Options

Tidying an Image

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited October 31, 2008 in Technique
I took this shot this afternoon. As you will see there are a lot of distracting branches. I use CS3 and I was wondering if anyone can advise me as to the tools to use and the step by step route to take with a view to tidying up this shot.
Regards
Bob
406089510_mPjAc-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 30, 2008
    You can use either the Clone (S key ) tool or the Spot Healing Brush Tool ( J key). With the clone tool you have to choose an area of the image to substitute for the area of the limb being removed. The Spot Healing Brush works well for smaller objects, but can create funny extra marks if not used carefully. I would do the cloning on a copy of the background image(CTRL-J ), so that you can undo cloning mistakes when they occur, and you will make a few along the way.

The truth is, that this image has a lot of stuff to be removed, so it will take some time, and even still, may not look quite as good as you hope, even with skillful work in Photoshop. I say this because I have tried to do this on some of my bird shots over the years. Those little birds are just not as cooperative, as they might be, are they?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    You can use either the Clone (S key ) tool or the Spot Healing Brush Tool ( J key). With the clone tool you have to choose an area of the image to substitute for the area of the limb being removed. The Spot Healing Brush works well for smaller objects, but can create funny extra marks if not used carefully. I would do the cloning on a copy of the background image(CTRL-J ), so that you can undo cloning mistakes when they occur, and you will make a few along the way.

The truth is, that this image has a lot of stuff to be removed, so it will take some time, and even still, may not look quite as good as you hope, even with skillful work in Photoshop. I say this because I have tried to do this on some of my bird shots over the years. Those little birds are just not as cooperative, as they might be, are they?

Thanks for your help. I was considering the Clone tool but thought there may have been another way to do it. However, here is my attempt. What do you think as I am not too happy with the line on the top of its back.
    Regards
    Bob
    406162054_suLKN-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    I think this is pretty good - you had a lot of stuff to remove, without leaving traces in the smooth, even, light colored, background remaining. Not that easy to do. There is a little bit of blurring around the tail of the bird I think.

With as much stuff to remove as in your first image, it might actually be faster and easier to create a new, empty canvas, and just clone the bird, only, into the new empty canvas.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think this is pretty good - you had a lot of stuff to remove, without leaving traces in the smooth, even, light colored, background remaining. Not that easy to do. There is a little bit of blurring around the tail of the bird I think.

With as much stuff to remove as in your first image, it might actually be faster and easier to create a new, empty canvas, and just clone the bird, only, into the new empty canvas.

Thanks for looking and commenting again. Can you please point me in the right direction to clone the bird as I have totally forgotten. There is such an awaful lot to take in with CS3 but I am confident I am slowly getting there and thoroughly enjoying it on the way.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2008
    First, open your bird image.

Then -> File > New > Menu box to open a new canvas

Paint this new canvas white, or what ever background you desire

The click on your bird image again. Use the clone brush, sampling with the Alt/Option key over the birdie, and paint it into the new canvas with the clone brush. It really is just like using the clone brush to remove a twig, but onto a new canvas, rather than just moving something on the same canvas. Give it a try.thumb.gif

• Options
    edited October 31, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    First, open your bird image.

Then -> File > New > Menu box to open a new canvas

Paint this new canvas white, or what ever background you desire

The click on your bird image again. Use the clone brush, sampling with the Alt/Option key over the birdie, and paint it into the new canvas with the clone brush. It really is just like using the clone brush to remove a twig, but onto a new canvas, rather than just moving something on the same canvas. Give it a try.thumb.gif

I tried and I was ok up until painting it onto the new canvas. The bird was far too big and I was also making an untidy mess on the edges. Although I see the idea. If I knew how exactly I think it would be ideal.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    houseofdixonhouseofdixon Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Honestly, I like the branches being there...Maybe just take them down in opacity or blur them more...It adds to the image, unless you are doing an object shot for a specific use.
  • Options
    susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Bird
    I wouldn't have thought of doing it Pathfinders way, but isn't it obvious once you know how! rolleyes1.gif

This is my effort. I duplicated the image and clicking on the background layer I made a new empty layer which I filled with white (though you could use any colour or texture etc). I then clicked on the top layer and added a mask. By painting with black, I was able to erase the twigs and leave the bird on a white background. It is hardly a natural background for the subject though. You may want to substitute the white background layer for another more realistic one.

If you want it more detailed, pm me. I hope the image is attached, I've not done this before.

Hope this helps.