Options

help.. got my first show need lots of frames

lauraannqlauraannq Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 25, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
:barb okay.. so i decided to show my photos to people beyond family... emailed a local resturant that shows original oils (like $1000 and up) and they liked my work and gave me a slot in the spring..

great!...

now ... gulp....i need frames for my photos. what is the best way to show them?

usally i clip mount them at 20x30 no mat (i have off white walls so the wall is the matt).. i have other sizes i need to...

so here is my questions where can i get frames and matts? i don't want to spend thousands as ... well what if they don't sell?

any help would be great, thanks

laq

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    I think this needs to be in the, mind your own business..

But, have you tried custom framers? I would try them first. Since they would offer elegant framing and matting. But, it could be more expensive. Then I would try an arts and crafts store, if the custom framers were way out of my range.

Good luck and welcome to Dgrin!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    How handy with power tools are you? You could make your own frames with moldings, then paint or stain as desired.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    lauraannq wrote:
    wings.gif okay.. so i decided to show my photos to people beyond family... emailed a local resturant that shows original oils (like $1000 and up) and they liked my work and gave me a slot in the spring..

great!...

now ... gulp....i need frames for my photos. what is the best way to show them?

usally i clip mount them at 20x30 no mat (i have off white walls so the wall is the matt).. i have other sizes i need to...

so here is my questions where can i get frames and matts? i don't want to spend thousands as ... well what if they don't sell?

any help would be great, thanks

laq

You can check out a place like Dick Blick to see what they offer:

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/framing/

I would stick with very plain simple mattes and frames that you can re-use.

Also, keep an eye out for sales at places like Michael's and A.C. Moore. (Also, Jo Ann's at Oxford Valley Mall has framing supplies).
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Go to Michaels.com

Click on this link:
    http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search&client=michaels

Put in your zip code. And see your local ad.

My store has $50. - $150. off custom framing and select frames at a 50% off.

Also AC Moore is good.

http://www.acmoore.com/e-acm.StoreLocator.aspx

Here's a link for a coupon good for 25% off your purchase.

http://images.acmoore.com/Coupons/43_08%20coupon.pdf
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 25, 2008
    I think this needs to be in the, mind your own business..
    I agree, moved thumb.gif

On frames... I've gotten deals at flea markets and junk stores. They'll have crappy old paintings in them, but a little bit of work and you have some interesting stuff. Usually, some of that old "junk" ends up being old hardwood too.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Multiple places
    Ikea has some that are very reasonable;

Michael's ready made are actually nice and easy to deal with 16x20 frames with matting for 11x14 images that are carved are about $30 with 40% off. You can't use coupons when they're on sale. I stocked up.

Places like TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Marshalls and Ross Dress for less have framed prints for dirt cheap. Pull the prints out and put yours in. Seal with brown shipping paper and glue.

And lastly, I've been using Frame Destination. They are really nice and half the price of Michael's custom frames. I just ordered 4 frame kits with triple matting for a grand total of $300. for 24x30's. to custom frame some 16x24 prints. And they are really nice.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    I use Nielsen #117 matte black frames (aluminum) to display/sell all of my work. I buy my supplies at documounts.com. :D
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    I use www.documounts.com also. Great for mats, bags (cheapest around), backing, etc.

If you have a Tax ID number try www.mtsframes.com in NJ. Nice stuff at resonable prices (with & without glass/plexi & backer).
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Two thoughts. I had a previous showing and used framedestination.com. They do a good job with a huge selection of mats and frames.
    Recently ordered a framed photo for the house from mpix that is really nice. However, you are 'stuck' with a 2" mat and the black frame is a bit on the thick side (ie bigger than the 2" mat). You get the prints matted and framed for you for a decent price which is nice but you can't sign your print without some workheadscratch.gif
    E
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Nielsen over in the UK. Top quality.

I've cheated with cheaper frames in the past and replaced the plastic with glass but you can see and feel the difference.

It add's a big chunk to your price so you might offer a choice of framed or not depending on your market.

You could buy a mount cutter and start doing that yourself. Good fun and often better than a shop will run you off..

I'd not bother trying to make your own frames it's hard without the right gear and trying mid priced equipment makes it a long difficult job and I'd say a waste of time.

So I'd vote for Nielsen...thumb.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières