Options

New 50D - A Couple of Quick Questions

RxRickRxRick Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited November 5, 2008 in Cameras
I've had it for two weeks now and I'm upgrading from a five-year-old Digital Rebel, so this is a big improvement. I'm using the lens that came with it, a 28-135 IS (my first IS lens). I'm a typical hobbyist, shooting mostly in jpeg and mostly on the basic settings. I'm reading about RAW and want to do more of that, but it's mostly family shots and sports. Even though I've been using older equipment, I take a LOT of photographs.

I've taken a few shots around the neighborhood like my daughter's softball team, where the 6.3 fps comes in handy

408209955_PbJsA-L.jpg
408210118_GaEfL-L.jpg

408228107_6kUVw-L.jpg
408228771_D5VTw-L.jpg
408229547_HLYRf-L.jpg
408230106_k6WQt-L.jpg
408230691_5SLJq-L.jpg

I've also taken some shots around the neighborhood at sunset and the low light capabilities are terrific. The egret was shot at 1/10th shutter speed at 1600 ISO.

405286831_QMo3d-L.jpg
397992335_epXsJ-L.jpg
397990386_zy7yS-L.jpg
405283622_UZDSy-L.jpg

The shot of the kid might have been decent had it been in focus, which brings me to my first question - the shots don't always seem that sharp. I've read where autofocus can be off and that lenses can be adjusted, but shouldn't a new camera be a little better than this? My other question has to do with the file numbers. The first photo I downloaded was file #4508. I went back and checked and my old camera started on #0001. Does Canon now start numbering differently? Or did I get a camera with 4500 shutter activations on it? In other words, did I get a camera that might have already been returned? What do you'all think?

--RxRick

Comments

• Options
    billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Hey Rick, I recently got a 50D with the same lens and I think that lens doesn't always focus perfectly I sometimes get a better focus manually but overall it is pretty good. I also don't think you can get the best out of this camera with that lens, it just isn't a real sharp lens to begin with. And yes the 6.3fps is really nice. :D

As far as the numbering that does seem like a high number, I don't know if that means anything, I looked back at my first pictures and mine started at one, but could the numbering be a factor of how you imported it onto the computer? Maybe some of the Canon experts here can give some insight? This is my first DSLR and first Canon so I am sure others can give you more insight on the numbering.
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited November 3, 2008
    RxRick,

A CF card that had been used in another camera can transfer the other camera's count into the new camera.

I have read that if you reset the new camera by removing both the main battery and the backup CMOS battery, fire up the camera again and insert a new/unused card, the new card should now contain a more accurate count.

If you used an older card and if the count can be attributed to the older camera, then there is no worry.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    RxRick,

A CF card that had been used in another camera can transfer the other camera's count into the new camera.

Really? I always thought the camera controlled the file names. That's good to know. But in this case it was a brand new 4 gig CF card that was formatted for the first time in the camera.

Thanks for the info.

--RxRick
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    If you are shooting in basic mode, all except the sports mode may use all of the AF points, in which the camera can be easily fooled in to focusing on something that isn't the subject.

I'd recommend using the P or the advanced mode where you can select a specific AF point to better assure that the subject is in focus.
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    RxRick wrote:
    Really? I always thought the camera controlled the file names. That's good to know. But in this case it was a brand new 4 gig CF card that was formatted for the first time in the camera.

The camera "controls" them in that the software can write whatever value it wants onto the flash card, but they seem to be designed to inherit values from previous cameras. My guess is that the intention is so that people who are replacing one camera with another won't have to worry about conflicting file #s. My 300D inherited its starting value from my previous P&S Canon, and my new 50D inherited its value from my 300D.

If you want to confirm it, check the filenames for the last image from the old camera and first image from the new camera.

--Ian
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Rick,

Look at page 80 of your instruction manual in regards to the file number issue. You may need to reset this and then try reformating your memory card.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    codrus wrote:
    The camera "controls" them in that the software can write whatever value it wants onto the flash card, but they seem to be designed to inherit values from previous cameras. My guess is that the intention is so that people who are replacing one camera with another won't have to worry about conflicting file #s. My 300D inherited its starting value from my previous P&S Canon, and my new 50D inherited its value from my 300D.

If you want to confirm it, check the filenames for the last image from the old camera and first image from the new camera.

--Ian
    Correct - mostly. The camera does control the naming of the files. But, in order to avoid naming conflicts, the camera inspects the card, compares the number of the "highest" named file with the last one it wrote (to whatever card) and takes the highest number. Then it adds 1 to that and this is the name/number of the next file written to the card.

To reset back to the begining, remove the card, set file numbering to manual reset, re-insert and format the card. This will reset the numbering to 0001. The folder number will be whatever is next in sequence (but who really cares:D). All this is on pgs 80 and 81 of the 50D Owner's Manual.

If you want to reset the numbering to 0001 and reset the folder to 001, I think you are going to have to do as indicated by Ziggy.

Personally, I don't worry about it. I understand that I really have no control over the file names/numbering so I just set it to "Continuous" and let it go at that. When the folder number started to get high (in the 900's), I reset it then because I don't want or need the camera to lock up on me when it attempts to write file number 9999 into folder 999 (see the bottom of page 81 for a description of this event). Why Canon can't figure out a way to avoid the lock-up, I really don't know. One would think they could write/include a simple routine that would allow for creating a new folder, numbered 001 and let it go at that. But, I guess that would be too simple - they want to make sure their customers have something to get frustrated about:D.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited November 4, 2008
    codrus wrote:

--Ian

Ian, welcome to the Digital Grin and thanks for the comments. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    RxRick wrote:
    The shot of the kid might have been decent had it been in focus, which brings me to my first question - the shots don't always seem that sharp. I've read where autofocus can be off and that lenses can be adjusted, but shouldn't a new camera be a little better than this?
    Tee Why wrote:
    If you are shooting in basic mode, all except the sports mode may use all of the AF points, in which the camera can be easily fooled in to focusing on something that isn't the subject.

I'd recommend using the P or the advanced mode where you can select a specific AF point to better assure that the subject is in focus.
    I downloaded the shot of the boy and, while it is a little distorted (jaggies) when you zoom, his right hand (left side facing you) seems very sharp when compared to his face. Even his left hand is much better than his face and eyes. So I agree with TeeWhy the issue is probabaly the focus point being used and not necessarily the lens or camera.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    Dang, you guys know a lot about this stuff. Thanks for all the input - you answered my questions completely. I haven't gotten to page 80 in my instruction novel yet (220+ pages), but I'm reading it bit by bit.

--RxRick
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I downloaded the shot of the boy and, while it is a little distorted (jaggies) when you zoom, his right hand (left side facing you) seems very sharp when compared to his face. Even his left hand is much better than his face and eyes. So I agree with TeeWhy the issue is probabaly the focus point being used and not necessarily the lens or camera.

I was wondering about that too because it looked like at least one of the hands was the point of focus on this shot.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com