Options

Zooming while shooting

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 26, 2008 in Technique
Today's "How do I...?" question :) as usual, I understand in *theory*, but not in practice. Have found a few articles online, but none of them quite answer my Qs....

I've been footling around with my zoom in my living room (talk about "what not to shoot"!!!), but I can't quite seem to figure it out to create the effect I want - it usually just looks like bad lighting or camera shake rather than the time-tunnel effect I associate with this technique. :rofl:dunno

- what's a good rule of thumb for a shutter speed? (I've experimented with 1-3 seconds-ish, but it still doesn't look quite right to me)

- should zooming take the entire shutter time, or just some of it?

- so far it seems like zooming OUT (from longest reach to widest angle) gives a more marked effect... or am I just doing it wrong?

- does zooming faster or slower give you a more marked effect?

As ever, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I'm sure others are more practiced with this effect, but so far it is easier for me with a trombone type zoom and shutter on the slow 1/60th side~~~~cheers, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Not sure what effect you are going for so this is just a guess, but try pausing at different zoom spots momentarily. Instead of zooming quick all the way through, zoom smoothly but pause at intervals.

Hope this didn't confuse you more. headscratch.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    244659189_UkeqD-L.jpg
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Thanks!

In fact, I only saw these (very helpful) comments after I'd done the shoot, but it's nice to have some of the things I figured out confirmed (ie, stopping in mid zoom - the best ones I got had three distinct points of focus, kind of small/medium/large)

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    The "Radial Blur" filter in PhotoShop and other software can provide a similar effect, and you often have much greater control over the outcome.

For instance, if you want the effect to occur off-center you can accomplish that much more easily in the digital filter than using a lens based approach.

Likewise, if you notice a region that is not blurring correctly because it has too many elements or the contrast range is too high or, ... whatever, you can attend to those problems before the radial blur and often correct them.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    captain78 wrote:
    244659189_UkeqD-L.jpg

I'm getting dizzy!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook