Options

"we've hidden your galleries"

PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
edited November 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi, I have this message in my homepage tab:

"To keep your control panel fast, we've hidden your galleries. To see them again, please move this box back to your homepage."

Is there any way to make my control panel "slow" and show me my galleries? Otherwise I won't be able to see them(I don't show my galleries on the /galleries page).

www.paulcao.com

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    Hi, I have this message in my homepage tab:

"To keep your control panel fast, we've hidden your galleries. To see them again, please move this box back to your homepage."

Is there any way to make my control panel "slow" and show me my galleries? Otherwise I won't be able to see them(I don't show my galleries on the /galleries page).

www.paulcao.com
    Change it to 'categories' view thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Change it to 'categories' view thumb.gif

Heya, I've tried changing it between the 'categories' and 'galleries' and the message remains therene_nau.gif
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    Heya, I've tried changing it between the 'categories' and 'galleries' and the message remains therene_nau.gif

Seems to be corrected now?
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    I don't think it is. Well it wasn't when I looked at it a second ago. Tried again to change it back and forth between 'categories' and 'galleries,' but still no dice. Anyways, I've made the adjustments in css. Works that way and I guess it keeps my control panel fast also.thumb.gif

Thanks for the help. I got the css thing from the other thread.
  • Options
    mickimicki Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    I don't think it is. Well it wasn't when I looked at it a second ago. Tried again to change it back and forth between 'categories' and 'galleries,' but still no dice. Anyways, I've made the adjustments in css. Works that way and I guess it keeps my control panel fast also.thumb.gif

Thanks for the help. I got the css thing from the other thread.

Yeah Ivar

It's not working like it is supposed to as it is still HIDDEN on the HIDDEN homepage and I really don't want it to be on my FRONT home (even if I am the only one that can see it JUST encase I accidentally hit the button and it gets seen). Is there ANYWAY that it can just be put back on the HIDDEN homepage?

I really need to see my categories and those hidden folders that way. It is driving me crazy as this is my "tree" to all of my folders. :)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    micki wrote:
    Yeah Ivar

It's not working like it is supposed to as it is still HIDDEN on the HIDDEN homepage and I really don't want it to be on my FRONT home (even if I am the only one that can see it JUST encase I accidentally hit the button and it gets seen). Is there ANYWAY that it can just be put back on the HIDDEN homepage?

I really need to see my categories and those hidden folders that way. It is driving me crazy as this is my "tree" to all of my folders. :)

Micki if you mark your non-public galleries as unlisted, the public will not see them, but you will see them when you are logged in. There is no risk of accidentally hitting a button to make them public. There is NO button that would make them visible to the public. People won't see them on your homepage unless they are logged in and there is no way for them to be logged in unless you give them your password. The "unlisted" feature is designed to solve your problem. Is there some reason that it won't work for you?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Micki if you mark your non-public galleries as unlisted, the public will not see them, but you will see them when you are logged in. There is no risk of accidentally hitting a button to make them public. There is NO button that would make them visible to the public. People won't see them on your homepage unless they are logged in and there is no way for them to be logged in unless you give them your password. The "unlisted" feature is designed to solve your problem. Is there some reason that it won't work for you?
    I understand that but actually if you put them as UNLISTED they can still be seen if you try to SEE them on your homepage. See I have a SLIDE SHOW on my home page. I don't want to go through ALL my folders. I have some that are listed and unlisted and they still show up if you don't put a Password on them. I didn't understand that at first either. See the issue is I do NOT want those categories "key word is categories" or those folders on my front page. I have my SMUGMUG set up for my WEBPAGE and I don't want a whole bunch of folder looking things on there.

I have important categories I need to not be unlisted but NOT be found anywhere in my normal webpage so I can't put it in my homepage.

Understand?

PLEASE?

(sigh)

I just want it back to the way it was before. Categories in the "private" homepage layout.

I just want my ability to see all my folders again (without them being on my front page) SLOWING down my
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    micki wrote:
    I understand that but actually if you put them as UNLISTED they can still be seen if you try to SEE them on your homepage. See I have a SLIDE SHOW on my home page. I don't want to go through ALL my folders. I have some that are listed and unlisted and they still show up if you don't put a Password on them. I didn't understand that at first either. See the issue is I do NOT want those categories "key word is categories" or those folders on my front page. I have my SMUGMUG set up for my WEBPAGE and I don't want a whole bunch of folder looking things on there.

I have important categories I need to not be unlisted but NOT be found anywhere in my normal webpage so I can't put it in my homepage.

Understand?

PLEASE?

(sigh)

I just want it back to the way it was before. Categories in the "private" homepage layout.

I just want my ability to see all my folders again (without them being on my front page) SLOWING down my

You are free to keep asking for it to be the way it was, but unlisted galleries and customization can also solve your problem. If you don't want me to explain how, I can stop trying to help. I don't mean to annoy you, I'm just trying to help you understand that there are other options that could meet your needs if you want them.

If you don't want any of your galleries or categories to be shown on your homepage at all, then you can have a separate galleries page (http://www.mvisionphotography.com/galleries) that gives you the same listing you were getting in the homepage tab (only when logged in). You'd have to do a small amount of customization to enable it. Let me know if you're interested.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    You are free to keep asking for it to be the way it was, but unlisted galleries and customization can also solve your problem. If you don't want me to explain how, I can stop trying to help. I don't mean to annoy you, I'm just trying to help you understand that there are other options that could meet your needs if you want them.

If you don't want any of your galleries or categories to be shown on your homepage at all, then you can have a separate galleries page (http://www.mvisionphotography.com/galleries) that gives you the same listing you were getting in the homepage tab (only when logged in). You'd have to do a small amount of customization to enable it. Let me know if you're interested.

but I would have to MOVE galleries

see I have weddings that are done and their last name is the gallery forever. I have sports (like the ICE PILOTS) that is mvisionphotography.com/icepilots

If I did that I would not be able to do that.

I have 45574 MB of pictures on my site right now and most of them are still available to purchase (sporting events and such).

The things that are private (and listed) are those galleries I moved from the site (like the weddings or retirements) of the tabs easily found but still findable by the direct link given to them when doing the photo shoot.

If there was a way to make a direct link for me to have this (without me spending extra time) that would be wonderful.

BUT otherwise it would seem just as simple to just add it back to where it was before.

I really liked it in the category style (personally).
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    micki wrote:
    but I would have to MOVE galleries

see I have weddings that are done and their last name is the gallery forever. I have sports (like the ICE PILOTS) that is mvisionphotography.com/icepilots

If I did that I would not be able to do that.

I have 45574 MB of pictures on my site right now and most of them are still available to purchase (sporting events and such).

The things that are private (and listed) are those galleries I moved from the site (like the weddings or retirements) of the tabs easily found but still findable by the direct link given to them when doing the photo shoot.

If there was a way to make a direct link for me to have this (without me spending extra time) that would be wonderful.

BUT otherwise it would seem just as simple to just add it back to where it was before.

I really liked it in the category style (personally).

Unlisted would work for your purposes. You don't have to move anything. You would have to mark all galleries that you don't want the public to be able to browse to as unlisted (change one option in the customize gallery screen for each unlisted gallery). Unlisted galleries can still be accessed by anyone that you give a link to, but they will not be discoverable on your site which I think is exactly what you want.

If you get comfortable with how unlisted galleries work, you could make your own page that would show you your whole categorized listing of galleries. If you don't want categories listed on your home page, then it could be on the link http://www.mvisionphotography.com/gallerylisting if you wanted so only would would go there.

So, here's how unlisted galleries work:

Nothing that is unlisted will be shown in your web page at all if the viewer is not logged in as you. A category that only has unlisted galleries will not show for visitors, but will show for you. It works. I use it all the time. I have hundreds of unlisted galleries and they are not visible to the public through browsing my site.

Look here: http://friend.smugmug.com/. You will see five categories. Ahh, but there are more categories than that in my site. There are actually seven. It's just that the other two only contain unlisted galleries so visitors never see them (Smugmug does that automatically). Go here: http://friend.smugmug.com/Sports/605604. You will see nine galleries in this sub-category. Ahh, but there are actually a total of 90 galleries in that sub-category, the other 81 are unlisted so visitors don't see them. A direct link that I give someone to any of them will work, but they aren't listed on my site, ever. That's the beauty of unlisted. You can even combine unlisted and password protected as I am required to do for some of my youth sports photography.

As an example, suppose you have the following gallery structure:

Sports
    ....Football
    ........Cowboys (public)
    ........Patriots (public)
    ........Broncos (public)
    ........Giants (unlisted)
    ....Kid's Hockey
    ........Game 1 (unlisted)
    ........Game 2 (unlisted)
    ........Game 3 (unlisted)
    ........Game 4 (unlisted)
    Family
    ....Yosemite Vacation (unlisted)
    ....Stephanie's 3rd Birthday (unlisted)
    ....Hawaii summer vacation (unlisted)
    Porfolio
    ....Wildlife (public)
    ....Landscapes (public)
    ....People (public)

When you are logged in, you will see everything. The homepage will show the Sports, Family and Portfolio categories. If you drill down, you will see the whole hierarchy. It will look just like the homepage tab used to.

When the viewer is not logged in as you, they will not see everything. In the category hieararchy, all they will see is the Sports category and the Portfolio category. They will not see the Family category because it doesn't have any public galleries in it. When they open the Sports category, they will only see the Football sub-category because it's the only one with public galleries in it.

If they drill into the whole hierarchy, this is all a visitor to your site can see:

Sports
    ....Football
    ........Cowboys (public)
    ........Patriots (public)
    ........Broncos (public)
    Porfolio
    ....Wildlife (public)
    ....Landscapes (public)
    ....People (public)

This works. If you don't want any categories on your homepage, that's fine. You can easily configure it to have them on a separate galleries page. That separate galleries page can either be available to your viewers via link on your home page or not - that's up to you.

So, the question for you to consider is would you like a new page separate from your homepage that shows your site by category like the homepage tab used to? If so, I could explain how to set that up.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    To keep your control panel fast, we've hidden your galleries.
    I have done EVERYTHING to show my galleries in my "HIDDEN" homepage tab (thank you for putting it back).

NOW I don't want someone that is not a pro coming on here saying it is easy to just look at it on my homepage and I can do this to see it somewhere else etc...

I have a "tremendous" amount of pictures that get seen and certain galleries that are open but not on my actual website but are direct places (like a wedding with their name like www.mvisionphotography.com/yourname)

I NEED to be able to quickly find these galleries on my "HIDDEN" homepage.

Now it worked when you put it back for like fifteen minutes and then "POOF" it was goon.

I can't function to find these galleries and my pictures without putting these galleries where EVERYONE can see them and look for the gallery then hide it quickly again. The thing is I can quickly get 500 hits on my site in on hour if it is a busy time (we take football pictures).

For those of you out there that are not PRO accounts or do not use this for that reason you do not understand the flow of pictures that go through this website. Keeping up with your pictures is a daily thing and for me this one thing has "ROCKED MY WORLD".

PLEASE help me. I do NOT want to put it (even if it is hidden on the front page) for fear of accidentally clicking the un-hidden button and then letting everyone see the pictures on the front which is REALLY REALLY TACKY.

Thanks ~ micki

(sorry this is another thread about this but it has not been resolved for me)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    micki wrote:

(sorry this is another thread about this but it has not been resolved for me)
    New thread not needed. Merged back. Now let me try and understand, and help.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    micki wrote:
    I have done EVERYTHING to show my galleries in my "HIDDEN" homepage tab (thank you for putting it back).

So, why not like all the others that do the same thing - we use CSS to hide the galleries, and show them only to you, logged in? ear.gif

I've been doing it this way for years and years on my www.moonriverphotography.com site - works great.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    So, why not like all the others that do the same thing - we use CSS to hide the galleries, and show them only to you, logged in? ear.gif

I've been doing it this way for years and years on my www.moonriverphotography.com site - works great.

as silly as THIS sounds my daughter and sometimes my HUBBY get into my SMUGMUG to upload pictures and if they see those on the front page (or they hit that tab by accident they know they have to hit that tab and make it go away.

They are not allowed in the "control panel"

Silly I know but I don't want them messing with things.

It just seems weird to have to work on your whole site on the front page of your "what feels like your webpage"

If this isn't resolved I understand I might have to do this. I just don't like the paranoid feeling that I would have to keep checking to make sure it is hidden. IF it isn't and one of those folders does get seen it could cause embarrassment for me. I know silly thing for me but it by making a few of these folders unlisted you can not utilize them in a blog. Since they are unlisted. You have to put them in another folder that is listed (but hidden).

"Right Click Properties" then stick in a blog to utilize for people to see those pictures.

Can't do that if that picture is in an "unlisted folder".

I have people utilizing their pictures like that in their own folders. A jewelry folder etc....
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    micki wrote:
    Silly I know but I don't want them messing with things.
    Give them an assistant password, so they can't mess with anything thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    JFriend

I know you are meaning well here but I think you are missing the point that I NEED and WANT and absolutely will PISS off CLIENTS if I make some of my WEDDING/SPORTS/and EVENTS unlisted as they do not want them (when they are utilizing them for blogging/sending e-mails about them and direct links to them.

They are findable on google searches and such.

Some of them are in the MILITARY community and such.

It is VERY important for me to keep them listen (not unlisted) but not attatched to my website.

Am I making it more clear?

I know you are trying to help but I am getting the point to be in totally tears here.

I can't even open up my silly categories right now. Yes I'm about to do what was suggested and put it on my homepage for just me to see but I hate the idea of doing that. :(

I hate that I even have to put featured folders on there but it is FOOTBALL season and I make money doing this.

(sigh)

People LOVE the fact that my website looks like a WEBPAGE and all it is is SMUGMUG.

This is important to me to keep it SIMPLE and easy for me.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Give them an assistant password, so they can't mess with anything thumb.gif

So, why not log out? Or have them use a different browser than you. Or a different computer - or as Ivar said, use the Assistant Password, for them thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    micki wrote:
    JFriend

I know you are meaning well here but I think you are missing the point that I NEED and WANT and absolutely will PISS off CLIENTS if I make some of my WEDDING/SPORTS/and EVENTS unlisted as they do not want them (when they are utilizing them for blogging/sending e-mails about them and direct links to them.

They are findable on google searches and such.

Some of them are in the MILITARY community and such.

It is VERY important for me to keep them listen (not unlisted) but not attatched to my website.

Am I making it more clear?

I know you are trying to help but I am getting the point to be in totally tears here.

I can't even open up my silly categories right now. Yes I'm about to do what was suggested and put it on my homepage for just me to see but I hate the idea of doing that. :(

I hate that I even have to put featured folders on there but it is FOOTBALL season and I make money doing this.

(sigh)

People LOVE the fact that my website looks like a WEBPAGE and all it is is SMUGMUG.

This is important to me to keep it SIMPLE and easy for me.

I'll leave this to you and Andy to work out.

If you are going to put the galleries somewhere else, then one other option for both of you to think about which doesn't ever show the galleries on the homepage and might solve the problem with your kids is to make it a different link (something like http://www.mvisionphotography.com/gallerylisting) that is where the galleries were listed, not on the homepage. You would just either bookmark that link or remember it and type it. Then, nobody would ever think they were on the homepage. But, I'll leave this to you and Andy to discuss.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    So, why not log out? Or have them use a different browser than you. Or a different computer - or as Ivar said, use the Assistant Password, for them thumb.gif

oh they are on a different computer (they don't touch my computer)

Didn't know their was an Assistant Password (wow).

I do wonder why it can't be so simple to put it back hidden in the control panel like it was.

Why?

seems so simple to me.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    ok I tried the

.homepage #categoriesBox,
    .homepage #galleriesBox { display: none; }
    .loggedIn .homepage #categoriesBox,
    .loggedIn .homepage #galleriesBox { display: block; }

in a desperate attempt to find something and it doesn't work.

(sigh)

so....
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    micki wrote:
    oh they are on a different computer (they don't touch my computer)

Then why would they ever see the site the same way as you? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Got your PM, micki - we do it all here in the forum :D
    micki wrote:

Rich will be by shortly...
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    micki wrote:
    Question

is http://www.mvisionphotography.com/gallerylisting

the same as HOMEPAGE?
    Yes, that is your homeapge: http://www.mvisionphotography.com/

If you are looking for: http://www.mvisionphotography.com/gallerylisting to show only your galleries or categories, you'll need the 'galleries page' hack John & Andy mentioned.

Did you want to try that to see if it helps?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Then why would they ever see the site the same way as you? headscratch.gif

if they signed in to upload pictures and such ~ yep (I let them work sometimes :)
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Yes, that is your homeapge: http://www.mvisionphotography.com/

If you are looking for: http://www.mvisionphotography.com/gallerylisting to show only your galleries or categories, you'll need the 'galleries page' hack John & Andy mentioned.

Did you want to try that to see if it helps?

could I make up my "own name" so that everyone in the SMUGMUG world wouldn't know it?

I just need a way to see my the galleries as right now I am going through the STATS page to see my folders.

I did try to put some of my folders to unlisted and then it took my pictures off of some of my blogs.

I don't want to use the word "gallerylisting" as other smugmuggers out there would know how to find them.
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Sorry folks. You've lost me on this one. I've read the entire thread and I still can't understand why you've removed our ability to control our galleries and subcategories from the Control Panel? It was one of my favourite features! I admit, I decided not to invest the hours necessary to try all the proffered work-arounds detailed here. And the arguments here simply don't make sense to me.headscratch.gif .

I read that the feature has been changed back, but -- after purging caches and cookies from here to Seattle -- I still can't see my galleries on my Control Panel homepage tab.

Perhaps if I understood why SM is making us do this, I'd be less disappointed. Did I miss the advanced warning discussion on this one?thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    xris wrote:
    Sorry folks. You've lost me on this one. I've read the entire thread and I still can't understand why you've removed our ability to control our galleries and subcategories from the Control Panel? It was one of my favourite features! I admit, I decided not to invest the hours necessary to try all the proffered work-arounds detailed here. And the arguments here simply don't make sense to me.headscratch.gif .

I read that the feature has been changed back, but -- after purging caches and cookies from here to Seattle -- I still can't see my galleries on my Control Panel homepage tab.

Perhaps if I understood why SM is making us do this, I'd be less disappointed. Did I miss the advanced warning discussion on this one?thumb.gif
    Guys it's coming back it was just an error that the categories list in control panel in homepage tab was removed. We'll fix it and please have patience thanks :D
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Guys it's coming back it was just an error that the categories list in control panel in homepage tab was removed. We'll fix it and please have patience thanks :D
    10 - 4! Thanks for the heads-up, Andy.thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    TheBrokenMarineTheBrokenMarine Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Wow. What an interesting read.

I'm wondering when the repair will be completed. I'm having some trouble here trying to manipulate my galleries.
    Canon EOS40D: Canon 28-135, Quantaray 70-300, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 100-400 4.5, Canon 24-105L

Pentax K10D/Pentax istDL: Tamron 70-210, Pentax 100-300, Pentax 18-55, Pentax 28-200, Pentax 28-80

www.sharpshooter-photography.com