Options

"Universal" Lens Hoods?

LifeandLensLifeandLens Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited October 29, 2008 in Accessories
Hey all... I am a little frustrated that each of my Nikon lens has a different hood and hood mount... I realize the shape must be "custom" for the focal length range of the lens... but the lens hoods are so bulky that I often wont carry them. I want the hood for protection and for glare. Any suggestions for a nice "universal" hood for Nikon 77mm glass such as the 24-70 and 70-200?

Thanks - Tom
Tom Schauer
Life and Lens Photography
www.lifeandlens.com

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Well you can get those rubber foldy ones, but they are likely ineffective depending on the focal length.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90023-REG/Hama_HA_929_77_77mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Zoom.html

I haven't had a problem with bulk, as I keep the lens hoods attached to the lens, but on backwards when I have them in the bag.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Hey all... I am a little frustrated that each of my Nikon lens has a different hood and hood mount... I realize the shape must be "custom" for the focal length range of the lens... but the lens hoods are so bulky that I often wont carry them. I want the hood for protection and for glare. Any suggestions for a nice "universal" hood for Nikon 77mm glass such as the 24-70 and 70-200?

Thanks - Tom

Some where on here is alink to a DIY hood page.....they are paper work great......

here is where I purchased my last flower petal lens hood....it screws into the filter threads.....and it is adjustable for shooting in portrait or landscape mode....it may vignette a little on the 24-70 @ 24mm tho......and they are cheap.....so far I have no probs....it is on a 70-210 f2.8 Sigma lens.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Well you can get those rubber foldy ones, but they are likely ineffective depending on the focal length.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90023-REG/Hama_HA_929_77_77mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Zoom.html

I haven't had a problem with bulk, as I keep the lens hoods attached to the lens, but on backwards when I have them in the bag.

They work well if you get the proper ones....some are specified for WA (wide angle)......the really cheap ones will tear in a short period of time (less than a year)......but as OP stated I like mine attached all the time...it is just a matter of haing the correct bag.....I have my 70-210 f2.8 in a LowePro TopLoad 75AW with lens hood on and the tripod ring attached with Manfrotto Qucik release....and in same compartment is my Minolta lll Flash/Ambient Light Meter........it fits tight, but it fits.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    I prefer to use the original lens hood comes with the lens. The main reason is that the hood is customize to the optical angle of the lens (the focal lenght). The short (the wider) the focal lenght, the shorter the hood. Petal hood is modified in order to allow the best coverage.

The third party rubber hoods may not be suitable to all the lens. I used it only for those more than 200 mm lens in the old days. I still have a 52 mm from the old lens 20 over years ago. Furthermore, one of the key function of the hood is to protect the front glass. Soft rubber has limited effect.

The long focal length over 300 mm, has no problem to use any circular hoods.

Can consider to use the no cost version lens hood From http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Recently, I found a manufacturer from China copy all the lens hood and sell it at a fraction of original price in Hong Kong. If you are lucky, you may find it from ebay as well.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    I cannot speak for Nikon equipment
    I cannot speak for Nikon equipment but, the lens hoods for Canon EF lenses are designed to prevent flare and not to vignette with full frame cameras. They are overkill and not as efficient on the Canon 1.5x cameras. I am assuming the same would be true when using Nikon lenses designed for full frame cameras on Nikon 1.5x bodies.

As an example, the lens hood supplied with the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens is very big, bulky and inconvenient to use.

I shoot with two cameras. I have a 30D around my neck on an OPTECH strap with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens mounted and a 70-200mm f/4L IS on a 40D with a hand strap carried in a holster case at my left hip.

Many posters state that they carry their lenses in a case with the hood reversed. Obviously, they have never been photojournalists! Carrying a camera that is not ready for immediate action is ludicrous in any photojournalism venue.

I use a screw-in, round lens-hood on my 70-200mm lens. This lens hood is significantly smaller and allows me to retrieve the camera and lens from the holster case ready for shooting. In fact, I use an OPTECH Hood Hat in lieu of a lens cap to make the transition from cased camera to shooting camera even more easy and fast.

The screw-in hood protects the lens from flare as well as the OEM hood.

The screw-in hood protects the lens from damage as well (if not better) than the OEM hood. I fell with my 70-200mm lens on my 30D hitting a concrete sidewalk. The lens hood was toast but the lens was not damaged in any way. I bought a new hood for about seven bucks. That seven buck hood was the best purchase I ever made in photo accessories. The OEM hood MAY have protected the lens, but certainly not better than my screw-in hood.

The screw-in hood makes it easier to rotate a CPL because you just rotate the entire hood.

The screw-in hood is no where near as conspicuous as the giant OEM hood. many posters say they don't like "L" lenses because the "white" color makes them too noticeable. Actually, IMO, the 70-200mm with the smaller hood is not conspicuous at all.

NOTE: The round screw-in hoods cannot be used effectively with EFs lenses or other lenses designed for 1.6x cameras. Unfortunately this type of hood vignettes on my 17-55mm lens which is an EFs lens and on my 12-24mm Tokina which is not EFs but, which is designed for the 1.6x format.