Options

Nikon D80 or Canon 450D

ightenhillightenhill Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited November 3, 2008 in Cameras
Have decided to pick up an DSLR for the big trip this year across Asia..

It use will be a lot of landscape photogrophy, I love photographing people and some glamour and wildlife; but cant decide between these two cameras..

The Nikon was my starting point simply because my Brother has one I got on with it and it would be possible to "borrow" lenses for a while..

But some reviews seem to tell me the Canons a better buy and this has clouded the waters for me.

Any advice would be lovely..

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited November 2, 2008
    I suggest you look at the total system costs before making a final decision.

You mention that your brother has Nikon and that you might be able to borrow lenses, which might be great depending upon the lenses in question. Do you know what he has?

If considering the Nikon system it would be hard not to mention the Nikon D90, which I consider a considerable upgrade over the D80 in most respects.

You do mention landscape, people(?), glamour and wildlife. This would normally indicate a number of different lenses, but the trip to Asia might suggest a different set entirely (depending on what you will see and wish to record.) If you could be more specific about what you mean by "people" that might be helpful for recommendations.

My current travel kit consists of:

Canon 40D
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Tamron 1.4x teleconverter
    Canon 1.4x teleconverter
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Canon 500D, 77mm, diopter lens with 67-77mm ring to fit 70-200mm, f/4L, gives almost 1:1 at MFD.
    2 - Sigma 500 DG Super flashes
    Charger and spare camera battery.

Around 15 pounds and fits a "sling" type backpack bag and I added an additional strap so that the same bag can be carried "over-the-shoulder" as well.

Something similar could be built using many different cameras and lenses from many manufacturers.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    The Nikon vs Canon decision is an important one, but its kind of a Coke vs Pepsi choice. Either will be just fine. Since your brother has Nikon, I'd let that play a heavy role in the decision. I share many things with my Nikon friends and wish all of my friends had compatible equipment.

This weekend I shot with both a D80 and a D90. The D90 shoots very cleanly at ISO1600 and ISO3200 is usable. The D80 is nice to ISO 800. Other than that, the self cleaning sensor, and the D90 video capabilities, there isn't a great deal difference. That said, I would have trouble buying the older tech of the D80, unless you could find a nice price on a used one. There have been several D200 bodies in the classified sections lately for $650.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Personally, I think the CMOS sensor in the Canon is superior to the CCD sensor on the D80 in terms of noise control.

However, I think Nikon's have a better body and ergonomics. If you are planning to to borrow your brothers lenses, I'd also consider the newer D90, which too has a CMOS sensor. If money is a factor you can also get a D40/D40x/D60 if they are around and upgrade later. IIRC, I think the D40x/D60/D80 all share the same 10MP CCD sensor. I could be wrong on this one though.

Remember that you are buying into a system if you are serious about photography and may want to look into things like lenses, flash, and such.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    As others have mentioned the "brand" is your first step, and choose wisely. Once you start adding quality glass it makes switching darn near impossible.
    It is more of a personal feel with today's camera's from Nikon or Canon. Both are making leaps and bounds with higher ISO and detailed settings.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Im going to borrow the brothers camera etc for a week or so and see how we get on then will look at the D90 as well.

One quick question... Can I use the RAW NEF files from the NIkon D90 with CS2 or do I have to upgrade to CS3 or 4 first..
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited November 3, 2008
    ightenhill wrote:

One quick question... Can I use the RAW NEF files from the NIkon D90 with CS2 or do I have to upgrade to CS3 or 4 first..

The Adobe DNG (Digital NeGative) converter application should be able to convert the files into a DNG that CS2 can understand. (I do that with the Canon 40D RAW files.)

CS2 version of ACR will never be updated to the D90 RAW files I'm afraid. (That's one way for Adobe to force you to buy their latest PS version, a policy which stinks, IMO.)

RAW Therapee (freeware) may also be able to convert the files natively. (It appears that it does, according to their website and the DCRaw website.)

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

Supported Nikon dSLR cameras using RAW Therapee/DCRaw:

Nikon D1
    Nikon D1H
    Nikon D1X
    Nikon D2H
    Nikon D2Hs
    Nikon D2X
    Nikon D2Xs
    Nikon D3
    Nikon D40
    Nikon D40X
    Nikon D50
    Nikon D60
    Nikon D70
    Nikon D70s
    Nikon D80
    Nikon D90
    Nikon D100
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D300
    Nikon D700
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Thanks for the info about that Ziggy and thanks everyone for the input..
  • Options
    rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    I absolutely love my D80. The newer Canon's (and Nikons) are better in low light, but I always shoot with a tripod in low light anyway. The D80 is a reliable and fun camera to shoot with. Seeing as how the price has went down, I would pick up another one in a heartbeat should mine die.