Options

Chroma Key

Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited November 13, 2008 in Technique
Hey Everyone,

I have family coming in out of town and we've decided that we want to get a few really nice family portraits for christmas.....my parents are interested in taking a picture on a green Chroma Key then adding some sort of digital background. unfortunately, i've had a chroma key for awhile but have never used it. so does anyone have any tips on how to get the best shot and lighting??......also, does anyone have any suggesstions on how to make it smooth out.....i unrolled it and it has kind of a "wave" pattern going....and i can't just throw it in the dryer like muslin

thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Kevin CTMP wrote:
    Hey Everyone,

I have family coming in out of town and we've decided that we want to get a few really nice family portraits for christmas.....my parents are interested in taking a picture on a green Chroma Key then adding some sort of digital background. unfortunately, i've had a chroma key for awhile but have never used it. so does anyone have any tips on how to get the best shot and lighting??......also, does anyone have any suggesstions on how to make it smooth out.....i unrolled it and it has kind of a "wave" pattern going....and i can't just throw it in the dryer like muslin

thanks!!

You said you unrolled it.....but have you hung it from the background stands....also can it be lightly steamed whilst hanging.......I have never owned a CK backdrop so I have no real idea as to what they are made of.....but hanging an alowing to hang will take a lot of wrinkles and waves out of a lot of backgrounds........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    iotashaniotashan Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    The #1 rule to shooting on a green screen is that the lighting should be even on the screen, and ideally a stop or two brighter than the subject. One tip I've heard is to have the subject 5-6' away from the screen.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    iotashan wrote:
    The #1 rule to shooting on a green screen is that the lighting should be even on the screen, and ideally a stop or two brighter than the subject. One tip I've heard is to have the subject 5-6' away from the screen.

yeah......must be far enough away so that the reflection off the screen do not give the screen cast on the subject...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website