Options

recommendations of a camera

gelogelo Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited April 26, 2005 in Cameras
hi everyone. i was wondering what you guys would suggest if i wanted a digital camera with decent quality photos..decent video features..and was small and slimline..with good design..oh and relatively cheap in terms of its attributes. it should also have good space as i would most probably use it more for short video clips..

what would you guys suggest??

Comments

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    gelo wrote:
    hi everyone. i was wondering what you guys would suggest if i wanted a digital camera with decent quality photos..decent video features..and was small and slimline..with good design..oh and relatively cheap in terms of its attributes.

what would you guys suggest??
    I really liked the Sony V1. It's dirt cheap for its functionality. Works good in auto modes and has full manual features. I think it's quite pocketable and has very good ergonomics. The speed of the camera is very good (accurate and fast focussing)
    here's a V1 gallery of mine:
    http://www.pbase.com/giel/sony_dscv1

shout if you have any questions concerning this camera :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    AlexIsAlexIs Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I really liked the Sony V1. It's dirt cheap for its functionality. Works good in auto modes and has full manual features. I think it's quite pocketable and has very good ergonomics. The speed of the camera is very good (accurate and fast focussing)
    here's a V1 gallery of mine:
    http://www.pbase.com/giel/sony_dscv1

shout if you have any questions concerning this camera :D
    I second that. The Sony V1 has everything you want and you can take it everywhere. It was my camera on a Safari in Tanzania last year and it performed very well (not exactly the right tool for the job rolleyes1.gif ).The only trade of is that the screen is very tiny and, for what it's worth, there is no EVF, but that's the price you pay for the size.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    gelo wrote:
    it should also have good space as i would most probably use it more for short video clips..
    Does this breed of camera have Image Stabilization now? I found that video clips with my old Sony DSC-P7 were pretty shakey when handheld. So you may want a compact tripod/monopod to go with it.

Chris
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    ok thanks!

um..but does the v1 have good video functionality? because i will most probably be using it more for short video clips..oh and video stabilization isn't so important to me..but what is EVF?
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    gelo wrote:
    ok thanks!

um..but does the v1 have good video functionality? because i will most probably be using it more for short video clips..oh and video stabilization isn't so important to me..but what is EVF?
    EVF = Electronic View Finder.

Basically the new prosumer cameras that use a small LCD to display in the view finder instead of traditional optics. Like the Canon Pro 1, Nikon 8800, etc.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    i looked around the net for prices of the V1..around $275 here in Oz.. :S

maybe could someone suggest a camera that is small, slimline, and has good video functionality..but around the $150 mark? btw..i live in Australia so take that into accout..

thank you to all.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2005
    Gelo...have you seen the quality of the video from a digital camera ? If you havnt then you should check it out as it may not be what you are expecting.

I was in 'sight & sound' in brisvegas here the other day & saw some tiny little elcheapo video cameras that were doing a much better job & were way way cheaper than digital camers. I really didnt take a lot of notice but i would expect you would be better of with one of each.

My 2 bob's worth.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    i have a fuji s5000 and the video on it is not so bad..i would use it only that it's too big to carry around all the time.. im not looking for the BEST quality video..just better than the video on my phone ^_^
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    gelo, I'm with humungaloid on this one. If it's video you want, get a video camera. if it's stills, get a still camera. Otherwise, you'll be disappointed in the quality.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    ok see i WOULD get a video camera..but they are either too expensive here in australia or just too big to be truly portable. by portable i mean i want to be able to carry it in my backpack(without really weighing it down) or maybe even my pocket. i dont want the best quality video, like i said i'm happy with my phone's video but just that its too dark. i'm not gonna shoot a film or anything..
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    There are now vid cams that are smaller than a pack of durries & they are under $200 0z.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    really?! could u maybe tell me where or what camera?
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    As i said i have seen them at 'sight & sound' in brisbane & there are always heaps of the things on ebay from $120-$300.

Have you done the rounds of all the shit & glitter shops ? ...you know the shops that sell all the car sound gear & go-fast stickers to the doof doof kiddies in their hyundis with the 'melon smuggler' tail pipes ?

They are always flogging them in their cattledogs.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    the cheap video cameras on ebay though are all no-brands..i would rather trust a brand name.

i'll check out those shit & glitter shops.. =)