Options

Calibrating color on MacBook Pro

FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
edited November 10, 2008 in Technique
What does anyone use to calibrate the color on their screen? There are options in the display menu of my MacBook Pro. I'm just not happy with the way the screen looks, and therefore I think I'm poorly processing my photos. Any advice is welcome.
~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
my real job
looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11

Comments

• Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Flutist wrote:
    What does anyone use to calibrate the color on their screen? There are options in the display menu of my MacBook Pro. I'm just not happy with the way the screen looks, and therefore I think I'm poorly processing my photos. Any advice is welcome.

You'd probably want to look into a hardware calibration device, something along the lines of a Spyder2 Express or the newer Spyder3.

I personally use the Spyder2 Express on both my Toshiba laptop screen and my 22" Samsung LCD on my desktop and think it does a great job and it is really easy to use.

Now, quite a few people will think I'm crazy for calibrating TN screens for colour work and that only colour intensive work should be done on S-IPS based screens but not all of us have the kind of cash to purchase and S-IPS screen. So, I figured a hardware calibrated TN is better than no calibration.

Check out the Spyder's at:

http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc.php

I really think that a hardware calibration will do wonders for your colour work and make it more consistent. I recalibrate my screen every 2 weeks just to keep things consistent with the strength of the backlights fading over time.

I hope this helped!
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 10, 2008
    I calibrate my MacBooK Pro and my desktop Cinema Display with a Spyder2Pro device also. My screens look quite similar, and I find my prints match my screens closely, whether I print them on my Epson printer ( with an appropriate profile for the paper used ) or they are printed by Smugmug.

There are newer devices like the Spyder3Pro, the EyeOne Display2, and the Color Munki, that are newer and get pretty positive comments as well. (My Spyder2Pro just seems to work adequately for me, so upgrading is not a significant need for me at this time yet.)
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin