Options

Looking for Paper Recommendations

charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
edited November 12, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Hey Everyone,

I've just taken the plunge and purchased a Canon ipf5100. After a couple days with it, I feel ready to start making some prints.

Having all the choices at my disposal is quite a challenge. A good challenge, but one where I would really appreciate some help.

I'd really like to get recommendations on paper for use in the ipf5100. I'd like to stick with Canon paper when possible, or, at the very least, paper for which I can find a suitable profile. I know I'll need to fine-tune and check out different paper for different situations, so here are some typical prints:

Landscapes, where I want detail and rich color.

Sports (especially running/triathlons) where sharpness is more important than anything, even color.

Portraits, where I would want more subdued colors and not so much sharpness.

I printed one image using the included sample roll of Premium Matte. I'm not too crazy about the painterly effect it gave a landscape. I wanted detail, but got instead sort of a misty look (subtle, but not sharp). I think I would like that Premium Matte much more for portraits.

So, any favorite papers you want to share? I'm heading to B and H .com as soon as I hear some recommendations!

Thanks! Charles

Comments

• Options
    billg71billg71 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    My personal faves:

Gloss papers: Epson Exhibition Fiber($$$$) or Ilford Gold Fibre Silk($$) for the presentation prints, Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl for everyday printing.

Matte papers: Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art, Epson Velvet Fine Art, Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308. Everyday paper: Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte(formerly Enhanced Matte).

The Ilford profiles are pretty good, at least on my Epsons. Obviously, you won't find Epson profiles for your Canon, which is a real pity, the Ex Fiber is a great paper(but it's pricey). I don't think Canon has anything comparable, but you could use the GFS or the Harman Gloss FB, both of them are close and I have friends who like the GFS better than the EFP. Canon markets the Hahn Photo Rag 188 in rolls so you might be able to get the profile from Canon or you can certainly get it from Hahnemuhle.

You can get a sample pack of the Hahnemuhle(and other) papers from either B&H or Atlex, why not pick up a pack or two and do some experimenting? Try Harmon, Moab, Crane and Lumijet while you're at it.

Half the fun of getting a good printer is trying out different papers! clap.gif

Have fun,
    Bill
  • Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    thanks!
    Hey Bill,

Thanks for all the good advice. I appreciate it.

I have tried the Canon Premium Matte (included with the printer) and the Canon Glossy Photo (bought a roll). I cannot believe how different the same image looks on these papers. I've just ordered a sampler pack of the Hahnemuhle. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do.

So far, I am loving the ipf5100. Nothing about it is easy, but I just printed a 10 inch by 10 foot panorama of Joshua Tree that I can't stop looking at.

Thanks again - Charles

billg71 wrote:
    My personal faves:

Gloss papers: Epson Exhibition Fiber($$$$) or Ilford Gold Fibre Silk($$) for the presentation prints, Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl for everyday printing.

Matte papers: Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art, Epson Velvet Fine Art, Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308. Everyday paper: Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte(formerly Enhanced Matte).

The Ilford profiles are pretty good, at least on my Epsons. Obviously, you won't find Epson profiles for your Canon, which is a real pity, the Ex Fiber is a great paper(but it's pricey). I don't think Canon has anything comparable, but you could use the GFS or the Harman Gloss FB, both of them are close and I have friends who like the GFS better than the EFP. Canon markets the Hahn Photo Rag 188 in rolls so you might be able to get the profile from Canon or you can certainly get it from Hahnemuhle.

You can get a sample pack of the Hahnemuhle(and other) papers from either B&H or Atlex, why not pick up a pack or two and do some experimenting? Try Harmon, Moab, Crane and Lumijet while you're at it.

Half the fun of getting a good printer is trying out different papers! clap.gif

Have fun,
    Bill