Nikolai wrote:
    Yay! Finally something that costs less than $25 + s/h

Yes, but is it useful?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Yes, but is it useful?
    Depending on what you shoot.
    People - not so much, landscapes - often, architecture/real estate - extremely. If I didn't have one already I'd jump on this one... deal.gif
    I know a few dgrinners who seem to have permanently attached it to their cameras (Hi Jack mwink.gif )
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    In the DSS #11 Feedback thread, Emily expressed an interest in seeing the community become more involved in providing critiques of the entries. I agree with her observation that giving and receiving feedback is an important part of these Challenges. So I thought I would try to open up a discussion about ways we might better accomplish this.

The feedback threads have generally evolved into people listing their top selections from the entries. This approach is valuable in that it highlights images that are broadly appealing within the confines of the Challenge rules. It also provides a welcome ego boost to those whose images were selected--who doesn't like to hear that someone liked their image!

Of course, those entrants who don't receive this type of feedback could be left wondering why their image didn't have the impact to be selected as someone's favorite. What could be done to improve the quality of the image or make sure it better expresses the theme? This is where broader critique could be helpful. I'm not suggesting we recreate the Whipping Post here. Just guidance and encouragement to those who are seeking to improve their work through participation in these Challenges.

Some impediments to broader critique could be:

1. reluctance to appear judgmental (especially if you don't fully trust your judgment against the judgment of people who appear more experienced or skillfull than you.)

2. Time. Some participants have tried in past challenges to provide critiques on every entry. This is a huge undertaking. I tried it for one Challenge. While the exercise was instructive, it was impossible to keep doing. Besides, it's not always evident that everyone is looking for a critique of their image, thank you very much.

So how could we as a community provide valuable critique to those who might be seeking it? Is it is as simple as just encouraging those who are looking for feedback to pose the question? Any thoughts?

And, of course, if I'm barking up the wrong tree, I'm sure you'll tell me. thumb.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Halite, this is a great post.

Speaking for myself - as a relative newcomer both to photography, and to the dgrin community - I know that I'm reluctant to offer anything other than positive comment after the selections have been to avoid seeming ilke a poor sportsman if I'm responding regarding an image that was chosen when my own wasn't! In almost all cases I know exactly why I did or didn't select one image over another in my own favorites list and, while my reasons may not match another's, I like to think I could "justify" my choices according to my own parameters if I was asked to do so :) (the very occasional photo falls into the "I don't know why, but I do know I love it" category, but with most my choices are more conscious than that!)

As is obvious from the wide number of entries which are included in folks' favorites selections (and often how different the community's choices are from the two judges'), one man's "yes" is another's "no", so I would hope that people don't take it personally, but then again - this is an artistic endeavour, and we all know how much a part of us the "artistic process" can make the end image that we produce!

My entire life revolves around (hopefully constructive!) criticism, both as a voice teacher and a singer; for this reason, I suspect I deal with it all a little differently since it is so much a part of each and everything I do - I accept that others may find it a little more intimidating than I do! But I say.... bring it on. As long as the commentary is *constructive* and designed to help us grow (or at least hear a reasoned point of view even if does not match our own) I see no reason why not. It's how we learn, surely?

As you suggest, perhaps those who wish feedback could post it afterwards as well as before (since, as you say, it's not REALLY practical for everybody to comment on everything....) Or perhaps people could comment more in depth on their favorites and the "near misses" that almost wind up in their picks? I sometimes find those the most interesting pictures, the ones that are soooo close to being winners but for one reason or another don't *quite* make it into the top 10...

Anyway, just rambling musings written in haste between students. Thanks again for opening up a great topic, Halite. thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    I like your assessment Halite and your recommendation. I think people who would like coaching/feedback should ask. Personally, I have asked Emily for feedback a couple of times. She is very very helpful (Sorry Emily if this results in you becoming even more swamped). I do think it's a good idea for us to all pitch in and provide coaching to those who really want it. I know I do.

Dan :D
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Hi guys,

I've been trying to think how we can make this possible. I am going to attempt something this round, which may or may not be practical as far as my time goes. I'm going to give it a try though.

What I'm going to do is, instead of feedback going in a thread, I will post a link to a gallery with all of the entries in it. This way, everyone can flip through the images, leaving their comments. How does this sound? It will be super easy to read, and comments can be added over time even, without cluttering up a thread.

Most of the time invested will be in populating the gallery, so if I can find a fairly quick way to do it, it might actually fly.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited November 10, 2008
    What a great idea, Emily! As long as it isn't going to require you to upload it all manually (which in some of the larger rounds could be more than tedious!!). It wouldn't work this time out, but I wonder if there's a way of setting up a "central repository" for images, so it would cut out the middle man? If you want to enter an image, you upload to the designated place and then link to it from there? (This may, of course, prove even more complicated, time consuming or for that matter costly, but just brainstorming!)

Thanks again for the work that goes into this - I haven't been around long, but dgrin and the challenges have become a real part of life in our house, and I'm so grateful for the chance to learn from this community!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Hi guys,

I've been trying to think how we can make this possible. I am going to attempt something this round, which may or may not be practical as far as my time goes. I'm going to give it a try though.

What I'm going to do is, instead of feedback going in a thread, I will post a link to a gallery with all of the entries in it. This way, everyone can flip through the images, leaving their comments. How does this sound? It will be super easy to read, and comments can be added over time even, without cluttering up a thread.

Most of the time invested will be in populating the gallery, so if I can find a fairly quick way to do it, it might actually fly.
    edited November 10, 2008
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Hi guys,

Emily, That's a great idea. It will allow us all to give and receive feedback from all of us. Though I wonder if participants would still like to know why their picture was or wasn't selected by the judges?

I'll happily volunteer time to help you out with copying the image if you would like.

Keep the good ideas coming. cheers/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Hi guys,

An elegant solution. Hope it doesn't create a time issue for you. Thanks for continuing to improve these Challenges clap.gif
    edited November 10, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    Emily, That's a great idea. It will allow us all to give and receive feedback from all of us. Though I wonder if participants would still like to know why their picture was or wasn't selected by the judges?

I'll happily volunteer time to help you out with copying the image if you would like.

Keep the good ideas coming. cheers/Peter

Judges' critiques will still apply for their chosen top ten, but it will be posted in the gallery. I'm hoping this will make it easier for me to do full feedback whenever time permits.
    Emily

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    The gallery would also neatly take care of the old disappearing image issue in old entry threads - I like it! :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    I like this idea. I did sort of think that we were critiqueing (sp) each other during the run up to deadline. However, if you do go in this direction, I would volunteer to do the gallery one week. (Or more)

Thank you for continuing to try to improve on what we have here.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Great idea about the gallery.

To save you time, why don't you just have us upload our images to both the entry thread and the latest challenge gallery? That might save you some time with copying and pasting, right? But I may be missing something.

Thanks for the work!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Hi guys,

what if someone only wants to hear nice things:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    A riddle:

What is it?

You peel the outside, cook the inside, eat the outside and throw away the inside???headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
    An Egg
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    An Egg

...the curate's? mwink.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    An Egg
    David, what's the "inside" to throw away? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    An Egg
    It's corn on the cob - that's what google searches are for rolleyes1.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
    edited November 11, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    It's corn on the cob - that's what google searches are for rolleyes1.gif
    clap.gifwings.gif
    edited November 25, 2008
    Emily,
    Ive read, but this issue i dont think was covered other than no exif = dq,
    here is my Exif from last nights shoot....

EXIF

yep, a wrong date, (the camera i used resets the date between battery changes and i did not know that until tonight looking at my exif...) should i look forward to a dq?
    (you can ask about my camera issue at the moment, but its a long story)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 26, 2008
    Emily,
    Ive read, but this issue i dont think was covered other than no exif = dq,
    here is my Exif from last nights shoot....

EXIF

yep, a wrong date, (the camera i used resets the date between battery changes and i did not know that until tonight looking at my exif...) should i look forward to a dq?
    (you can ask about my camera issue at the moment, but its a long story)

Hey Aaron,

You've got killer Canon and Nikon equipment and you're shooting with a Fuji Finepix that resets a date on you? What's up with that? And I'm supposed to take pity on you? HA!

Actually, it's my general ruling that anyone who confesses to user error/camera screwup prior to the close of a round and then sticks a reminder in the entry thread for me...I'll allow it. I figure anyone willing to push themselves further into the "Digital Sometimes-Sharp-But-Occasionally-Not Shooters" club, should be given the benefit of the doubt. thumb.gif
    Emily

edited November 26, 2008
    Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll!!!!!!!!! :ivar
    Emily

edited November 26, 2008
    Thanks !

now for the fuji?
    what can i say im going back to my roots from the P&S time in my life but for a small duration of time....ne_nau.gif

and let me tell you that little bugger is a pretty darn good camera for the conditions we were in....(FLORESCENT!)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 26, 2008
    Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll!!!!!!!!! :ivar

enjoy! i hope you save us some pumpkin pie
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 26, 2008
    Thanks !

now for the fuji?
    what can i say im going back to my roots from the P&S time in my life but for a small duration of time....

and let me tell you that little bugger is a pretty darn good camera for the conditions we were in....(FLORESCENT!)

I dunno Aaron - THIS is what we can expect from winners of the MC? Sheesh ;)rolleyes1.gifrofl (actually, I KNOW you're just doing this to make the rest of us feel better. My new xsi pulled a date trick on me that I only spotted when I went to post the EXIF for #13 - it only uses a 24hr clock and because I set it at night without realising that, I was running 12 hrs behind myself. Duhhhhhh)

And I'm with Emily - to all US forumites, Happy Thanksgiving. I'm certainly grateful for having found this place! clap.gifwave

Now, back to cooking....
    edited November 26, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    I I KNOW you're just doing this to make the rest of us feel better.

trust me, im doing everything i can to win just like everyone else... :D...

i just had a small overlook with my equipment....and btw, i might have other equipment, but i still try my best to be able to produce a great shot no mater what is in my hands....wish me luck, ive been in a slump....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    it only uses a 24hr clock and because I set it at night without realising that, I was running 12 hrs behind myself. Duhhhhhh)

Yup...Been there, done that!rolleyes1.gif

Happy Thanksgiving everone!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain