Options

Canon Rebel XT new

is300soonis300soon Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited May 9, 2005 in Cameras
I just upgraded from a Nikon 995 to the Canon XT.

I take very good pictures and people who see my art say I have the eye and a gift :)

I do feel I take great pictures so I bought the Canon.

I am lost with this CANON.

It takes great pictures, I am not happy with the lens though to be honest and I want to take alot of night pictures etc etc. Mostly of SF (Alcatraz) and Las Vegas. I am really into b/w pics but it seems I will have to use photoshop with this camera.

So my question is, where can i get a lesson on this camera or Digital's in general? I need to know about shutter speed and how to take great night shots. I also have a weekend where I am going to the Sierra's to a waterfall that not many people know about, I would like to know how to work my camera to make the water looks like its flowing smooth.

Please let me know where to go from here.

thanks
David

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    David, did you always have your Nikon set to automatic?

Sounds like you're asking two questions.

1/ How to operate manual controls on a camera.

2/ How to operate the XT.

I think if you learn the first, simply reading the XT's manual will help you with the second.

How to learn a camera's manual controls? The easiest way is to Google and have your camera with you as you go through the lessons.

As for that smooth water, you just need to keep your camera's shutter open long enough. Experiment a bit, somewhere between half a second to a second should do it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 26, 2005
    is300soon wrote:
    I just upgraded from a Nikon 995 to the Canon XT.

I take very good pictures and people who see my art say I have the eye and a gift :)

I do feel I take great pictures so I bought the Canon.

I am lost with this CANON.

It takes great pictures, I am not happy with the lens though to be honest and I want to take alot of night pictures etc etc. Mostly of SF (Alcatraz) and Las Vegas. I am really into b/w pics but it seems I will have to use photoshop with this camera.

So my question is, where can i get a lesson on this camera or Digital's in general? I need to know about shutter speed and how to take great night shots. I also have a weekend where I am going to the Sierra's to a waterfall that not many people know about, I would like to know how to work my camera to make the water looks like its flowing smooth.

Please let me know where to go from here.

thanks
    David
    you're sooooo close lol3.gif Although the XT is pretty small, we have been lumping it in with the more serious cameras since it is DSLR. Check that forum, we now have quite a few XT shooters on board.

I have to say though, you have asked a book full of questions. You'll get more answers to specific questions and not "how do I use this camera!!!". That is a daunting task for anyone to take on over this forum.

I can answer one question: the kit lens is actually a great performer, but you've asked it to do maybe the one thing it can't: night shots. There is no substitute for fast glass. But in good light, that little kitty shines!

Good luck thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Go here and read everything. The focus is not necessarily on digital, but there is a lot of good information on SLRs in general. Read your manual whenever you get confused by terminology.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    thanks for the help. I guess I could say I am lazy :(

I just haven't had a moment to sit and read the book.

you are correct, I use to just let the nikon do it's thing and if they came out great the i was happy.

I am looking at two lenses now from Canon, not sure which is better for night shots or not. If i list them can you assist?

David
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    Sure. But it's easy to tell. Just look for the lower f-stop number. As you'll learn, the smaller the f-stop number, the larger the aperature. Big aperature = more light, which is usually helpful when night shooting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    Canon EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM Zoom Lens
    Model: EF 28-105 USM

Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Zoom Lens
    Model: C21-0121

d
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    The second one's faster. But it's not real fast. Real fast (and real expensive!) is f1.4 on a prime lens and f2.8 on a zoom lens.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    I don't need alot of lens for speed as in catching images. I like to point and shoot or i will be driving and see an image and get out and shoot it.

My main needs are GREAT focus on image, i would like more zoom and I need to take night shots and water shots. ETC ETC

David
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    is300soon wrote:
    I don't need alot of lens for speed as in catching images. I like to point and shoot or i will be driving and see an image and get out and shoot it.

My main needs are GREAT focus on image, i would like more zoom and I need to take night shots and water shots. ETC ETC

David
    Faster = more light = faster shutter speed and faster autofocus at night = sharper image unless you're using a tripod.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    ahhhhh i get ya...

ok so what I would do is now look for the best deal out there

I have alot to learn and i own a forum site also, so please bare with me I AM A NOOB HERE. I want to say thank you to Andy, he directed me to this site.

Thanks
    David
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    I am new to the SLR world like you. Based on the great advice I have gotten here I just bought my first lens, the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 seen here. B&H has the best price online for it, and there is a $40 rebate from Tamron if you purchase before May 1st.

I will be getting a long zoom later, but this will be good for low light and will have a bit more zoom than the kit lens.

Good luck and keep reading and shooting, that's the only way to do it!
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Tamron 28-75
    If you can only have one lens, the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a good choice. In this focal length range I try to use the 28mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4 whenever possible, but if I'm in a situation where I need to keep changing focal lengths, on goes the Tamron.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    I took this with the out of the box settings.

David
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2005
    and this one also learning.

David
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    I came into Cash and have about 250 to spend on a Canon lens.

Here is what i take pictures of mostly.

1. Water shots
    2. Waterfalls
    3. cars
    4. Females
    5. sunsets and night shots are really important.

I go to Santa Cruz, Lake Tahoe, Vegas alot on shot over 7000 pictures alone of these 3 locations total. I would like a nice zoom but something that will pay attention to detail and focus up nice. I really need your input folks, I have another Alcatraz trip in 2 weeks and a vegas trip in 3 weeks.

thanks
    David
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Stick with the kit lens, add the 50mm f1.8 "plastic fantastic" ($75) -- save the rest until later, when you know more about what you want.

Lenses to consider next ($350-500 range)

Sigma 18-50 f2.8
    Tamron 17-35 f2.8/4
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8

Truly...the kit lens and the 50mm f1.8 will take you a LONG way. You are just learning...and yes, there are better lenses, and yes with better lenses you can take better photos.

BUT -- I seriously doubt that at this point the holdback to your photography is your lenses.

And remember -- learning IS the joy of photography :)

Lee