The "R" Family Session

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 25, 2008 in People
I did a session with this family last Friday. I feel kind of bad because there isn't as many photos to choose from and I didn't think to try a lot of different areas. I had another session after them in the same park and took way more shots of the second family. The second family did have a lot more in their group therefore giving me a little bit more options. Any one else do this sometimes? Also, how many proofs do you typically present to your clients?
396544913_wM4HM-L-2.jpg
396688551_hEkzf-L.jpg
398846961_C6huz-L.jpg
399120668_94tUc-L.jpg
399126460_YUd9y-L.jpg
399127791_HbJBz-L.jpg
399647263_ojNzA-L.jpg
400400894_jx8HS-L.jpg

Comments

• JeriAmrineJeriAmrine Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Julie, I really like this series! I would present them no less than 8 photos and, hey, you have 8 great ones here. I'm sure the boy will love #6; it's a great action shot. As always, I love your processing!
    Jeri

www.jeriamrinephotography.com

Gear: Canon XTi, some Canon lenses, a few filters, lights and other gadgets I'm not quite sure how to use...yet!

Always wanting new glass....

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Very nice Julie....but lets pick on one of them a bit....

Theres a chance Im wrong about this but...

#3- The focal length you have used is too wide for this pose at this distance at this angle. Wider focal lengths tend to exaggerate and distort proportions. In this shot, since his feet are closer than the rest of him to the camera it has exaggerated the size of his feet. His left foot appears as wide as his head. If you were using your 18-55, try keeping the focal length between 30 and 55mm when shooting portraits. That will save you...mostly. Another option would be to turn his legs 90 degrees to the camera. Now....how do I know this?......I do it now and then myself with the 17-55.:D
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Decent set, mainly I have just nits.

However, the thing that stands out for me the most is in every photo I prefer less DOF in the photo. Also, in some I think a greater distance between subject and backdrop would improve of the photo.

The small nits.

1. I like the conversion. Have you tried a version where you level the bench?

2. Mom facing out of frame instead of in. More interaction between the trio. Mom or Dad with hand on son's shoulder. Mom and Dad arms furthest from camera on each others back hip. Mom's hand is blurred because she wasn't at rest when you released the shutter. Juniors' hands are cut off.

3. Lens distortion already discussed. Find a more solid patch of ground. All grass, all dirt, all something, not patchy ground.

4. Meh. What about throwing a firecracker at that kid. Skateboard held overhead in a victory stance. Arms crossed with board leaning against him, you laying on the ground and shooting up, etc.

5. Not sure about the framing and crop?

6. Neat image. Might benefit from some face? Use that high powered camera and rip off 60 frames in motor drive mode having the kid doing it over and over again. It would only take a few moments. Again for this one I'd definately be shooting a dozen or so frames lying on my back. Pick one delete the other 59. Digital is beautiful.

7. Dad sit up straight. Bottom of his foot in the frame. Son looks awkardly posed and probably would benefit from some better posture. Consider posing juniors right arm identical to Mom and Dad's. It would make some nice lines and create an attractive repitition. The photo seemes to be cropped slight right of center to me.

8. Like it. Do you mind sharing how you get the texture in that photo? Some type of action?

Keep up the good work! You take better photos than I do.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    JeriAmrine wrote:
    Julie, I really like this series! I would present them no less than 8 photos and, hey, you have 8 great ones here. I'm sure the boy will love #6; it's a great action shot. As always, I love your processing!

Thanks for your comment. The boy does love the ones of himself. :D Thank goodness
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Very nice Julie....but lets pick on one of them a bit....

Theres a chance Im wrong about this but...

#3- The focal length you have used is too wide for this pose at this distance at this angle. Wider focal lengths tend to exaggerate and distort proportions. In this shot, since his feet are closer than the rest of him to the camera it has exaggerated the size of his feet. His left foot appears as wide as his head. If you were using your 18-55, try keeping the focal length between 30 and 55mm when shooting portraits. That will save you...mostly. Another option would be to turn his legs 90 degrees to the camera. Now....how do I know this?......I do it now and then myself with the 17-55.:D
    Pick away. :D
    I never noticed that about his foot until you said that. I will have to be careful to watch for that.
    edited October 24, 2008
    crockett wrote:
    Decent set, mainly I have just nits.

However, the thing that stands out for me the most is in every photo I prefer less DOF in the photo. Also, in some I think a greater distance between subject and backdrop would improve of the photo.

The small nits.

1. I like the conversion. Have you tried a version where you level the bench?

2. Mom facing out of frame instead of in. More interaction between the trio. Mom or Dad with hand on son's shoulder. Mom and Dad arms furthest from camera on each others back hip. Mom's hand is blurred because she wasn't at rest when you released the shutter. Juniors' hands are cut off.

3. Lens distortion already discussed. Find a more solid patch of ground. All grass, all dirt, all something, not patchy ground.

4. Meh. What about throwing a firecracker at that kid. Skateboard held overhead in a victory stance. Arms crossed with board leaning against him, you laying on the ground and shooting up, etc.

5. Not sure about the framing and crop?

6. Neat image. Might benefit from some face? Use that high powered camera and rip off 60 frames in motor drive mode having the kid doing it over and over again. It would only take a few moments. Again for this one I'd definately be shooting a dozen or so frames lying on my back. Pick one delete the other 59. Digital is beautiful.

7. Dad sit up straight. Bottom of his foot in the frame. Son looks awkardly posed and probably would benefit from some better posture. Consider posing juniors right arm identical to Mom and Dad's. It would make some nice lines and create an attractive repitition. The photo seemes to be cropped slight right of center to me.

8. Like it. Do you mind sharing how you get the texture in that photo? Some type of action?

Keep up the good work! You take better photos than I do.

I appreciate your in depth CC. I had a little nerve problem with them which is crazy since these folks are like family to me. I am realizing and keep realizing that I really need to focus on quality shots, not quantity shots. I really need to slow myself down and look at the shot before shooting it. I think my biggest problem of why I seem to hurry is because I'm afraid that the client will become impatient with me. I need to get over that real quick though. I have a shoot coming up on Monday, and I am determined to come away with well thought out, quality shots.

Thanks again for all the CC. I love it!
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    If it makes you feel any better. I have this exact same problem. I begin to tense up, while I'm chimping or adjusting a piece of equipment because I worry about them getting bored on me.

If I have a small technical difficulty or need to change batteries in a flash, for example, it can really snowballing for me. I continually have to remind myself to slow down and taking the time to get it right will pay off later.

Something that helps me, is that I explain to my clients before hand that there is a lot of downtime. It's just part of the process. And I also tell them that they can "relax" during the downtime. I say a lot during the shoot "O.k. a couple adjustments you can relax for a bit." etc.

Another difficultlty I have is knowing when to bale when I've backed myself into a corner. I'm getting much better at just announcing "O.k. this isn't working we need to try another, position, location, pose, etc." instead of trying to force a good shot and then end up getting home and finding out I have 60 frames of something I should have know was doomed to be a sub par shot.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Hi Julie,
    The composition could use some work and the lighting is kind of dull.
    See the distance between the subjects heads and the top of the photo in a couple of them. The rule of thirds really does add drama to the photos.
    Work on getting some pop in the lighting and color.
    A levels and contrast adjustment will get you part of the way there, invest in an off camera flash and learn to use it or at the bare minimum a subtly used on camera fill flash.
    As for them getting bored spend a few minutes talking to them before you start the shoot and find out a little about them. Then engage them in conversations about what they like. If your client is not having fun the photos will suffer for it.
    Anytime you book back to back sessions the first group is going to get shortchanged and it puts pressure on you to hurry, then you are thinking aout time instead of the photos.

As for numbers since you asked, my shoots typically last an hour and a half and I give them a minimum of 50 fully processed photos. We never get bored, we typically have them laughing and playing around the whole time. We keep moving, a couple shots per place and then hit a new spot.

I don't ever show anyone proofs or unfinished photos. Typically I sell these sessions for $150. which included all their finished photos on a disk. We have them come into my partners office to look at the photos with her on a computer screen. 99 percent of the time they end up buying a book with all their pictures or sometimes they just buy lots of additional photos after they see the pictures. The money is in the upsell for us after they see the photos.

I think only twice that I can remember have the clients ever just taken the disc and run. They could just run down to Wallmart and get their photos done for a couple bucks for 8x10's but once we explain that to get the best looking quality photos they should go through us (true) they normally do.
    Plus we charge quite a bit less per photo that our local competition.

Take some time to learn to improve the photos and the rest will come easily.
    I hope you don't find my criticism harsh I am just trying to help.
    I can see you have potential or I wouldn't bother. I know that with a sufficient amount of effort your photos could be first rate.
    Good luck!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Crocket,
    If you are charging someone for these photo sessions you may want rethink.
    They are hiring you because they think you know what you are doing.
    They don't want to hear about your technical difficulties.
    If you are needing to fix something then just talk to them about something else while you do it...they will think it is just normal.
    If a shot does not work just move...no need to tell your client about he technical issues or why something does not work..

If you sell an aura of confidence they will buy it.

If you are at the point where you are having lots of issues and down time it may be that you are not ready to be charging people.
    Do free shoots until you get it down and gain your confidence.
    It will come with practice.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    I love the first one and the last one. I did a session with a baby about a month ago and was only able to present 16 of them. Fortunately the client loved them.