Options

Problem with Copyright symbol in Caption?

agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
edited November 8, 2008 in SmugMug Support
All of a sudden, the © symbol I use in photo captions is sometimes displaying as © in the captions during slideshow? Until this afternoon, this hasn't been a problem??? Still shows correctly when viewing individual photos. I normally use Alt+0169 in the caption text which has worked fined for some time now. Also tried &# 169; but still displayed as © in slideshow. Using © also gives the right symbol in comments for individual photos.

Please advise.
Acadiana Al
Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
Blog: Journey to the Light
"Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Hello, specifically and exactly, can you direct me to the caption in question?
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hello, specifically and exactly, can you direct me to the caption in question?
    Hi, Andy. I noticed it last night in my Gallery agallia.smugmug.com/gallery/6484341_G3fec, starting with photo #5.
    • Original photos had been uploaded to the new gallery the night before.
    • Yesterday, I downloaded the gallery to my PC using AlbumFetcher (checked embed ITCP data).
    • I used Corel PSP Photo X2 to modify the files and saved as same filenames wih suffix "a".
    • Then I uploaded them to the same gallery so both the old and new files were there for online review.
    • Next I deleted all the original files from the gallery so I have only the "a" files.
    • This is really wierd ne_nau.gif. During gallery review, I noticed that the Captions and Keywords from the old gallery files downloaded via AlbumFetcher were also on the new uploaded "a" files (except #3 & #4 were blank). I hadn't added captions yet. © showed okay on all these captions. Note that old deleted filenames and new uploaded filenames were same except for "a" suffix. Can this be a clue?
    • Then I ran Slideshow and noticed the © instead of © in all photos except #1 thru #5 & #10. Photos #1, #2, #5, #10 still show © in slideshow and #3 & #4 were blank.
    No matter what I use in Caption for the © symbol, affected photos still show © in slideshow?

Could the AlbumFetcher "embed ITCP data" have something to do with this? First time I downloaded files, revised them, and uploaded again as new filenames. No other galleries seem to have the problem. Hope you can help. Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    No matter what I use in Caption for the © symbol, affected photos still show © in slideshow?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

ne_nau.gif what are you seeing, this is what I get:

20081108-ca95qrmhpjaspucxrjmabmby2s.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008
    Problem with AlbumFetcher embedded ITCP data in SLIDESHOW
    Andy wrote:
    ne_nau.gif what are you seeing, this is what I get:
    Bump
    Andy, problem didn't start until photo #6 -30 (except of #10). This is SLIDESHOW photo #6. Note captions with "©"

I tried another test -- I deleted the Photo #30 Caption and it showed blank. But SLIDESHOW still shows with full caption??? Seems to be related to embedded ITCP data in file downloaded with AlbumFetcher. FYI...My FF browser encoding is set to ISO-8859-1.

412538239_GEqyA-X2.jpg

As an additional test, I used my single photo gallery Little Things Often Missed to download/upload using AlbumFetcher 0.3.3
    • First, with embed ITCP data checked, I downloaded photo "...018a.jpg" to my PC, modified it & saved it as "...018b.jpg" (infrared), and uploaded it to same gallery.
    • Then, with embed ITCP data unchecked, I downloaded "...018a.jpg again, modified and saved it as "...018c.jpg (daguerreotype), and uploaded to same gallery.
    • 018a and 018b had same photo captions with a visible "©" symbol when viewing photos. The difference is that the © symbol in the 018b caption became "©" in edit mode. 018c, of course, had blank caption.
    • The problem: in SLIDESHOW, the "©" was displayed as "©" for the 018b photo, not a © symbol.
    Obviously, the way the ITCP embedded caption data is displayed in Slideshow changed from the download to the upload. Hope this info may be of some use. I was hoping to use AlbumFetcher as an handy tool to download, mod, and upload a gallery photo, keeping the captions/keywords intact. Guess this little bug needs to be worked out first. Please keep me advised.

Acadiana Al