Options

How to get videos down to 8mb?

WhitefamilyonlineWhitefamilyonline Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 25, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Greetings! I use my Smugmug site to share photos and (hopefully) video of my kids. It's strictly a family site. I'm trying to put video clips on the site, but I'm having a hard time getting the clips down to 8mb. I've tried TMPGenc and my eyes cross just looking at it. I don't understand how to use it and I can't find a tutorial that explains how to resize a video. I'm sure if I change certain quality settings, my video will be small enough, but I don't know what to change. Is there a way to set the size and have the program figure out how to do it? :dunno

I currently use Sony Movie Studio to edit my movies, but it doesn't have a simple "resizing" option that I could see.

So I paid for this video service and I can't even use it! I see other people with video on their site. How do you do it?

My site is: whitefamilyonline.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    A while has gone by and I see no has replied, so I'll take a shot.

Ulead makes an inexpensive program called Photo Explorer. I received this with another of their programs as a promotion. I believe you can buy it from their website for $30. If I remember correctly, you can download a trial copy.

I only use it for a couple of functions. It will convert mpg4 to mpg1. It also has a very easy to use trim function.

If you can download a free trial, it's probably worth a try.

See you later, gs
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Greetings! I use my Smugmug site to share photos and (hopefully) video of my kids. It's strictly a family site. I'm trying to put video clips on the site, but I'm having a hard time getting the clips down to 8mb. I've tried TMPGenc and my eyes cross just looking at it. I don't understand how to use it and I can't find a tutorial that explains how to resize a video. I'm sure if I change certain quality settings, my video will be small enough, but I don't know what to change. Is there a way to set the size and have the program figure out how to do it? ne_nau.gif

I currently use Sony Movie Studio to edit my movies, but it doesn't have a simple "resizing" option that I could see.

So I paid for this video service and I can't even use it! I see other people with video on their site. How do you do it?

My site is: whitefamilyonline.smugmug.com

tmpgenc works great for me... yeh it's quirky but once you get the hang of it..

i also use the bundled sony software, i forget what it's called, but the trick is to make about 30second or less videos :D
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Ack! I can only vouch for FFMPEG X on the mac as that is all that I have used, it lets you specify a target size and usually ends up around there. I actually have put up videos that are several minutes long - the trick being that I reduce FPS to 15, make the audio mono (usually it already, but some camera's lie and give you stereo even when your source is from one mic), and reduce bitrate down to 200 or so.
    andy wrote:
    tmpgenc works great for me... yeh it's quirky but once you get the hang of it..

i also use the bundled sony software, i forget what it's called, but the trick is to make about 30second or less videos :D