly turned into one of my favorite bags.

My only complaints about the crumpler is that it dosen't have a waist belt and there is no easy way to attach a tripod to the bag.

Hope that helps a little...

Ed
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    bag
    my progression of bags

started with lowepro - nothing wrong with it - holds alot, well made
    moved to crumpler - outstanding build quality, holds a ton, most comfy pack i've every worn. have used shrinkle (jr to brian's hottub) and presently have farmer's double -

great bag's gus - and an ozzie company, to boot!
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I am currently in a Lowepro CompuTrekker. Great bag and I haven't had any problems with comfort. Its the same as my Tamrac Laptop backpacks comfort wise. My only problem with it is I want more storage but I really need to carry two backpacks for everything I carry at least when Im traveling. It has more then aneough room for two body's 4 lenses (2 mounted to the camera body's) batteries, flash, memory cards, filters, lense pens, memory card readers, laptop, power cords, ipod, ipod charger, 6 rolls of film, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. But that pretty much fills them up which means another bag for paperwork, and all that kinda stuff.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I have the LowePro Photo Trekker AWII.

Awesome construction, great fit, comfortable for about the first 3 hours. Then things get a little heavy.:D I don't recommend packing everything if using as a carry around as opposed to just transport.

I have a 20D, 400, 70-200, 100, 10-22, 35, 28-75, 580ez, remote, lens hoods, batteries, FC's, manuals, and various cables packed in easily. Tripod attached to the outside. It also cames with a smaller day pack.
  • Options
    simon bennettsimon bennett Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I have the Lowepro Rover AW II...

S_F_RoverAW_3.jpg
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Rover_AW_II.aspx

... and have been really happy with it. My main reason for purchasing this bag was because it can handle most weather conditions which is good for my photography style.

As for Crumpler... I've heard nothing but good things about their camera bags. Can't comment on them from personal experience though.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I bought the shrinkle crumpler because of comfort. I was developing back problems. They are gone now, knock on wood.

I love the bag. Talk to the guy on the phone.........oh, they are nice. He told me the next size up would be too big for me. I don't know right now. But the bag sure is comfortable.

If you are walking any distance comfort has to be first, or you will be putting it first in a year or so when your back starts hurting and you have to have PT, etc.

I would buy the biggest crumpler possible, unless you don't have long lenses. I you don't, I would buy the shrinkle. They guy on the phone, he is a dream for helping.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    I use this one...
    Humungus wrote:
    These 2 bags are the same price. About the only diff is that Lowepro (trekker) zips open away from you as you wear it & the Crumpler (brians hot-tub) opens towards your back ie from the inside.

Anyone have any experience which they liked more & why ?

Crumpler
    ...and I highly recommend it.

http://www.adorama.com/DEPROBP33.html

Delsey Pro Digital Backpack 33. Comfortable and made to last forever.:lift

file0006590.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 22, 2005
    Several of us have posted about the schrinkle before... do a search (I'm lazy right now, sorry). I think the bag is the biz-omb! Way comfy, holds stuff, best holder for laptop of all the bags I've seen cause you can remove it totally.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Thanks all...great info each of you thumb.gif

I did notice that the crumpler cant attatch a tripod to it so i was thinking you could it to someone/canvas maker & get a few straps/buckles sewn on.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks all...great info each of you thumb.gif

I did notice that the crumpler cant attatch a tripod to it so i was thinking you could it to someone/canvas maker & get a few straps/buckles sewn on.
    the schrinkle has a loop on one side for a tripod... are you talking about a different crumpler? ne_nau.gif

I will admit its not the best tripod loop since only the bottom loop has a buckle and is adjustable, but I just stick one leg through the top fixed canvas loop, then put all three legs through the lower loop and tigthen the buckle. Even my big monopod fits through this fixed loop too, so it'd take a big tripod not to fit.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    the schrinkle has a loop on one side for a tripod... are you talking about a different crumpler? ne_nau.gif

I will admit its not the best tripod loop since only the bottom loop has a buckle and is adjustable, but I just stick one leg through the top fixed canvas loop, then put all three legs through the lower loop and tigthen the buckle. Even my big monopod fits through this fixed loop too, so it'd take a big tripod not to fit.
    Yep i was thinking of 'Brians Hot Tub' its identicle to the schrinkle but a tad (thats slightly andy) larger.

If you think their website is odd...try their product cattledog...(thats catalog andy) its got full nudes & other really odd stuff in it. Google images 'crumpler'

Great read.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep i was thinking of 'Brians Hot Tub' its identicle to the schrinkle but a tad (thats slightly andy) larger.

If you think their website is odd...try their product cattledog...(thats catalog andy) its got full nudes & other really odd stuff in it. Google images 'crumpler'

Great read.
    I love the size progression nudes, it's actually very useful. And fun lol3.gif Gotta love foreigners!
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Thought you would like this story Doc.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thought you would like this story Doc.
    bike messengers rolleyes1.gif

Seems like Crumpler is your equivalent of our Timbuk2 bags here. Started for couriers by couriers. I personally love Bailey Brothers for my bike bag. Damn sturdiest bag I've ever ridden with.

(Yes, I tool around campus on a single speed, with one pant leg rolled up, and my courier bag cinched up high :D)
    Erik

• Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Isn't it a little cramped in there? rolleyes1.gif
    I am currently in a Lowepro CompuTrekker.

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    and...............................................................brians HotTub wins.... just got it home.

thankyou linesmen & ball boys.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    and...............................................................brians HotTub wins.... just got it home.

thankyou linesmen & ball boys.
    Gus,

Good to see u supporting a great aussie product, crumpler bags are made down here in Melbourne. Well that's where they originated, not sure if they are all produced down here anymore.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Gus,

Good to see u supporting a great aussie product, crumpler bags are made down here in Melbourne. Well that's where they originated, not sure if they are all produced down here anymore.

Cheers,

David
    They are certainly very well made mate. I nearly got the smaller one but after i add 4521658 chargers/ 4 sets of keys / sunscreen / portable HD / 2 pairs of sunnies/ torch /drunk neutralizer etc etc etc im glad i got 'brians hot tub'.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Gus,

Cheers,

David
    Mine was made in Thailand.

Congrats on the new crumplah, Gus! thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Mine was made in Thailand.

Congrats on the new crumplah, Gus! thumb.gif
    Tks Doc....how do you now where its made (out of curiosity) ? I cant see any manuf label.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks Doc....how do you now where its made (out of curiosity) ? I cant see any manuf label.
    I reckon you're right... can't find a tag either. However, it was shipped to me directly from Thailand, or was it Singapore headscratch.gif

Definitely not from Aus though.
    Erik