Getting to know my macro lens:

20332786-L.jpg

20332799-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    txtrinitytigertxtrinitytiger Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2005
    Mike,

Those are some great photos with awesome detail and very well use of a shallow depth of field.

The photo with the fly... how long did you have to wait for the fly? I've been experimenting with taking photos of animals and one thing I always find myself doing is tracking them for awhile waiting for that good position.

~ JLR
  • Options
    Mike-PhotosMike-Photos Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Hi JLR...
    Mike,

Those are some great photos with awesome detail and very well use of a shallow depth of field.

The photo with the fly... how long did you have to wait for the fly? I've been experimenting with taking photos of animals and one thing I always find myself doing is tracking them for awhile waiting for that good position.

~ JLR
    Thanks for the comments. If there's one thing about macros, it's that it requires patience and luck. I find that there are far less keepers with macros than any other kind of photos I take. One reason for me is that I don't like using a tripod, so just getting in focus is tricky.

I don't have the problems to the same extent with non-macro photos. Here is my gallery with many bird pictures:

http://mikekatz.smugmug.com/gallery/487139
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    Cool shots mike, especially #1 for me. :): Looks like you'll be great friends with that lens.

AJ
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Hi AJ...
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Cool shots mike, especially #1 for me. :): Looks like you'll be great friends with that lens.

AJ
    Thanks, and yes, I am enjoying it.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    Are you getting to know your flash as well? I'm still lusting for a nice macro lens, but all the reading I've done preparing for it indicates I won't be doing much without my flash.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Hi Erik...
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Are you getting to know your flash as well? I'm still lusting for a nice macro lens, but all the reading I've done preparing for it indicates I won't be doing much without my flash.
    I haven't used my flash yet, although I did use it on my old camera (Sony F828).

I far prefer natural light, and the 100mm macro lens is F/2.8. Also, with the anti-shake built into the camera, I can get down to much slower speeds - 1/30th, even 1/15h, can come out tack sharp. For example, this one was taken at 1/40th:

20332772-M.jpg