Options

Day of the Zeppelin

dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
edited November 7, 2008 in Journeys
April had mentioned that the Zeppelin was going to fly over the Golden Gate Bridge for the first time since 1947. Well this just sparked my imagination into overdrive. How awesome would it be to take pictures of an airship flying over the Golden Gate Bridge? I thought of shooting the scene in B&W with a little sepia to add age to the picture.

We knew what day and approximately what time the airship was going to fly over. I knew where I wanted to take this monumental picture due to the sun's angle and the view I wanted to capture the shot. That morning I dragged a very tired and way the over worked April out to the spot loaded down with lounge chairs, bottled water, sun hats and all the photo equipment I thought we needed.

As we sat and enjoyed the view, beautiful weather and small talk, I was reminded once again what a great city I had grown up in and how lucky I am to still live so close to this picturesque city. As promised and right on time we saw the Zeppelin turning the corner at Lands End to head right towards the Golden Gate.

First a DC-3 flew over head with a few Bi-planes, then a SFFD fire boat was shooting off a full spray of water beneath the Golden Gate and finally the Zeppelin flew over the Golden Gate. This all sounded great but there were a few problems with the actual scene. First, the Zeppelin looked and was built just like a typical modern blimp. I expected a more old fashion look or something that resembled an airship form the early 1900's. Second, the Zeppelin crossed the Golden Gate at a very high attitude which did not fair well with the shot composition I had in mind. I was hoping the Zeppelin would fly over the bridge much lower then it actually had.

Oh well, we can't have it the way we want it all the time. Just hanging out with April and enjoying the views of the Bridge and Marin headlands was more than worth the effort.

Here is the fire boat showing its full spray:
405230933_XyP25-L.jpg

The Zeppelin flying Solo:
405232410_nPaPi-L.jpg

The Zeppelin flying with a DC-3:
405232127_zZP96-L.jpg

The Zeppelin flying over the Golden Gate:
405231337_DpruF-L.jpg

Here is a representation of how I envisioned the shot that should of been:
406619938_Vbj3d-L.jpg

One cool thing we did see was this wave. It appeared in the middle of what seemed to be nowhere. There was no shore or rocks that the wave was going towards. It only appeared a few of times before fizzling out not to be seen again. I would love to know if this is a common wave during a certain time of the legendary torrential currents that go in and out of the gate. I do not think the sail boat you see in the picture expected it since the wave was taller than the boat.
405231504_f6nkV-L.jpg

Well there ya go. I did not get the shot I wanted but I did enjoy my day out with a good friend in one of the most peaceful and beautiful places I know and love.:barb
My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:

Well there ya go. I did not get the shot I wanted but I did enjoy my day out with a good friend in one of the most peaceful and beautiful places I know and love.wings.gif

Hi Daniel, I saw your shots over at Flickr the other day.
    I like you version in the last shot, I saw your colour version of this one too.

Too bad it was flying so high, April said it was really hard to get a good shot of it from where you guys were.

I'm guessing there is some kind of rule about how low something can fly over the Bridge is that right?

About the wave.... is it a tidal thing, or is that something to do with the fault line? is there underwater volcanic activity in that area??

Glad you got to see the Zepplin and spend another day out shooting with a good mutual friend clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 1, 2008
    That was pretty cool.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2008
    Sorry the zeppelin flying over the bridge was such a disappointment. :-(

I've spent some time in the area (not a whole, whole lot, mind you) but I've never seen a wave like that before.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Dan, I really love that last zeppelin shot. I think it's perfect and you pulled off the World Fair look very well.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    The sailboat in the last shot?
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited November 4, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    The sailboat in the last shot?
    What????
    skippy wrote:
    Glad you got to see the Zepplin and spend another day out shooting with a good mutual friend clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    In the end, it's all that really matters. Hanging out with a good friend will always trump a good shot :D
    schmoo wrote:
    Dan, I really love that last zeppelin shot. I think it's perfect and you pulled off the World Fair look very well.
    thumb.gif
    Thanks schmooclap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 4, 2008
    That wave is amazing. I don't know I've ever seen one like that either inside or outside the gate.

If you watch the water under the bridge, you get a good idea what the tide is doing--it's amazing. I don't recall the number but it's somewhere around 3 knots at it's max. If you were at the South end of the bridge, where would the wave be?

The currents along Angel Island are also quite strong. They say something caught in that current will be thrust out the gate with amazing speed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    AFTER the wave! :D
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Could the wave be a mild bore tide? We have the Turnagain Arm in Alaska, also known for ripping currents and an enormous amount of water moving in and out twice a day, where bore tides form up quite often. It's pretty interesting to watch!

Check wikipedia's info on the phenomenon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bore_tide

Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like a good time even without the shot you were aiming for! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Looking at that wave I thought Godzilla would show up next.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    That wave is amazing. I don't know I've ever seen one like that either inside or outside the gate.

If you watch the water under the bridge, you get a good idea what the tide is doing--it's amazing. I don't recall the number but it's somewhere around 3 knots at it's max. If you were at the South end of the bridge, where would the wave be?

The currents along Angel Island are also quite strong. They say something caught in that current will be thrust out the gate with amazing speed.

The wave was several hundred yards from the Lighthouse towards Landsend. The wave was heading west to east towards the south part of the bridge. I will post the google map of the location when I get to work tonight ;)
    coldclimb wrote:
    Could the wave be a mild bore tide? We have the Turnagain Arm in Alaska, also known for ripping currents and an enormous amount of water moving in and out twice a day, where bore tides form up quite often. It's pretty interesting to watch!

Check wikipedia's info on the phenomenon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bore_tide

Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like a good time even without the shot you were aiming for! :D

Sound good to methumb.gif
    Cuong wrote:
    Looking at that wave I thought Godzilla would show up next.

Cuong

now that is too freaking funnyrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    These are very cool ! stunning
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery