Options

Fall E-session

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited October 25, 2008 in Weddings
Do you ever have a shoot you just wish would never end? I had such a blast with these two last night, I was so sad to put my camera away! What awesome personalities and willingness to be wacky and wild. I have had a few shots floating around in my brain that I wanted to do, and I crossed several off the list! now what!!??

1. First part of the session was with the bride's 3-yo daughter, who was an absolute charmer.
399908732_6qCFc-L-1.jpg

2. There's a lot wrong with this photo but it really tugged at my heart.
399909034_RfwzH-L.jpg

399909198_EFU9d-L.jpg

4. Ok gotta move on or this post will never end! Are they laughing too hard for this to be flattering?
399911881_EbtDD-L.jpg

5. So glad I told them to bring a few different shirts to choose from...I like this combo much better.
399912706_EE8nu-L-1.jpg

6. One of the few truly cobblestone streets left in Indy (lockerbie street in front of the James Whitcomb Riley home....it was extremely tough to walk on, let alone lay down on! They were troopers!
399912877_Zwf55-L-1.jpg

7. (See how dark his face is Heatherfeather??? Argh!)
399913484_aYUC8-L-1.jpg

399914212_6qmoP-L-1.jpg

9. Probably my fave of the set. I may tone the vignetting down, other than that it's straight out of camera.
399914738_QBf8L-L-1.jpg

10. Never thought I'd get a chance to do a shopping cart shot, although I've seen others do it. But to come across an empty, red powder coated shopping cart in an alley with the rare client that was all about being goofy? The stars were aligned!
399915911_c9ZRV-L-1.jpg

11. As much as they could do goofy/fun, they could do sexy too...
399914983_cbrdM-L-1.jpg

399941195_SD7fP-L-1.jpg

13. Another Dgrinner's take on "garage" lighting? :D
399916746_voNZ5-L-1.jpg

I have another shoot tonight and hope I can keep the creative juices up! C&C always welcome, thanks for looking!
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Awwww, these are WONDERFUL!! I especially like the ones at the red door ... and the shopping cart (how cool!!) iloveyou.gif .. haha ... ++ # 11/12/13

P.s. I think you got the numbering wrong / you have two 11s. deal.gif

You created a GREAT mix of styles & showed their personalities!!! Wonderful set! clap.gif
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Wonderful variety Lynne. I really like all of them. You were able to get so many different perspectives and they looked like they were having just as much fun as you. Way cool. Way to bethumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Awwww, these are WONDERFUL!! I especially like the ones at the red door ... and the shopping cart (how cool!!) iloveyou.gif .. haha ... ++ # 11/12/13

P.s. I think you got the numbering wrong / you have two 11s. deal.gif

You created a GREAT mix of styles & showed their personalities!!! Wonderful set! clap.gif

Thanks, Angie!!! I did have two 11s, thanks for catching it!

Appreciate your feedback, you are always so generous with kind encouragement for the rest of us trying to get as good as you! iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Wonderful variety Lynne. I really like all of them. You were able to get so many different perspectives and they looked like they were having just as much fun as you. Way cool. Way to bethumb.gif

Thanks, Dave! It is kind of weird how many different scenes we pulled off in a short two block radius...there are at least 3 other scenes that didn't make this post. Every one of my e-sessions (this is #10...11 is tonight!) was within one square mile. I love downtown Indy!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Lynne- these are so great! Wanna know a secret!? Before I went out to do my engagement session on Saturday, I went to your site to get ideas! Thanks for being so awesome and an inspiration!

1. Awww how sweet! I love that street! It looks like such a great street to live on!
    2. I love the shape of the little girl's body- It is like she is molded to perfectly fit both of them. So sweet. (Striped shirt? Yeah, I would have been glad when she changed.)
    3. You have a floating thumb, but other than that, I bet this goes on the wall. (unless you were going for a spooky Halloween thing with severed thumbs... Laughing.gif!)
    4. My take on laughing photos is that I looove them. (And this one is no exception) The person who is laughing rarely likes photos of themselves laughing, but everyone else loves the same photo like that of their loved one because it is the expression they love to see in their loved one. I don't think I'm making sense, but just nod and say "whatever, Heather". This one seems a bit over exposed, but I don't mind the OE style at all.
    5. Very cute! Their expressions say it all!
    6. Cool street! With the perspective distortion, it makes her look a bunch bigger than him. I always try to use perspective in the females favor- she likes to feel small compared to him. If you had switched them or moved yourself you would have achieved a much better photo. As it is, I bet she will not feel dainty after viewing this photo. Also, it is a real good strategy to hide double chins, and since guys don't usually care or have double chins...
    7. It is really dark. Did you use flash on this one? I love the compo of yours better than mine!
    8. Oh that red door and reflection are so fun! Good eye Lynne!
    9. This is my fav of the set for sure! I love the hands and that you managed to keep them in the frame. Excellent creative angle!
    10. Shopping cart! How fun! Love it!
    11. Brave cropping that paid off so very well. I love her expression and you are right, very sexy and moody.
    12. I am curious on your lighting. It is sooo stunning I want to copy it!
    13. They look so comfortable- like they feel alone, even with you there. You are really good at getting those real expressions.

Rockin' work, Lynne! Since you have so many shoots this week, you are planning on sharing a lot, right!!?
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    5,6,9,11,12,13........oh yeeeaaahh!!!

Especialy 9 and 13.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    Lynne- these are so great! Wanna know a secret!? Before I went out to do my engagement session on Saturday, I went to your site to get ideas! Thanks for being so awesome and an inspiration!
    Right back atcha! I have several of your shots in my "inspiration file!!!" mwink.gif My engagement gallery is soooo outdated though! Winter catch-up and marketing time is almost upon us rolleyes1.gif

Tried to do italic responses like you, hope this works.

1. Awww how sweet! I love that street! It looks like such a great street to live on! They don't live there, but it's probably the most famous street in Indianapolis...the home of Hoosier poet James Whitcomb Riley. :D
    2. I love the shape of the little girl's body- It is like she is molded to perfectly fit both of them. So sweet. (Striped shirt? Yeah, I would have been glad when she changed.) I'm glad I posted this one, getting good feedback and suggestions on it! Yeah, yikes on the stripes! eek7.gif
    3. You have a floating thumb, but other than that, I bet this goes on the wall. (unless you were going for a spooky Halloween thing with severed thumbs... Laughing.gif!) Doh! That can be easily removed...thanks for pointing that out!
    4. My take on laughing photos is that I looove them. (And this one is no exception) The person who is laughing rarely likes photos of themselves laughing, but everyone else loves the same photo like that of their loved one because it is the expression they love to see in their loved one. I don't think I'm making sense, but just nod and say "whatever, Heather". This one seems a bit over exposed, but I don't mind the OE style at all. I agree...it was overexposed in processing...still experimenting with flare (obviously) thanks for weighing in!
    5. Very cute! Their expressions say it all!
    6. Cool street! With the perspective distortion, it makes her look a bunch bigger than him. I always try to use perspective in the females favor- she likes to feel small compared to him. If you had switched them or moved yourself you would have achieved a much better photo. As it is, I bet she will not feel dainty after viewing this photo. Also, it is a real good strategy to hide double chins, and since guys don't usually care or have double chins... Definitely great points all around! I guess I wanted her "face" to read straight on, hence why I set them up that way...but I totally see your point. I wish I had done more angles but it was somewhat painful for them and I couldn't really move around on the ledge I was standing on. Something I will try again but with more forethought! Thanks Heather!
    7. It is really dark. Did you use flash on this one? I love the compo of yours better than mine! No didn't use a flash. Looking back, off camera flash on them would have worked. But there was plenty of light on the hand and that was the focal point, so I was ok with letting them go a little darker, but the major racoon eyes were an unfortunate byproduct.
    8. Oh that red door and reflection are so fun! Good eye Lynne! It was a day of many good finds! Thanks for noticing the reflection, it's one of my favorite parts of the shot!
    9. This is my fav of the set for sure! I love the hands and that you managed to keep them in the frame. Excellent creative angle! Yay for cute churches and wide angle lenses. I am just loving shooting in this kind of natural light...very freeing!
    10. Shopping cart! How fun! Love it!
    11. Brave cropping that paid off so very well. I love her expression and you are right, very sexy and moody. brave is one way to put it...lol maybe needs more off of his face so it doesn't look so odd and make his nose stand out. I wanted the shot to be about her, he's just there as a prop Laughing.gif
    12. I am curious on your lighting. It is sooo stunning I want to copy it! See my post to Jeff above...there was no lighting from me, it's just a flood light above the garage door.
    13. They look so comfortable- like they feel alone, even with you there. You are really good at getting those real expressions. Awwww, what a great compliment, thank you!! These 2 were excellent about being "in the moment" and weren't self conscious one bit. The set is credited entirely their energy and connection!
    Rockin' work, Lynne! Since you have so many shoots this week, you are planning on sharing a lot, right!!?

About to share some from last night!!!! :D A very different set from these...there were even two dogs, like your set! Thanks again Heather for your insightful comments, they help a ton!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    5,6,9,11,12,13........oh yeeeaaahh!!!

Especialy 9 and 13.thumb.gif

Thanks for commenting, Jeff!!! I am jazzed about both of those, too.

FWIW, there was no lighting from me in 12/13....there were two overhead garage door lights that created the "pool" and the sun was down just enough to give the right touch of ambient. Add the 17-55 IS and voila! hand held natural mood lighting! iloveyou.gif

I don't know where I missed the class about shooting natural light an hour before sunset, but now I'm sold!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    #9 (love the dark vignette), 12 and 13 are my faves! Nice to have a couple that'll rock a bit of an adventure! :D
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I can't imagine #2 wouldn't find a place on their wall!!!! That's a powerful photograph... shows real emotion and may be a life long reminder to all of them about how happy it started, and may go a long way to getting them over the humps for years to come. I'm sure the dynamic of husband to daughter is very important to her and this shows it is wonderful!!! The composition is great... I love the little bit of dappled light passing through the subjects to the cobblestone, the tree's lined up, grass on the bottom/greenery on the top, the DOF with enough blur to separate but a clear view of the location. What on earth could you not like about that shot?

11, 5, and 13 are great. Maybe a closer crop on 13 but awesome as it is. 4 I don't care for, but that is mostly due to the sky being too hot for my taste.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I saw these on your blog before making my way back over to dgrin and gotta say... I love em! So many great shots here and I love your processing and treatment :)
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    #2 - a lot wrong but it's mostly the crop. I be thinking a tighter crop would fix all the "issues".

Absolutely love the cobblestone shot. The way they are looking at each other and the holding hands and the vignette and ..... Oh, BTW what were you standing on to get that wonderful perspective?

10 - how cool is that. This is a shot that was meant to be!!! This is great.

11 - ummm I'm thinking cutting off his face that way - not so cool. Because she's looking at the camera, I loose the connection between them.

12 - Lots and lots of negative space - this is another wonderful shot that I'm sure you thought I wouldn't like :D But I do!

13 - I love the intimacy of this one. Wow is the only word!

I think my favorites would have to be #2 (if it were cropped better) and 6 (cobblestones) and 13 (13 just gives me shivers!).
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    #9 (love the dark vignette), 12 and 13 are my faves! Nice to have a couple that'll rock a bit of an adventure! :D

Thjanks for your comments!

The greatest part about being a photographer is that rare occasion when you get in the "zone" with a client...you're all working together and excited and taking risks and having a ball. Makes it all worth it!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    mmmatt wrote:
    I can't imagine #2 wouldn't find a place on their wall!!!! That's a powerful photograph... shows real emotion and may be a life long reminder to all of them about how happy it started, and may go a long way to getting them over the humps for years to come. I'm sure the dynamic of husband to daughter is very important to her and this shows it is wonderful!!! The composition is great... I love the little bit of dappled light passing through the subjects to the cobblestone, the tree's lined up, grass on the bottom/greenery on the top, the DOF with enough blur to separate but a clear view of the location. What on earth could you not like about that shot?

11, 5, and 13 are great. Maybe a closer crop on 13 but awesome as it is. 4 I don't care for, but that is mostly due to the sky being too hot for my taste.

Matt

Thanks for your take on #2, I love my blended families, and I hope they like this shot as much as you do! iloveyou.gif

Thanks for taking the time to comment!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I saw these on your blog before making my way back over to dgrin and gotta say... I love em! So many great shots here and I love your processing and treatment :)

Hey Shima!!! Thanks for the comment! Really appreciate your traffic on the blog, too mwink.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Great shots!!! They're a really happy couple!