Options

tips for pics of 4month old baby??

HolliReeHolliRee Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 8, 2008 in Technique
I am scheduled to do a small photo shoot of a co-workers 4 month old baby boy tomorrow. Any tips on props or poses?? I am such a beginner I do not want to screw up ALL of the pictures. I want to be able to give her some she can enjoy. Thanks in adance for any tips you guys could offer!

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    The best advice I've been given (for capturing my infant grandson's history) was to get low and shoot at eye-level - not down at the baby. Also - no flash in the baby's eyes.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 2, 2008
    Soft, diffuse light seems appropriate also.

I agree with shooting children at their eye level. For infants, this means they must be on a table or divan or some form of support, off of the floor, protected so they cannot fall off.... OR you get down on the floor with them.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:

I agree with shooting children at their eye level. For infants, this means they must be on a table or divan or some form of support, off of the floor.
    have everything ready to go before the baby shows up.
    then have like a stuff toy or keys to jingle to get them to look at you right before you release the shutter.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:

I agree with shooting children at their eye level. For infants, this means they must be on a table or divan or some form of support, off of the floor.

I shot 4-month old twins last week and the mom was scared of them falling of a table or even a pillow. I spent 2 hours sliding around on my stomach! rolleyes1.gif

So here's what I learned...

1. The baby will be happy as a clam and then start balling as soon as you take the lens cap off.

2. Bounce flash. Nothing direct.

3. Don't worry too much about props. Maybe a simple blankie if you want something else in the photo but the primary subject is the baby. Regardless, whatever you give them is going in their mouth. :D

4. Don't count on the parents being available to help you with holding reflectors, etc. They will be fully engaged in trying to keep the baby's attention focused toward you while also attempting to coax a smile.

5. Have the parent entertaining the child stand directly behind you or if you are laying on the floor, stand above you. This will keep the baby hopefully looking the right direction.

6. Dress comfortable. You'll be surprised at how much you move and the number of contortions you may have to perform for a good comp.

7. Get a couple of the parent holding the baby. It makes it a lot easier to get some tight shots of the baby. This works especially well if you have the parent pose the baby next to a north facing window for the natural light.

You can see some my results here. The password is "gggerloff". I'm no expert by far but am learning with the rest. :D

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    I shot 4-month old twins last week and the mom was scared of them falling of a table or even a pillow. I spent 2 hours sliding around on my stomach! rolleyes1.gif

So here's what I learned...

1. The baby will be happy as a clam and then start balling as soon as you take the lens cap off.

2. Bounce flash. Nothing direct.

3. Don't worry too much about props. Maybe a simple blankie if you want something else in the photo but the primary subject is the baby. Regardless, whatever you give them is going in their mouth. :D

4. Don't count on the parents being available to help you with holding reflectors, etc. They will be fully engaged in trying to keep the baby's attention focused toward you while also attempting to coax a smile.

5. Have the parent entertaining the child stand directly behind you or if you are laying on the floor, stand above you. This will keep the baby hopefully looking the right direction.

6. Dress comfortable. You'll be surprised at how much you move and the number of contortions you may have to perform for a good comp.

7. Get a couple of the parent holding the baby. It makes it a lot easier to get some tight shots of the baby. This works especially well if you have the parent pose the baby next to a north facing window for the natural light.

You can see some my results here. The password is "gggerloff". I'm no expert by far but am learning with the rest. :D

Good luck!!!

I have to shoot a school of toddlers next week, ranging from 6 weeks to 6 yr olds.....I was going to dress in black, but figured I would be all over the place and really low so I may go casual.
    -Anthony

• Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    cadguru wrote:
    I have to shoot a school of toddlers next week, ranging from 6 weeks to 6 yr olds.....I was going to dress in black, but figured I would be all over the place and really low so I may go casual.

Wow, you're going to have your hands full! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Wow, you're going to have your hands full! mwink.gif

Tell me about it....wife tells the director, my husband does it on the side....I was like GULP....went out bough a few strobes, lightmeter, etc. and have been practicing like crazy!
    I even have a salesman from the local shop on call if the lighting goes haywire on me. I don't understand the light ratio, or what level to set the lights at. I just set one to 1/2 the other to 2/3 power, metered and practiced...
    -Anthony

• Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    cadguru wrote:
    Tell me about it....wife tells the director, my husband does it on the side....I was like GULP....went out bough a few strobes, lightmeter, etc. and have been practicing like crazy!
    I even have a salesman from the local shop on call if the lighting goes haywire on me. I don't understand the light ratio, or what level to set the lights at. I just set one to 1/2 the other to 2/3 power, metered and practiced...

You may want to consider simplifying your setup. The last thing that you want to do is get into the middle of that chaos and have to worry about your equipment. Take a look at the site before you go do the shoot and see if there is plenty of natural light. If so, you may be able to get away with single strobe used for fill. It will keep you from aging prematurely. :D
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    You may want to consider simplifying your setup. The last thing that you want to do is get into the middle of that chaos and have to worry about your equipment. Take a look at the site before you go do the shoot and see if there is plenty of natural light. If so, you may be able to get away with single strobe used for fill. It will keep you from aging prematurely. :D

Thanks.
    Been there looked at everything, etc. The room I will be doing it in faces northeast, but sits at the bottom of a hill. Natural light would be great.
    I am getting there early, setting up, trying different things, then shooting away.
    I have a fellow photographer helping me with the gear and my boss aka wife handling the forms, entering them in, etc.
    -Anthony

• Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    cadguru wrote:
    Thanks.
    Been there looked at everything, etc. The room I will be doing it in faces northeast, but sits at the bottom of a hill. Natural light would be great.
    I am getting there early, setting up, trying different things, then shooting away.
    I have a fellow photographer helping me with the gear and my boss aka wife handling the forms, entering them in, etc.

I tried some last night on my son, but I was in my basement in a cramped space, so f8 was wrong. Just have to get the crease out of the background!ne_nau.gif

410882136_VVdGP-M-2.jpg

410883317_kUQG5-S-3.jpg
    -Anthony

• Options
    HammHamm Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    I just thought I'd mention... the top photo...

Don't know if this is the case or not for this photo, but portraits shouldn't be taken with a wide lens. If you're using a zoom, try to ensure you're at 70mm or up -- otherwise you end up with a "balloon head" effect. Of course, kids with naturally plump cheeks may end up looking kinda that way anyway, but exaggerating it with the lens isn't recommended.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008
    Hamm wrote:
    I just thought I'd mention... the top photo...

Don't know if this is the case or not for this photo, but portraits shouldn't be taken with a wide lens. If you're using a zoom, try to ensure you're at 70mm or up -- otherwise you end up with a "balloon head" effect. Of course, kids with naturally plump cheeks may end up looking kinda that way anyway, but exaggerating it with the lens isn't recommended.

Thanks Hamm..... it was taken with oly's 14-54mm at I think 35mm, which is 70mm with the crop factor.
    I was going to try it around 100mm, but I was practicing in my basement in a very crammed space.
    My sons do have very plump cheeks. So he has been known as Vinnie Cheeks. Us italians are funny like that :)
    Thanks for the advice.
    -Anthony