Options

MMA anyone ?

Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
edited November 8, 2008 in Sports
I have an opportunity to shoot some MMA (Mixed martial Arts) action this week. Anyone out there have any experience shooting this sport ?

I anticipate poor lighting conditions but feel the D3 should be up to the task.

Was more interested in the do's and donts while the fighting is happening.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
that has added up over the years :wink

Comments

• Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    I've always been interested in shooting this type of sport too. You'll have a fun time.

The D3 will be awesome (I have D700's and they has the same processor) for this venue. The lighting will depend on the organization putting on the event. If it is UFC than the lighting looks to be really good. Smaller promotions tend to have poorer lighting.

I assume you'll be shooting at ISO 1600 minimum and maybe even up to ISO 6400.

I can tell you this! You'll have better equipment than anyone I've seen photographing these events. I see a lot of "photographers" covering mma events (especially the UFC) who don't really appear to know propers lens or body choices. I've seen kit lenses used with consumer-grade bodies.

Do you have a press pass? If so, what event are you shooting for? Please tell me its not the UFC 91?! eek7.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    Do not do the following:

1) Use a flash (you'll never photograph the event again if so and it creates a very dangerous situation for the fighters)

2) Get your lens too close to ring or cage unless you have no other focal length. If so, there is a chance (especially in a ring), that you'll get a finger/arm/extremetity hitting you or your camera and you'll get sweat/blood on your lenses.

3) If it is a cage, ask beforehand if it is ok that you position yourself overtop the cage if you need too. You'll see it on TV sometimes (UFC allows this with their photographers in certain situations).

Do:

1) Get shots of the fighters entering the ring, getting announces, waiting to get the decision, as well as the fighting.

2) Get shots of the fighters with their sponsors promonint on their shorts or banners!! Very important if you want to be a popular guy amongst the fighters. **** IMPORTANT

3) Get shots of the promotion's advertising who is running the event in lots of shots (i.e. UFC, strikeforce, WEC, etc...) This and #2 may decide whether or not to ask you back. **** IMPORTANT.

4) If allowed, give some of the shots you've taken to the fighters for free. Especially ones with their sponsors. They'll remember you specifically the next time because you did so. They may even request that you do training shoots for them.

5) Try and capture each fighter in a "winning" shot even if they are getting rocked. Try to get each fighter throwing in mid-punch early in the first round when they both look good.

6) Get the big knockout. This shot will sell, especially if it is in mid-frame.

7) Capture emotions such as disappointment, excitement, nervousness, exhaustion between rounds while the fighters are in their corner.

8) Try and get as many shots of the fighters WITH their trainers close-by or sponsors.

I hope I didn't sound redundant, but I wasn't sure if you got hired by promotion or a fighter, or just got lucky and got an opportunity. :D

Best of luck and have fun!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    A D3 and some fast lenses will be perfect.

I had to shoot through the cage on the event I covered and it was extremely difficult. Definitely bring a ladder and try to get permission to shoot over the top from a corner.

Bring two bodies one with a 24-70 and a 70-200. You definitely do not want to be changing lenses mid fight.

I would also suggest shooting in jpg and spamming away. You'll save a lot of time in post and also take advantage of the high frame rate so you'll be less inclined to miss a money shot.

Have fun!
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    Great feedback guys, thanks alot.

From a gear perspective I should be okay...

D3 with 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. Combined with the great ISO performance I should be ready.
    Unfort its not UFC91, that would of been great. Its more a local thing right now for a friend who opened up the first MMA training centre. But I have always wanted to shoot this sort of action and hope I can sharpen the skills locally and get the opportunity to shoot larger MMA events.

I have watched many UFC events and you are right that the camera gear I have seen doesnt appear to be top notch.

Great tips and thanks again.

I'll post up a few series when I get some photos.

Cheers

Dave

• Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    Wow, thanks for taking the time with this info.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
    Do not do the following:

1) Use a flash (you'll never photograph the event again if so and it creates a very dangerous situation for the fighters)

2) Get your lens too close to ring or cage unless you have no other focal length. If so, there is a chance (especially in a ring), that you'll get a finger/arm/extremetity hitting you or your camera and you'll get sweat/blood on your lenses.

3) If it is a cage, ask beforehand if it is ok that you position yourself overtop the cage if you need too. You'll see it on TV sometimes (UFC allows this with their photographers in certain situations).

Do:

1) Get shots of the fighters entering the ring, getting announces, waiting to get the decision, as well as the fighting.

2) Get shots of the fighters with their sponsors promonint on their shorts or banners!! Very important if you want to be a popular guy amongst the fighters. **** IMPORTANT

3) Get shots of the promotion's advertising who is running the event in lots of shots (i.e. UFC, strikeforce, WEC, etc...) This and #2 may decide whether or not to ask you back. **** IMPORTANT.

4) If allowed, give some of the shots you've taken to the fighters for free. Especially ones with their sponsors. They'll remember you specifically the next time because you did so. They may even request that you do training shoots for them.

5) Try and capture each fighter in a "winning" shot even if they are getting rocked. Try to get each fighter throwing in mid-punch early in the first round when they both look good.

6) Get the big knockout. This shot will sell, especially if it is in mid-frame.

7) Capture emotions such as disappointment, excitement, nervousness, exhaustion between rounds while the fighters are in their corner.

8) Try and get as many shots of the fighters WITH their trainers close-by or sponsors.

I hope I didn't sound redundant, but I wasn't sure if you got hired by promotion or a fighter, or just got lucky and got an opportunity. :D

Best of luck and have fun!

• Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    No worries. These of course are just observations taken from watching the events themselves as well as photographing other events. Some things stay the same I assume. If you are ever shooting MMA down Toronto-way and want some company, let me know! I'm a big fan. thumb.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Only one tidbit I'll disagree with. If you can't shoot over the cage you absolutely want to get your camera right up ON the cage. The further the lens is away the more the cage will appear in the shot and the more it will affect AF. The exception being when they're right on top of you. Otherwise get right up on it.
    188199336_hGLRp-L.jpg
    187695764_xiPq3-L-1.jpg

188200252_PwkxG-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    johng wrote:
    Only one tidbit I'll disagree with. If you can't shoot over the cage you absolutely want to get your camera right up ON the cage. The further the lens is away the more the cage will appear in the shot and the more it will affect AF. The exception being when they're right on top of you. Otherwise get right up on it.
    188199336_hGLRp-L.jpg
    187695764_xiPq3-L-1.jpg

188200252_PwkxG-L.jpg

Agreed. Except when there is no cage. Not all MMA events are held in cages. mwink.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    awmphotoawmphoto Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Hey just to add in a helpful link, sportsshooter just had a very informative thread on shooting boxing, and I can imagine that some of those tips would carry over well to MMA shooting. (make sure you check out the link posted by Robert Hanashiro, it's a great read)

The link is http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=31203. Hope this helps!
    awmphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Agreed. Except when there is no cage. Not all MMA events are held in cages. mwink.gif
    Actually no different - for a ring you want your lens right under the rope so the ropes aren't in the way mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    lol.... touché!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Thanks for the shots...Good stuff. What kind of camera were you using ??
    ISO ??

Thanks again.

Dave
    johng wrote:
    188199336_hGLRp-L.jpg
    187695764_xiPq3-L-1.jpg

188200252_PwkxG-L.jpg

• Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Dave, my shots were with a canon 1dmkIII at ISO 2000. But as someone else mentioned the ISO is going to be venue dependent so I wouldn't lock on to that 2000 value. I will say, having to shoot THRU the cage was very difficult insofar as there were only certain positions I was allowed to shoot from. Depending on their angle from my position it could be difficult or impossible to get a clear shot. And, you're also at the mercy of where the official positions themselves at. I would say those two elements made shooting MMA very difficult. It was frustrating having all that action relatively close but not being able to capture it.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    johng wrote:
    Dave, my shots were with a canon 1dmkIII at ISO 2000. But as someone else mentioned the ISO is going to be venue dependent so I wouldn't lock on to that 2000 value. I will say, having to shoot THRU the cage was very difficult insofar as there were only certain positions I was allowed to shoot from. Depending on their angle from my position it could be difficult or impossible to get a clear shot. And, you're also at the mercy of where the official positions themselves at. I would say those two elements made shooting MMA very difficult. It was frustrating having all that action relatively close but not being able to capture it.

What event are these shots from. They're terrific! The guy getting g'n'p'ed has got a Chuck Liddell thing going...

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Thanks..I figure the D3 should be fine, I know its pretty clean up to 3200 ISO. I am looking forward to the challenge as it is something new for me and I have no doubt it will be difficult. Everything is the first few times.

Thanks again.

Dave

johng wrote:

• Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    What event are these shots from. They're terrific! The guy getting g'n'p'ed has got a Chuck Liddell thing going...
    It was a small event in Canton, Oh. What's interesting about low level MMA is you can have a guy all cut and athletic looking and he get's beat by what looks like a slob - simply because of skill and training. So I found it an interesting event. What's humorous was I was there for a local paper to shoot one individual - a teacher in the local school district, former pro football player and standout HS wrestler. Of course his fight ended up being at the end of the night and I think it lasted all of 24 seconds (photo 2 is from that series - he had the guy on the matt inside 10 seconds and after about 14 punches it was called).
  • Options
    monchee10monchee10 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Damn It John, why do you get all of the good shots?!?! mwink.gif
    Thanks,

Joe
    :thumb
    D200, Sigma 15-30 f3.5-5.6, Nikon 50mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8, SB600
    josephlemasphotography.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008