Options

focus selection selection? What is yours?

davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
edited October 31, 2008 in Weddings
This seems like a reasonable palce for posting event photo questions too.

How do you have your focus selection set up? Once upon a time there was one focus selection in the center of the frame. Now there are various focusing methods and technologies available to us.

What is your focusing point(s) setting for the majority of your wedding (event) work?

A second question, do you shoot Continuous Auto or Single Auto?

i'm really curious about this.

Thanks,
David

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    The short answer, as always is, "It depends!"
    This seems like a reasonable palce for posting event photo questions too.

How do you have your focus selection set up? Once upon a time there was one focus selection in the center of the frame. Now there are various focusing methods and technologies available to us.

What is your focusing point(s) setting for the majority of your wedding (event) work?
    For the majority of the time at a wedding/reception, I'm on center point only - doing a bit of focus-and-recompose. Usually, it's not an issue as I'm usually not right on top of the subject.

When doing the portraits/formals, I use the appropriate focus point as I have more time to let the camera/lens hunt a bit if it needs to.
    A second question, do you shoot Continuous Auto or Single Auto?
    During the processional/recessional I shoot Single shot AI Servo. At all other times, it's single shot. I've never used the continious, not even for the bouquet/garter toss.
    i'm really curious about this.

Thanks,
    David
    HTH
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Pretty much the same thing here:

I'm always on center point for everything

I'm almost always on single shot (sometimes I switch to AI servo for the recessional because their moving a little bit faster)

What kind of events are you talking about, just formal stuff? Or sports too, in that case continuous frames and AI servo are your friend.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    I use the multi controller (canon custom function #?) and almost never center focus. I have gotten away from the focus and recompose style because I have been burned so many times on DOF when shooting fast glass. If things are happening quick I throw it into 9 pt auto (one click of the -|- focus select buton when using the muti controler cf), or if things are happening really quick I try to pick a spot on the floor and manual focus to that, then fire when the subject hits the spot. I usually use one shot focus for posed or servo for moving subjects, but shot a wedding last weekend using the ai focus (automatically predicts when the subject is moving) and that worked OK, though my slower lens (f4) seemed to hunt more than normal.

The multi controler slows things up a bit at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes 2nd nature and things speed up again. It works well for me anyway.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    I'm a big proponent of using the selective spot focus based on the composition I desire. Quite often I think you can achieve a better comp with less cropping "IF" you do it right. It takes some getting used to and getting fast with changing it but I've had great results...now it's second nature. I even do it with fast paced events (not people) such as wildlife in AI Servo and have super results. Again, it takes practice. Often times if left on center focal point, the crops wane IMHO.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    I used to always use center AF point but I too have been finding alot of my photos out of focus. I just started this thread last week about the out of focus problems I was having and I got some pretty good response. Learned a lot that I had no clue about, I think you will find this very usefull as I had never heard of some of the things talked about. I used some of the techniques recommended and noticed a big difference.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109429&page=2
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    I almost never use central point, unless it's a group shot or something large and flat. Since vast majority of my recent material are people and I shoot with a rather shallow DOF (rarely above f/4), I find it important to focus on the eyes, and they are almost never in a center of my frame. Considering the typical distances I'm shooting at, the fabled "focus and reframe" approach leads to too many OOF frames to be used IRL. It worked well in the past with the cheap focus-free cameras and rangefinders (and shooting at f/11 or slower), but in today's precise portrait photography it really doesn't hold the water. ne_nau.gif
    That, btw, is one of the primary reasons I don't want to switch to a split screen focusing system, since it would only support one central focus point. Great for wildlife/sport shooters and their super long telephoto, not so good for shooting people wide open in tight quarters.deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    I always use spot focus and focus on the subjects far eye.
    I adjust the center point for whether it is landscape or vertical so I don't have to crop the photo when the action is happening to fast to focus and reframe (if I didn't do this it would cost me hours of cropping in photoshop to fix the compositions). If things are moving slow I normally just use the center point the recompose.

I shoot single unless the subjects are moving in any way then I shoot continuous.

I imagine you will end up using what works best for you..
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    I primarily use center point, but I am so familiar with my cams that it takes about 1 second to dial to any focus point without even dropping my eye from the viewfinder. I would say that 25-30% of my shots from a wedding aren't on center point. But I start there and may go to another spot, then back to center.

I only find that I need continuous focus mode for football and basketball (college), I use single for all else.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    davidjaydavidjay Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Hey David,

Great name by the way! :) I still prefer the center focusing and then I shoot in single shot mode so once I lock it in I bounce around for composition. I've seen some friends dial around and use more of the other focusing points and a lot of people are now using the back button for focusing which gives some more control but I never really liked that.

Rock on,
    DJ

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    For me (using Nikon D3's) it's probably centre focus point 50% of the time, the rest of the time being shared by the other possible points.

I mainly use continuous focus mode - this seems to give more consistent results with the Nikon system, in fact it is remarkably good. If it is really dark, I'll use the single focus mode because that lets me use the focus assist light on my SB800s.

For actual use, I probably use the AF buttons on the camera 50% and the half press of the shutter button 50%.

So I'm all over the place, depending on the actual situation.

It's funny, when I upgraded to the D3 from the D2 series, I hated the new AF - took me ages to get to grips with it. Once I had gotten my head around the whole thing, I really like it. If I take 2,000 shots at a wedding, I bet no more than 4 or 5 are dumped due to poor focusing.

Of course, lots are deleted for just being crap, but I can't blame the cameras for that :D
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    mmmatt wrote:
    I use the multi controller (canon custom function #?) and almost never center focus. I have gotten away from the focus and recompose style because I have been burned so many times on DOF when shooting fast glass.

The multi controler slows things up a bit at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes 2nd nature and things speed up again. It works well for me anyway.

Matt

I do the same thing - but with Nikon using the rear control button. After a few times it's like second nature.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist