Options

18+: Cold...

WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited October 25, 2008 in Go Figure
Hi all,

Heres a photo I would like to share with you all, and hopefully get some feedback, particularly as to how to separate her hair more from the background if possible. I am not very good at photoshop as you can see.

Thanks for looking.

3226289.3b4f9e4f.1024.jpg

Z.
I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Wineman wrote:
    Hi all,
    Heres a photo I would like to share with you all, and hopefully get some feedback, particularly as to how to separate her hair more from the background if possible. I am not very good at photoshop as you can see.
    Thanks for looking.
    Z.
    It's not possible to help you with separatino on B&W version. Color version is needed, since the nice reliable separation can only be done based on color/channel (if at all).
    Suggestion: use a solid bg (and possibly some strong hair/rim light - unless shooting highkey) to make separation easier.
    Nice shot, btw. thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's not possible to help you with separatino on B&W version. Color version is needed, since the nice reliable separation can only be done based on color/channel (if at all).
    Suggestion: use a solid bg (and possibly some strong hair/rim light - unless shooting highkey) to make separation easier.
    Nice shot, btw. thumb.gif

Thanks Nikolai, heres the color version, on the black and white I was going for the hi-key, but not sure I got it right...

heres the color version.

2650219.47501ef6.1024.jpg

Thanks for the input!!

Z.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Wineman wrote:
    Thanks Nikolai, heres the color version, on the black and white I was going for the hi-key, but not sure I got it right...

heres the color version.

Thanks for the input!!

Z.
    Well, looks like you're up to creek. Black frizzy hair against black bg and barely a hint of a hairlight - tough luck ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    I don't think the hair is an incredible problem - in both versions I can clearly make it out. The only problem I see is that there seems to be a loss of detail in her skin - perhaps a little over processed/smoothed? headscratch.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    I don't think the hair is an incredible problem - in both versions I can clearly make it out. The only problem I see is that there seems to be a loss of detail in her skin - perhaps a little over processed/smoothed? headscratch.gif
    Yep... lots of process, this was shot at around 7 am in a vineyard, it was actually pretty cold and she got goose bump skin, specially on her breast and arms, hence the need to over process. Over all she loved the photos. I Always thought there was something missing... or just not right...

Thanks for commenting!

Z.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    I don't think the hair is an incredible problem - in both versions I can clearly make it out.
    Can you share your secret? bowdown.gif
    I'm talking about that portion of her hair where the background is black. How does your result look like?
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Wineman wrote:
    Yep... lots of process, this was shot at around 7 am in a vineyard, it was actually pretty cold and she got goose bump skin, specially on her breast and arms, hence the need to over process. Over all she loved the photos. I Always thought there was something missing... or just not right...

Thanks for commenting!

Z.

but if you title it cold, don't you want us to see the goosebumps? I don't get cold out of it and I don't get hi-key because there are big black stripes on the background.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    but if you title it cold, don't you want us to see the goosebumps? I don't get cold out of it and I don't get hi-key because there are big black stripes on the background.
    There are some goosebumps if you look close enough..mwink.gif but you are right, maybe it does not portray cold...

either way thanks for the comments!

Z.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    I see em mwink.gif and she's good looking, I just think more bumps would do the job.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Well, at first I thought there was not a problem in the photo to fix in the first place. There seemed to be enough separation through implied lines that it just seemed to work for me. However, I'll give it my best shot anyway.

I agree that the skin is over processed. I'd also like to toss in the vote that I would like to see the cold chills and goose bumps just because it makes the photo seem more natural, and 'real.' For example I remember the picture of the pregnant stomach - it, to me, was a wonderful shot because of the imperfections and detail in the skin - not in spite of it.

Below is my attempt to add a bit more definition. I lightened the background, history brushed the hair. Then I healed (sampling from ~7-10 different spots with a big brush) into the darkest areas. Lastly I took out the burn tool and clicked around a bit to give it some definition. Obviously it's a little rough, but I was on the phone at the time deal.gif.
    Untitled-1.jpg
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    I don't think the hair vs black background is great for this shot, but I don't really have a problem with it either ne_nau.gif

I think you have some good attempts of getting the hair to stand out more thumb.gif, however, the shot you have to work with, is just not a great one if you want to get more separation between the hair and background. I personally think it's better to reshoot the shot, with a different background instead of spending hours on it with PhotoShop. I think you'll have much better and quicker results that way.

I'm not too fond of the camo-clothes; for one because I just don't like camo-clothes, but also because it is about as non-feminine as possible when it comes to clothes.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2008
    ivar wrote:

I'm not too fond of the camo-clothes; for one because I just don't like camo-clothes, but also because it is about as non-feminine as possible when it comes to clothes.
    Yep my opinion as well, but she likes it... cant argue there. Actually she like this shot the best so I will print her a copy.

Heres the original file, if any is interested to have a go at it.

thank you all for your comments and knowledge!! thumb.gif

402129859_Jw3bo-L.jpg

Z.