Options

The economy -- Are people shopping?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 4, 2008 in Street and Documentary
On Saturday, I found myself in midtown Manhattan with a camera and an afternoon to kill. I thought I'd go investigate the economy by way of some of the big stores and see how busy the retailers were. After all, I hear that things are bad, very bad, a recession, a depression, but I don't really know what that means. Perhaps a some first hand experience would give me a more concrete view.

409118048_GJgta-L.jpg

I started out in Bloomingdale's. To be honest, I haven't been in there since the '60s, so I really had nothing to compare it to, except my expectations, which are probably based on Sex and the City or something. I expected that Bloomy's on a normal Saturday afternoon would be so crowded that I'd barely be able to move without bumping into people. As you can see, this certainly wasn't true.

409119107_pdNqS-L.jpg

But it wasn't actually totally dead. I think I should clarify. Initially I thought I might find these stores to be so quiet that I'd get an entry for the Silent or Loud Challenge, perhaps something I could title The Sounds of Silence at Bloomingdale's. But, in fact, there were quite a few careful looking buyers everywhere I looked.

409118486_Pu4he-L.jpg

Two places that seemed plenty busy were The Apple Store and Abercrombie on Fifth Avenue.

409119931_9RPPn-L.jpg

In fact, Abercrombie was so crowded that there was a line around the corner just to get into the store.

409121444_Tk483-L.jpg

I talked to the people in this line and discovered that none of them were Americans. I met people from England, Ireland, Germany, Canada, Japan, but nobody from the U.S.A. The people told me in the line told me that either there was no Abercrombie where they lived or that the prices were much lower here than at home. SO perhaps this was a special case.

On the other hand, it was deadsville in Bergdorf Goodman.

409120620_4w6FM-L.jpg

Saks was a mixed bag. Not many people upstairs,

409121972_qbcdy-L.jpg

but a lot of people getting free makeovers downstairs.

409123121_ouLqj-L.jpg

Of course, it's impossible to draw a valid conclusion from this afternoon's entertainment. It's the absolute opposite of a scientific survey. But honestly, it made me feel a little better about things. People were out and about, doing at least some of what they usually do.

Maybe if more people bring their cameras into the stores, we'll get a better picture of the state of things...
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    I was at Orlando's "high class" Mall at Millenia and it was fairly busy. My guess is that people are taking the money formerly used for mortgage payments to shop for nice things they can take with them. (That is pure cynicism and conjecture, not my serious attitude). mwink.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Hello Rutt nice to see your post after long time.
    Great photography !
    As far as economy is concerned i have observed a big difference here majorly not because of recent economic crises but because of the greedy politicians. Thanks god they have solved the electricity problem otherwise i had to sit in street light about 2km from home to prepare for exams till morning ! and i was worried about the winter rolleyes1.gif . I was surprised the previous military government gave time of 3 years to solve the problem but new government solved the issue far sooner (by just paying outstanding dues to oil companies who supply fuel to electricity plants). lol
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    I was watching Fox news the other night and they reported that nationwide car sales as well as retail sales were down. They did report that gun sales were up by 10%. Interesting and scary. Two factors they felt were driving sales is the thought that gun laws could possibly be changed after the election and the fear that crime may rise.

On a more local level, I have noticed that the new mall near my home is overall not really busy. They opened an Ethan Allen store at this outdoors mall and within 8 months it was closed as well as a few other stores. Also I have been receiving coupons in the mail early than ever for discounts at these stores.

Will be interesting to see what happens after the election
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Long time no post, John, nice to see you're still in PJ action :-)clap.gif
    Last time I tried to use a big camera (I think it was 828, maaybe 20D) in a mall I was asked to leave in like 10 minutes after I started. Guess it depends on location, maybe Bloomy is photog-friendly...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Long time no post, John, nice to see you're still in PJ action :-)clap.gif
    Last time I tried to use a big camera (I think it was 828, maaybe 20D) in a mall I was asked to leave in like 10 minutes after I started. Guess it depends on location, maybe Bloomy is photog-friendly...mwink.gif

They didn't mind me in the places where people were shopping and hated me in the places where nobody was.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Hey Rutt! Good stuff! This weekend the Apple store at our mall was jammed (as usual)...Abercrombie was dead as was Hollister. I don't shop at A or H...but I like to walk in to look at the photography that they use in their displays. I love the huge, gorgeous, larger than life B&W prints. I've often wondered if they were shot in digital or film. ne_nau.gif I'm guessing film because even up close I can't see any pixelation.

I was shopping in Macy's last week and was wishing I had a camera with me as I thought a photo of the stylized mannequins without eyes, mouth or ears might make a good entry for the "silent or loud" challenge.

Glad to see your still kickin' (& clickin')!
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    Of course, it's impossible to draw a valid conclusion from this afternoon's entertainment. It's the absolute opposite of a scientific survey. But honestly, it made me feel a little better about things. People were out and about, doing at least some of what they usually do.

Maybe if more people bring their cameras into the stores, we'll get a better picture of the state of things...
    Most of the people spending money in stores in Manhattan right now are tourist taking advantage of the weak US economy. I keep reading that many stores are starting to accept Euro's to make it easier on them.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Most of the people spending money in stores in Manhattan right now are tourist taking advantage of the weak US economy. I keep reading that many stores are starting to accept Euro's to make it easier on them.

That was certainly true at Abercrombie but certainly not true at Bloomy's. I did a little interviewing and the results were pretty clear.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Hey Rutt! Good stuff! This weekend the Apple store at our mall was jammed (as usual)...Abercrombie was dead as was Hollister. I don't shop at A or H...but I like to walk in to look at the photography that they use in their displays. I love the huge, gorgeous, larger than life B&W prints. I've often wondered if they were shot in digital or film. ne_nau.gif I'm guessing film because even up close I can't see any pixelation.

I was shopping in Macy's last week and was wishing I had a camera with me as I thought a photo of the stylized mannequins without eyes, mouth or ears might make a good entry for the "silent or loud" challenge.

Glad to see your still kickin' (& clickin')!

I think the bulk of Abercrombie's photo work is film. I've met the guy who does most of the developing work for their print campaigns. He has one of the last remaining B&W shops left in Manhattan.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    People with Money
    As a shopper kinda girl, I can tell you that Bloomie's IS empty like that on many floors even in good times - by design. When they have a sale, the stores are packed and not so much when the stuff is regular priced. Saks too. This is a quiet time of year until maybe mid-Nov. Many of the shoppers have personal shoppers in the high end stores and they don't need to look on the racks. Cosmetics departments are usually busy. Now I am not saying that traffic isn't down - but the shoppers who buy high end don't shop often on Saturday - that's amatuer day. I was in Beverly Hills yesterday and it was a zoo. (I was working and not on photos - too bad, it'd have been a great day to shop!)
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    B&H was PACKED yesterday morning! We had some time to kill between shooting the marathon on Sunday and a Monday afternoon flight. So we decided to go check it out. You'd never know we were facing a recession in that store.

Cheers
    Craig
    http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney