Options

n00b post

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 26, 2005 in Cameras
i just got this in a pm from a new dgrinner :wave mr. anonymous :D
n00b wrote:
hello! i thought i'd ask your advice. i'm [possibly] looking to buy my first 'real' camera but i don't really know what to look for. i'm also a broke college student so getting something very nice isn't in the books for me quite yet. any suggestions as to an affordable camera (a few hundred dollars -ish) --should i look for a digital or 35mm? i'm really interested in using lenses but i really don't know if the 'cheaper' cameras will do any justice. thanks!

ok forum, :ear

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Go digital, you only have to buy your film once. You can find free software online with which to process the shots.

You'll end up buying the camera, a card reader and some flash memory cards.

Buy an inexpensive Canon, Sony or Nikon that's in your price range. If you can, look for a camera that has as many manual controls as you can get, so you can develop your skills.

If you're not hung-up on buying new, get a used camera that has more features. Hang around the Fred Miranda site for a couple of weeks, and you'll see some. For example, someone's currently selling a Canon G2 that's in your price range, a fine starter camera. And the Canon Forums also have a flea market where good, used cameras are sold. Be smart and cautious and you can get a good deal on an older generation camera that has more features.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au