Options

Dahm

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited April 25, 2005 in Landscapes
I am not going to claim to have done this on purpose...But after I took this as an experimental picture with some new Cokin filters, it suddenly occured to me that since it is Passover, this picture shall be named Dahm. Dahm is hebrew for Blood. The first curse Moses and G-d used to get Ramses to free the Israelites was to turn the rivers to blood.

MainFragger

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    That's kind of cool, MF. Did you buy those filters for B&W work or special effects like this?
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Oh. And it is costomary not to say the lords name in Judiasm right? Something about if you were reading it you had to subsitute with something else ? Tring to rememeber my religion class heh
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Nope...
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    That's kind of cool, MF. Did you buy those filters for B&W work or special effects like this?
    I got it for color. I am not a big B&W person. I use it from time to time...but 98.5 percent of my stuff is in color.

MainFragger
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Neat shot. :): About your cokin filters... Are they the ones that kind of look like "plates" that you swap on and off the camera, in fron of your lens? How are they to use? I know cokin makes some good filters, but I always wondered about they're "system". What are your impressions?

AJ
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Wellll...
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Neat shot. :): About your cokin filters... Are they the ones that kind of look like "plates" that you swap on and off the camera, in fron of your lens? How are they to use? I know cokin makes some good filters, but I always wondered about they're "system". What are your impressions?

AJ
    Yes, these are the plastic plates.

I was highly skeptical of them at first, because the holder for them is generally bottomless...and I feared the filters dropping from the holder. But the tracks are tight enough to hold the filters, and loose enough to adjust them up and down to increase or decrease certain graduated effects. I mostly like them. They are light, don't require any screwing on or attaching, and are very easy to clean. But I am still trying to figure out how the plastic ends up being just as expensive as the glass versions that also have metal rings with engineered threads. I guess someone just decided, its a filter, this is the price of a filter...

The bad/nice thing about the filter "system" is that the adapter is slide on. Bad because if bumped, it pops right off, or even if you leave it on your desk. But its also nice because you can rotate/reposition the filters without having to figure out thread directions or starting points. I just wish there was a locking mechanism that would keep it stable when you WANT it to be stable.

I found a carrying case for the filter, but it only holds about 8 filters plates. I'd like to find a case that can hold like 50 filters or more.