Options

Re-Set EVERYTHING? (D300)

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited October 28, 2008 in Cameras
Lost the manual....go figure. My images, even with....High ISO NR - RAW - Low Image ISO - Lens @ 2.8 - On camera Fill Flash on some - etc etc....are coming out *WAY too soft* for my liking. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to post-production work, I think we all are in some manner or other.

See this thread for some obvious examples:

* http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109444 *

I think something must have been changed inadvertently and I'm not "seeing" it while shooting, but boy oh boy can I see it in the finished image, as can all of you.....and probably the clients involved!

Can someone tell me where the quick "factory pre-set" button to push is, I know it's here somewhere!? :D Obviously not, but is there truly a way to reset the camera to "out-of-box settings" and start over? I change my settings for each circumstance. (lighting - movement - Slow or fast shutter - etc) However, I think something in one of the sub-sub-sub menus has been fiddled (true Southern term right there :D ) with. Any of you that have the D300 know the depth of changes that can/could be made with their Abyss of menus. Getting a manual in the next couple of days but I was hoping to get this thing done....start from scratch....again.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 26, 2008
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 26, 2008
    P.S. With most cameras in order to do a complete system reset you just remove both the camera battery and the backup battery and let the camera sit for a couple hours. (Those cameras that have an "On" switch would be turned on during the period.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    The two button reset is on page 184, it's the QUAL and +/- buttons :) You can also download the printable menu from Nikon, by giving them the serial number, so that you can print it out on 8.5 x 11 sheets (preferably with duplexing and then put in a binder of some sort or have bound at Kinko's.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    if you have done any CUSTOM SETTINGS the 2 button reset will not do the trick . replace the manuel with a magic lantern guide easy to read and very good tips
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Are you using the same lens for all these images? Maybe the issues isn't the camera, but a faulty lens AF system.
  • Options
    feverfever Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2008
    exif data
    sorry mate no exif data so hard to guess ,try opening one of your shots in your photo software and ,look at exif data . this may show YOU the problem
  • Options
    feverfever Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2008
    you have pm

watch out for time difference