Options

Anyone know "Evolving Editions"?

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited April 26, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Anyone know "Evolving Editions"?

A month or two ago I submitted Plea in a low-res email attachment

13415160-Ti.jpg

I was really excited with this image and I guess I randomly 'shot in all directions' hoping to hit something. I hit Steve's, Kodak, and know Evolving Editions.

They claim submissions will be used in a book they will publish, Illuminations, dealing with spirituality, and on their website.

They emailed me today saying I have passed initial screening and Plea will now be reviewed by their Selection Committee. They request a signed release form for a non-exclusive license for worldwide, right to reproduce, publish, re-publish and distribute in any form of media or on any recording medium. The release also authorizes them to sub-license to third parties.
They also request the high-res original.

What do I get out of it? If Plea is chosen - $50 and 3 copies of Illuminations, and an ego-boost.

So, back to my original question, anyone know "Evolving Editions"? Is it safe sending them the high-res original and a signed release form? Is this the customary way of doing it?

Release form here

Thanks!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    No idea but i think that is still one of the better shots on this board.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Thanks gus!

Guys? Anyone? Is there any way I can check their legitimacy on the net? Is $50 worth signing the release?

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    13415160-Ti.jpg

They emailed me today saying I have passed initial screening and Plea will now be reviewed by their Selection Committee. They request a signed release form for a non-exclusive license for worldwide, right to reproduce, publish, re-publish and distribute in any form of media or on any recording medium. The release also authorizes them to sub-license to third parties.
    They also request the high-res original.

Do not agree to the sub-license or re-publish rights. Keep those for yourself. This should only be a one time worldwide right to publish in their Illuminations publication only, only, only. If they want more, they need to pay for it. If they decline your terms, then try to hit their butt on the way out. Their terms are sweeter than honey for them, and as bitter as poison for you. Don't give up control over your work for a scant $50. Your photo has the potential to make thousands of dollars over the course of your lifetime and beyond.

What do I get out of it? If Plea is chosen - $50 and 3 copies of Illuminations, and an ego-boost.

You should get copies, credit, and cash for the rights to publish the photo. These are not perks, but standard expected compensation, and on the cash side, the compensation is sub standard. I would personally require no less than $250. The copies and credit are satisfactory. So don't waste too much time dealing with them, they are not making the deal very interesting.

So edit their release for to reflect your terms. Send it to them and if they agree, then go ahead. It's your photo, you set the rules on the photos usage and compensation, not them.

If you are interested in stock pricing, do some web searches, and look at some pricing book like "Pricing Photography: The Complete Guide to Assignment and Stock Prices" by David Mactavish:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ISBN=1581152078

It will better prepare you to negotiate reasonable prices. Publishers won't push you around when they know you know what you have and are willing to charge for it. They change their tune pretty quick. So it's best to get right to the point as early as possible to avoiding wasting time for both them and you. If they are looking for a patsy, they will say goodbye, if not, they will get down to business and consider reasonable offers and occasionally unreasonable ones if they want the photo bad enough mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Shay, thanks!!! Couldn't have hoped for a more thorough reply! thumb.gif

Your photo has the potential to make thousands of dollars over the course of your lifetime and beyond.

Only problem is, where are those thousands of dollars? rolleyes1.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    That is where your skills in marketing will come into play. Check out this post:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=77315&postcount=5

Just like you marketed the photo to get it considered for the magazine. You have to market it for other places that may want to use it too. The money is out there just waiting for you to find it mwink.gif

Nir wrote:
    Shay, thanks!!! Couldn't have hoped for a more thorough reply! thumb.gif

Your photo has the potential to make thousands of dollars over the course of your lifetime and beyond.

Only problem is, where are those thousands of dollars? rolleyes1.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Excellent posts, Shay. clap.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Excellent posts, Shay. clap.gif
    Agreed...very informative.
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Nir, how did they like the new terms? Did they go for it?
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    Nir, how did they like the new terms? Did they go for it?
    I edited their release, based on Shay's post above and asked for $250 ... never heard from them since :):

But I'm not sorry! I've already had a few things published and a few more are in the works so "Plea" will have to wait for someone who really appreciates it and is willing to pay accordingly. The ago boost that comes with publishing was surpassed by my ability to stand by my terms and say "no!". Thanks Shay!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts