Options

Vintage Alpex Deluxe Flash

erikadorieerikadorie Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited November 7, 2008 in Technique
Hey I got this flash and wanted to try it out with my canon 30D. Is there a crafty way I can sync these two machines together?
erikadorie photography
www.erikadorie.smugmug.com

Take one d ay at a time. :photo

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Duct tape?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 6, 2008
    This one? http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/60/2b/8e_1.JPG

Where would you buy the bulbs for it, if it would work?

I think I would suggest a real, modern electronic flash as a safer, and preferable portable lighting solution.ne_nau.gif

Love your gallery!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited November 7, 2008
    To properly sync this flash bulb unit you would need a camera with an "M" (flash bulb) sync mode. Modern digital SLRs are only designed for "X" (electronic flash) sync.

The only way to use the Alpex would be in a completely darkened environment to set the camera to a very long time exposure (or bulb) and then manually set off the flash bulb, independent of the camera.

This technique does work in caves and nighttime outdoor photography including some "painting with light" techniques.

I would not try to attach the flash unit directly to the Canon camera because the surge current necessary to set off the flash bulb is waay more than the camera is designed for. You could cause serious and expensive damage to the camera trying to trip the flash bulb.

An older film camera with an "M" sync setting should be safe for a trigger for the flash bulb unit.

BTW, what battery type does that unit require?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums