Options

Walk to the park with my R72 filter.

ButterNutzButterNutz Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited October 31, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I had this Hoya R72 infared filter for a while, but never used it, i was bored so i took it to the park for a test drive with my 20D and my 10-22mm lens. After some PS thease are the results... different from most infared shots, but in my opinion still pretty cool. So here i am back on the forum looking for some critique, and maybe some pointers for using this filter with the listed setup. Thanks for looking and the help.
Barry
:thumbButterNutz!!!:thumb

Comments

• Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    Walk to the park with my R72 filter.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    sorry to start a new thread my compuer kinda spazzed out, and i couldn't figure out how to delete it.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    self portrait...hard to stand still for 30 secs.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    where the children play.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    the
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    ButterNutz wrote:
    I had this Hoya R72 infared filter for a while, but never used it, i was bored so i took it to the park for a test drive with my 20D and my 10-22mm lens. After some PS thease are the results... different from most infared shots, but in my opinion still pretty cool. So here i am back on the forum looking for some critique, and maybe some pointers for using this filter with the listed setup. Thanks for looking and the help.
    Barry

Hi Barry,

I merged your threads together :D

I like the last two shots that you posted.
    Are you hand holding or using a tripod.

The drawback with filters is the very slow shutter speeds.
    Usually you get better results using a Tripod and remote or timer.

You seem to be getting pretty good results, with what your doing.
    They lack sharpness, but they don't look too bad at all.

I don't know anyone who is using just a filter, except on the old Sony's.
    They took the R72 very well because the camera was already capable of doing IR.

Hopefully someone else who might be using the same set up as you could offer you some advice.

Looking pretty good so far thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    I'm liking the self-portrait. Well done there.

Not liking the first one too much - too dark and the flare kinda puts me off.

With reference to your comment about 30 second exposures, have you considered getting a camera modified to you can get more "reasonable" exposure times? There are a couple of places that do this and it makes all the difference in the world.
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

A modded camera will help out tremendously. Short of that, I'd suggest trying it when the sun is higher in the sky. It looks like you tried these either early morning or late afternoon. Mid-day would be best if possible.

If not try a longer exposure time (45-60 seconds or more) if possible. Not sure if you have longer settings available so you might need a remote. I know my Nikon D50 tops out at 30 seconds so I have to use a remote for longer exposures. And a tripod, or something stationary (park bench, picnic table, etc.) to set your camera on that won't move, is a must.

You don't mention the aperture used but you might also want to open that up as much as possible. Won't help much with depth of field (DOF) but might help with shorter exposure.

Working IR with a filter truly is a trial and error method so don't be afraid to mess around with the settings. You'll find that you may get it exactly the way you want it one time and when you go back to try it again, in a very similar setting, that it won't work at all. Keep at it! The satisfaction when you get that really cool shot in IR is always worth it.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2008
    thanks for the comments...i have thought about getting my camera modded out, but i need to wait for a little more cash flow so i can get a new body first. Thinking about the 5D markII we will see in time.
    Any body know if when using the R72 if i should do my white balance setting in my camera and balance the green grass as white? I read this somewhere and someone suggested doing that. Maybe next time i will try that and shoot around mid-day with an open aperature and see what kind of results i get.
    till next time
    barry