Options

On Location Backdrops question.

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited November 6, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
I was wondering if anyone does some on-location work. For halloween I sent up my lights and backdrops at a community center and took photographs of all the children in thier costumes. I used a grey backdrop because I wasn't sure about the colors everyone would have in the costume. It came out very well.

Now I have to do proper holiday family portraits in a similar environment for charity. I'm trying not to be as boring as grey can be. I'm thinking of other props, but does anyone here do something similar and have suggestions?

Thanks,
John
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    We use a painted sunburst looking background with earthy colors. It's tan in the center fading to a dark hunter green. Adds in a nice vignette look with color, and still looks nice in B&W. However it should be noted that I drive myself and probably the clients nuts getting them precisely in the center of the sunburst - it just looks bad if they're off to one side. It works a LOT better with 2+ people or a setup where they have to sit on a stool or something you can place.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited November 6, 2008
    I've done something similar for holiday parties. I use a three light setup with a gray muslin backdrop.

If you have a lot of folks coming through, you may want to consider minimizing the props you use as it can add significantly to the time required to do the gig.

I should add that you need to pick a backdrop color that is somewhat neutral when you have lots of people dressed differently or who have different skin tones. This helps ensure everyone looks their best.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    The plan is to use a couch for the family shots. I may move it away for individual shots of kids and such.

It's a grey muslin that I have. I also have other colors but I'm aware that a neutral color is best when you don't know what they will wear.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    We use a painted sunburst looking background with earthy colors. It's tan in the center fading to a dark hunter green.
    Do you know what brand or where you bought it from? And you use this on location? You don't worry about wrinkles and the paint is holding up fine?

Thanks
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    another way to go is to use a dark grey or blk background and use colored gels over your back ground lights to add a festive feel.....I do this instead of having a bunch of muslins hanging I just add color to the back lights and have an almost endless array of backgrounds. Instead of a couch where it is hard to get everyone poised well....try using stools....I have seen very well built small stools that fold for easy storage and their cost is from 9.99 to 14.99 at Wally World, & target........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I don't remember the brand, but I may still have the package in storage (I'll try to remember to look tomorrow in the office.) I know that we picked up a $20 steamer from the local big-box and the wrinkles were gone in 10 minutes without harming the paint. It comes folded, but when we take it down we roll is on a cardboard tube. See gallery below. Some of the pics are wide enough to see about 90% of it (I think it's 10x10 or 10x12).

http://www.digitalcommission.net/MUH08/

I think it totaled up to around $175 with the stands and clamps to hold 'er up, but I like the setup. We turn it around and shoot video on the plain tan background in a pinch. In the shots I was also using a 3 point setup - key to the right of the lens, umbrella fill to the left, spot hair light above. Would prefer AC Strobes, but since we do a lot of video had to go with the constants. The great thing is the canvas backgrounds are tough, only cost ~$50 so we can have several if needed (these are cheaper than some of the hand-painted stuff on B&H.)

A nod to their durability.... During the last shoot a couple came in completely wasted... It was a dance type event so we filtered them through anyway. When they come up for their picture the girl had the bright idea to jump on his back for the shot.... without bothering to tell him about it. As they crashed into the backdrop and consequently the table right behind it, the background marred up her arm pretty badly. It was A-OK, no problems, but her arm wasn't . After they left I went and picked the last bits of skin from it before the next group arrived deal.gif

Best of luck!
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Do you know what brand or where you bought it from? And you use this on location? You don't worry about wrinkles and the paint is holding up fine?

Thanks
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler