Options

A few landscapes from a close friend

spleisherspleisher Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited November 13, 2008 in Landscapes
These were taken by a close friend of mine. There are many more!!! I'd love to know what everyone thinks!! If anyone would like to know the stories behind these shots, I'd be happy to share.

ThreeBrothers_FF.jpg

McWay-moonlite_web.jpg

return-from-sea.jpg

The-Man_F.jpg

the_council.jpg

tahoeblues.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Does your buddy know your posting his pics enormous on the internet?

Pretty cools shots though!
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Absolutely awsome seriesclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif . Especially love #1
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2008
    Sorry...
    Yeah, sorry for the huge size. I'll try to scale them down next time before I put them in my photobucket.

Glad you enjoyed though!
  • Options
    David L. MegaheyDavid L. Megahey Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I love the first one.....it's like a scene from a space travel movie.clap.gifclap.gif
    :scratch When in doubt....SHOOT IT!!!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 13, 2008
    spleisher wrote:
    If anyone would like to know the stories behind these shots, I'd be happy to share.
    Sure, I'll bite.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Sure, I'll bite.

The first one is actually a 15 minute exposure of La Jolla, CA. The storm was moving from the south to the north, and the lighning bolts occured almost exactly 5 minutes apart. Pretty cool, huh?

The second one, entitled Moonstruck, is a 3 hour exposure under full moonlight. It's at a place called Julia Pfeiffer Burns State PArk alon the Big Sur Coast in California.

The Rusted Boat, "Return From Sea" was taken on the Mediterranean coast of Israel.

The shot of the Bull Moose is Mt McKinley in Danali, AK

"The COuncil" was taken in Moab, UT

The last one is one of my favorites. It's a six hour night time shot along the shore of Lake Tahoe. Camera Oriented toward the north to create the star trails. Then the shutter is opened, for a second, shorter exposure and a flashlight was used to "paint" the boathouse.

Believe it or not, ALL of these images were made the old fashioned way... Everything you see is as it was done by the camera. There has been no post-production Photoshopping or fancy darkroom techniques performed onthem. I have actually seen the original transparancies from the camera. Pretty cool, huh? ANyway, hope you enjoyed!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Man these are some of the best photos i have ever seen
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    Thanks!!!!
    Jeff would love to hear you say that!

In the interest of full disclosure, Jeff is a professional fine art landscape photographer.

But he also is a good friend of mine.

I hope it's ok to post a link to his site here. Like I said, he's a friend. I'm not trying to sell anything or anything like that.

If anyone has any questions about any of his images, please feel free to let me know. I know quite a bit about his body of work, and I know Jeff would not mind a bit if I share info for the sake of education. Jeff loves to help where he can!

http://www.jeffmitchum.com

Enjoy!
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    I love the point of view of the Big Sur shot (JPB park is one of my favorite spots on the planet, and most photos from there focus on McWay Falls), but somehow it looks better to me small (as in on his website). Blown up, the motion blur of the water is a bit much for me.

Fantastic colors, though. Great gallery. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    I hear ya.

I actually have that shot in my bedroom. Here's a couple of links to what it looks like from my photobucket.

If you know the location, then you've probably figured out that it was done from the other side of the PCH, up on the side of the hill, not inside the park itself.

Anyway, here it is framed in my house with some good lighting. I'm not the best photographer in the world, so I hope my shots look ok. For reference, our bed is a king. The image is printed in 22 x 68. ('bout 36 x 83 framed):

Images001.jpg

Images017.jpg