Options

Auto ISO setting on Canon 30D ???

OmahaMamaOmahaMama Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited November 12, 2008 in Technique
I am wondering if there is a way to set the ISO to auto, while choosing the aperature and shutter.

For example, I take lots of pics of kids outdoors, so I would like an aperature of around 5.6 or so, and a shutter speed of 1/125. Is there anyway to set the camera to those settings, and the camera determine the lowest ISO possible for proper exposure?

This would be great, because then when I change locations (i.e., under the edge of a tunnel, then under a tree, then in the sun, etc.) I wouldn't have to be fussing with the settings and ISO while the children are busy getting dirty.

Any ideas? I'm also considering getting a new Canon body, so are there ay models that can do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    OmahaMama wrote:
    I am wondering if there is a way to set the ISO to auto, while choosing the aperature and shutter.

For example, I take lots of pics of kids outdoors, so I would like an aperature of around 5.6 or so, and a shutter speed of 1/125. Is there anyway to set the camera to those settings, and the camera determine the lowest ISO possible for proper exposure?

This would be great, because then when I change locations (i.e., under the edge of a tunnel, then under a tree, then in the sun, etc.) I wouldn't have to be fussing with the settings and ISO while the children are busy getting dirty.

Any ideas? I'm also considering getting a new Canon body, so are there ay models that can do this?

Thanks!

IIRC Auto ISO only became a feature since 40D. 50D has it too. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    The 30D will select the ISO automatically only in the basic mode like Auto, sport, macro, and such. In P/Av/Tv/M/ADep modes you must select the ISO. Of course if you wish to select a specific aperture value, then you must use the Av or the Manual mode.

Generally if you are shooting outside with enough light, I'd probably shoot in Av mode and select aperture of 5.6 like you are looking for. Then see what kind of shutter speeds you are getting. If too slow, increase the ISO, is too fast, decrease the ISO. If the lighting is fairly consistent, then the shutter speeds should be about the same. If the light varies a bit, your shutter speeds may fluctuate by a lot and you will have to manually adjust the ISO to get the shutter speed you want.

If you are thinking about upgrading, I believe all the digic 4 bodies (XSi, XS, 40D, 50D) have various forms of auto ISO. I remember hearing that the 50D's auto ISO is nicer to use than the 40D though, so you may have to check into that.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    . I remember hearing that the 50D's auto ISO is nicer to use than the 40D though, so you may have to check into that.
    You heard correctly.
    40D has Auto ISO range of 100..800, 50D has it 100..1,600, with ISO 1,600 being pretty much noise-free. deal.gif
    More detailed comparison can be found here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    OmahaMamaOmahaMama Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Thank you!
    Thanks to you both -- EXACTLY the info I've been searching the web for!clap.gif

Sara
    www.SaraRogersPhotography.smugmug.com